IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HID Kits Main Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 02:47 AM
Eug421
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID Kits Main Concerns

I have read almost every single thread about HID kit installation or problems on this forum but still not too clear about certain things.
1) Most people recommend the Xenon Depot 4300K kit.
How are everyone's kits so far? Any problems and how long will it be before I have to replace the bulb? And how hard will it be to replace them and how much would it cost?
2) Is it true that if I have the after market HID kit installed I can't keep the light on auto mode? And how about the auto shut off feature when you park the car? Do I have to manually turn it on and off every single time when I get in and out of the car if I got the kit?
3) As I was told and after extensive research the 4300K is supposingly the brightest but is a Bright white with a slight tint of yellow. How yellow are we talking about here?
4) What would the installation of the kit do to my warranty? Cause I have the warranty upgrade to 7 years or 100K.
5) What's the best place to have it installed in San Francisco, CA? Preferrably some place that has done numerous 2IS before.
Much help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID Kits Main Concerns-eh-2is.gif  
Old 03-10-07, 06:02 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

1) I have the XD kt, it is nice but I would say it depends more on your installation. A hacked in XD wouldn't be as nice as a beautifully installed MTEC.

2) You can. I don't because I go into parking garages that are not well lit several times a day and it is bad for HIDs to come on and then go off in a minute or so. Not sure how much this is based in fact but it makes enough sense to me to just leave mine on manual.

3) Yes the 4k bulb is a bright white with just a slight tinge of yellow. They are leaps and bounds whiter than your OEM halogens though, so no worries there.

4) You headlight warranty will probably be shot. The gray area would be the electrical system and this is where I think the XD kit is better as it doesn't use the cars OEM wiring at all to power the bulbs, just the the on/off sense.

5) No idea. I'm not in SF, post in the NorCal subforum perhaps.
Old 03-10-07, 08:48 AM
Eug421
Driver

Thanks Dabigman. Good point on the installation part.
Old 03-10-07, 08:50 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. xd offers warranty also... check out their website at xenondepot.com... i believe it's a one year warranty. 150 per bulb to replace on their website
2 you CAN keep it on auto but like dabigman said it's not recommended going through dark areas having your lights turn on then off under a minute
3 same as what he said
4 warranty.... if there is a problem... take it out and put your regular bulbs back in... should only take 15 minutes to remove and install.
5 best place to install? your house.... yourself
Old 03-10-07, 09:05 AM
Eug421
Driver

Yeah the auto mode should be off cause the bulb has to warm up. Thanks Batmobile. So I think it's ok to have it auto shut off after parking then. Still in search of a good place to install it cause I'll mess it up if I did it myself.
Old 03-10-07, 09:21 AM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by Batmobile
5 best place to install? your house.... yourself
If you have NOT seen any HID kit installation before, I highly not recommend you do it yourself.

But, if you have seen one, like I did when I took my car to the shop to have the kit install, then I think the installation is pretty straight forward that one can do it his/herself.

Also remember, you have to drill a HOLE in the dust cap of the headlight assembly if you gonna get the XexonDepot kit which actually a really good kit.

I got a XenonDepot 6000k kit as oppose to 4300K.

My thought was if i'm gonna spend my money on an aftermarket HID kit ($440), then I want it to be noticable.

You will notice a huge light output even if you go with the 6000K. Although it's less than the 4300K, it's defintely way brighter than the stock halogen.

I also got Tungsten Pearl and I went with the 6000K after a recommendation from another CL member who also own a Tungsten Pearl (STIG). The end result is I absolutely love it. I even turn my low-beam on even when it's a just a little dark because I want to get rid of the YELLOW DRL and have people notice that even a Lexus can have a frigging bright white light, not just BMW or M-B.

I hope this information is helpful and I noticed that people have not answer your question yet regarding the automatic shut off. That function is still work. So if you turn on the light and shut down your car, the light will continue to turn off after a while by itself (assuming you didn't change any personal setting).

If you're looking for a shop in the Bay Area, then most people gonna recommend ExactMotor (look it up under CL vendor). I don't know how much it costs because I didn't take my car there. If you still have question, feel free to PM me. I'm from Sac and STIG (Linn) from Berkeley.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-07, 09:34 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eug421
I have read almost every single thread about HID kit installation or problems on this forum but still not too clear about certain things.
1) Most people recommend the Xenon Depot 4300K kit.
How are everyone's kits so far? Any problems and how long will it be before I have to replace the bulb? And how hard will it be to replace them and how much would it cost?
2) Is it true that if I have the after market HID kit installed I can't keep the light on auto mode? And how about the auto shut off feature when you park the car? Do I have to manually turn it on and off every single time when I get in and out of the car if I got the kit?
3) As I was told and after extensive research the 4300K is supposingly the brightest but is a Bright white with a slight tint of yellow. How yellow are we talking about here?
4) What would the installation of the kit do to my warranty? Cause I have the warranty upgrade to 7 years or 100K.
5) What's the best place to have it installed in San Francisco, CA? Preferrably some place that has done numerous 2IS before.
Much help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

I've had my car for 6 month, and my hids aren't yellow anymore... More like a bright white, or so thats what all my friends say. Not blue, but then I like the white better than the blue or purple.
Old 03-10-07, 09:49 AM
Eug421
Driver

Nuster why didn't u just get rid of the DRL altogether? Kept it there for safety purposes? Good point if u paid 440 that u want people to notice. But I honestly still can't tell between the stock hids from aftermarkets if a 2IS drove by me.
IS MIne u've the XD 4300K kit right? I prefer the bright white more personally though I seen really nice ones here or on the rd. But some kits have that bluish not white not blue tint and it's a bit tacky.
Old 03-10-07, 09:55 AM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by Eug421
Kept it there for safety purposes?
I don't think it's worth to disable the DRL. It's OK when during the daylight, but when it's getting dark then it makes the car look a little cheap.
Old 03-10-07, 10:02 AM
Eug421
Driver

Yeah true that. Plus even the 2IS with OEM HIDs have the same halogen DRLS we do right?
Old 03-10-07, 10:18 AM
Eug421
Driver

Just spoke to ExactMotor they quoted me 180 for the installation said it was gonna be 2 hour work. That's pretty high for what I've read some people got it done around $60-90
Old 03-10-07, 03:18 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello,

1) The 4300k kit may have a slight yellowish tinge once you install the kit however the Philips 4300k bulbs do colour shift. They will get slightly bluer with time. According to Philips the bulbs will reach colour temperatuers of up to 4700k.

2) The XenonDepot kits come with a one year warranty. Should something go wrong, you are fully covered as we do stand behind our products. XenonDepot has been selling HID conversion kits for 6.5 years now and have been an advertising vendor on this site for a while as well. Essentially, an advertised warranty is really only good so long as the place you purchase the kit from stays in business.

3) We sell our products to several Lexus dealerships. They like the product due to the additional wiring harness. The harness literally plugs into your OEM wiring harness with no wire splicing or cutting. Everything is plug+play and the harness will ensure you do not strain your vehicle's wiring harness.

Steve
Old 03-10-07, 03:20 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hello,

1) The 4300k kit may have a slight yellowish tinge once you install the kit however the Philips 4300k bulbs do colour shift. They will get slightly bluer with time. According to Philips the bulbs will reach colour temperatuers of up to 4700k.

2) The XenonDepot kits come with a one year warranty. Should something go wrong, you are fully covered as we do stand behind our products. XenonDepot has been selling HID conversion kits for 6.5 years now and have been an advertising vendor on this site for a while as well. Essentially, an advertised warranty is really only good so long as the place you purchase the kit from stays in business.

3) We sell our products to several Lexus dealerships. They like the product due to the additional wiring harness. The harness literally plugs into your OEM wiring harness with no wire splicing or cutting. Everything is plug+play and the harness will ensure you do not strain your vehicle's wiring harness.

Steve
I disagree, they don't colour shift, they color shift!
Old 03-10-07, 03:22 PM
Eug421
Driver

Thanks Steve
Will be buying from you soon
Just need to find the place to have it installed first
Eug
Old 03-10-07, 03:40 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

lol. It took me a second to figure that one out... Its saturday...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Kits Main Concerns