IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First wax of the year today, and WOW did winter mess up my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
b737dog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Thx a bunch, do you think I could stick with Meguiars on all products, or do you only like them for the ones you suggested. Also if doing by hand do you ever wnat to do anything using circular motions?

Lastly, if I've not done anything in 6 months or so, what's most critical in what order, wax/sealant then polish?
First off, I am somewhat ****. Get if from my Father. I used to enter my Porsche 928GT in concours events and became somewhat of a product snob. Meguiars products are good. There are products I like better but Meguiars will do you just fine. Good sources for products and techniques are www.properautocare.com, www.autogeek.net, www.superiorcarcare.com, and www.autopia.org. Some very good info on these sites. I never use circular motions. The most important thing you need to do is prep the paint before applying a wax or sealant. You possibly need to clay. I do not use clay because my cars stay garaged and out of the elements. Wash with a good/safe mit, dry with a waffle weave or big blue drying towel, polish and then wax. Let wax cure for 24 hrs and wax again to really give the paint some extra pop. The referenced websites will take you through all the steps. I learned a whole lot on autopia.org. Lastly, post pics here when finished. I am detailing my new IS350 next week and will post pics.
Old 03-13-07, 12:07 PM
dcreamer
Driver School Candidate

I was DUMB enough to purchase my new 07' on Feb 10th. I ASSUMED the worst weather was past for the east coast. NOPE, got three scratches on the hood and one over the drivers door with less than 800 miles........prayin for spring.....and a good detailer......
Old 03-13-07, 01:42 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Yea I started the coats of touch-up paint today. It looks good, you can't really tell unless you get really close and look for them. I am going to find someone who can give me an idea on how to get those light scratches off the hood, they REALLY show up in the sun. Also, on the trunk, there are those swirl marks that look 3D in the sun, like they are hovering over the surface, if you know what I mean, does anyone know how to get those out, or will a good detailer get them out for me. I am just now starting to study how to really detail my car. I am waiting until I am back home for the summer until I start doing that, but i am interested to learn
Old 03-13-07, 02:30 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Yea I started the coats of touch-up paint today. It looks good, you can't really tell unless you get really close and look for them. I am going to find someone who can give me an idea on how to get those light scratches off the hood, they REALLY show up in the sun. Also, on the trunk, there are those swirl marks that look 3D in the sun, like they are hovering over the surface, if you know what I mean, does anyone know how to get those out, or will a good detailer get them out for me. I am just now starting to study how to really detail my car. I am waiting until I am back home for the summer until I start doing that, but i am interested to learn
Old 03-13-07, 03:24 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

This stuff don’t bother me no more. I have had enough new cars now over the years that I pretty much know crap is going to happen ot the car. I washed my car the other day and found a crap load of problems (big ol door ding). But you know what, its a car. Its gonna happen to the car. Within the first year, you will have something wrong with the exterior. I kind of see my Lexus as a car now. I don’t wash it 2 times a week like I used to back in 1995... Hell I take it through the car wash. I just enjoy driving the cars now and I don’t really care what everyone thinks when they see it. I don’t have to worry about where I park it and when. Life is so much less stressful, there’s so many more important things in life.
Old 03-13-07, 08:05 PM
omihomiii
Rookie

what's the best way to get rid of buff marks?? Cutpolish?
Old 03-13-07, 08:36 PM
b737dog
Rookie

Originally Posted by omihomiii
what's the best way to get rid of buff marks?? Cutpolish?
What exactly is a buff mark? Probably a semi-abrasive polish and an orbital buffer. Always start with the least abrasive product.

Last edited by b737dog; 03-13-07 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 10:27 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b737dog
First off, I am somewhat ****. Get if from my Father. I used to enter my Porsche 928GT in concours events and became somewhat of a product snob. Meguiars products are good. There are products I like better but Meguiars will do you just fine. Good sources for products and techniques are www.properautocare.com, www.autogeek.net, www.superiorcarcare.com, and www.autopia.org. Some very good info on these sites. I never use circular motions. The most important thing you need to do is prep the paint before applying a wax or sealant. You possibly need to clay. I do not use clay because my cars stay garaged and out of the elements. Wash with a good/safe mit, dry with a waffle weave or big blue drying towel, polish and then wax. Let wax cure for 24 hrs and wax again to really give the paint some extra pop. The referenced websites will take you through all the steps. I learned a whole lot on autopia.org. Lastly, post pics here when finished. I am detailing my new IS350 next week and will post pics.
Regarding clay, I know it's done after a wash, but can clay ever add more scratches? Or is that a risk worth taking in order to get any remaning dirt removed. Also what solution do you use with a clay bar, soapy water?
Old 03-14-07, 10:45 AM
b737dog
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
Regarding clay, I know it's done after a wash, but can clay ever add more scratches? Or is that a risk worth taking in order to get any remaning dirt removed. Also what solution do you use with a clay bar, soapy water?
The sites I previously recommended go into much detail on the clay process. You use a lubricant with it like quick detailer. Read the info on the sites. Very informative.
Old 03-16-07, 01:03 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b737dog
The sites I previously recommended go into much detail on the clay process. You use a lubricant with it like quick detailer. Read the info on the sites. Very informative.
Thx will do... was just looking for the cliff-notes version!