IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First wax of the year today, and WOW did winter mess up my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 07:55 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First wax of the year today, and WOW did winter mess up my car

I finally got a sunny, 60 degree day and took my car out for a nice cleaning. When I got all the grime off with soap and water, I stood back for an inspection on how bad winter messed up my paint, and well I WANTED TO CRY! I have at least 6 knicks in the hood, a giant scratch and some crazy swirl marks. I have decided to have it repainted come April. I need a new rear bumper because some a**hole backed into me in a parking lot and its all scratched, not cracked or broke thank God. I have knicks everywhere and little scratches. I took the clay bar to my car today for a good 3 hours, It helped but man was I in a bad mood today. It looks pretty good now, but I still have a lot of work to do. EVERYONE WHO IS IN CALIFORNIA OR ANYWHERE THAT HAS NICE WEATHER YEAR 'ROUND, YOU ARE SOO LUCKY.

Anyone else find little damages from winter? Lemme know....
Old 03-11-07, 07:59 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Yea, I know how it feels... I JUST waxed my car and found somethings that I didn't wanna see....
Old 03-11-07, 08:04 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

wow, i've seen some crazy posts about being all iced up outta asia, sounds familiar here.

i'm lucky i'm in CA. i would go nuts over there as i cringe if it just rains. but the environmental fallout is crazy here, and that what sneaks up on ya out here!
Old 03-11-07, 08:19 PM
gassman
Pole Position

If your paint looks bad due to winter sh_t on the road, how does your front windshield look? Mine is peppered with rock nicks/chips.
Old 03-11-07, 09:22 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gassman
If your paint looks bad due to winter sh_t on the road, how does your front windshield look? Mine is peppered with rock nicks/chips.
My windshield, luckily, is just fine. no knicks or scratches.

Today was the first day that I ever used a clay bar, and I am mad that I didn't know abou them before. That bar took off so much gunk and contaminents, I loved it. It really did help, But I am going to start layering the touch-up paint tommorow, then go get an estimate on my hood and bumper, unfortunately. I HATE WINTER.
Old 03-12-07, 03:42 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After repainting, consider a clear bra.
Old 03-12-07, 05:20 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
After repainting, consider a clear bra.

I forgot to look where you're from, but I'm in MA and have the terrible winters too. I sucked it up and spent the money on the clear bra before i picked it up at the dealer. I'm so glad i did. almost 2000 miles in the dead of winter, and no knicks to be seen. I've done about 4 touchless carwashes so far and couldn't be happier with the clear bra's protection. Touchless sucks though, can't wait to hand wash her and clay bar her. I'm thinking about the zaino kit...i've heard great things.

anyway...

before you spend an insane amount of money to repaint your car, go have a reputable detailer check it out. I detailed for 3 years, and small to medium scratches, and all swirl marks can/should come out if done properly. And you'll pay $300 at the most for an excellent detail. if you know how to use a variable speed buffer with wool pads, and compound/glaze, magic can happen.
Old 03-12-07, 06:19 AM
DKB
Rookie

Not to mention most auto appraisers will spot a repaint and will associate it with a wreck and knock off $1500-3000
So $1000 to repaint plus the depreciated $1500 those knciks and scratches will cost you alot

Just check out a reputable detailer he should be able to hook you up
Old 03-12-07, 07:51 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

If I lived somewhere other then CA- I would buy a winter beater-

Even for Home Depot trips and other things that are going to screw up my car I bought a 98 Toyota Camry with 85,000 miles for $1700-

Beater Cars FTW!!!
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I've got plenty of concern areas, but most people wouldn't notice about 98 percent of them.

I know we're not in the detail thread, but just curious what types of polish/wax you guys use. How often do you do either... and if doing either by hand, do you use circular motions or only front to back motions?
b737dog
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
I've got plenty of concern areas, but most people wouldn't notice about 98 percent of them.

I know we're not in the detail thread, but just curious what types of polish/wax you guys use. How often do you do either... and if doing either by hand, do you use circular motions or only front to back motions?
I use a porter cable orbital buffer. My cars stay near perfect. Living in ATL and havind a Toyota Tacoma helps as I do not drive my car in any wx. I use P21S paintwork cleansing lotion, Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion and some times 3M imperial hand glaze. Meguiars DACP is good for minor swirls/oxidation. So is 3M swirl mark remover. My favorite wax is pinnacle souveran if your car is red or black. Otherwise, pinnacle signature series II or P21S which is also called S100 and sold at Harley stores. I always wax forward to back and use microfiber towels to remove. Wax lasts 90 days max so it needs to be done often. Might want to consider a sealant if you need more time between detail sessions.
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b737dog
I use a porter cable orbital buffer. My cars stay near perfect. Living in ATL and havind a Toyota Tacoma helps as I do not drive my car in any wx. I use P21S paintwork cleansing lotion, Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion and some times 3M imperial hand glaze. Meguiars DACP is good for minor swirls/oxidation. So is 3M swirl mark remover. My favorite wax is pinnacle souveran if your car is red or black. Otherwise, pinnacle signature series II or P21S which is also called S100 and sold at Harley stores. I always wax forward to back and use microfiber towels to remove. Wax lasts 90 days max so it needs to be done often. Might want to consider a sealant if you need more time between detail sessions.
Thx a bunch, do you think I could stick with Meguiars on all products, or do you only like them for the ones you suggested. Also if doing by hand do you ever wnat to do anything using circular motions?

Lastly, if I've not done anything in 6 months or so, what's most critical in what order, wax/sealant then polish?
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b737dog
First off, I am somewhat ****. Get if from my Father. I used to enter my Porsche 928GT in concours events and became somewhat of a product snob. Meguiars products are good. There are products I like better but Meguiars will do you just fine. Good sources for products and techniques are www.properautocare.com, www.autogeek.net, www.superiorcarcare.com, and www.autopia.org. Some very good info on these sites. I never use circular motions. The most important thing you need to do is prep the paint before applying a wax or sealant. You possibly need to clay. I do not use clay because my cars stay garaged and out of the elements. Wash with a good/safe mit, dry with a waffle weave or big blue drying towel, polish and then wax. Let wax cure for 24 hrs and wax again to really give the paint some extra pop. The referenced websites will take you through all the steps. I learned a whole lot on autopia.org. Lastly, post pics here when finished. I am detailing my new IS350 next week and will post pics.
Awesome! Thx a bunch! Off to work now, will research more later!
murph550
Driver

Originally Posted by Burst32
I finally got a sunny, 60 degree day and took my car out for a nice cleaning. When I got all the grime off with soap and water, I stood back for an inspection on how bad winter messed up my paint, and well I WANTED TO CRY! I have at least 6 knicks in the hood, a giant scratch and some crazy swirl marks. I have decided to have it repainted come April. I need a new rear bumper because some a**hole backed into me in a parking lot and its all scratched, not cracked or broke thank God. I have knicks everywhere and little scratches. I took the clay bar to my car today for a good 3 hours, It helped but man was I in a bad mood today. It looks pretty good now, but I still have a lot of work to do. EVERYONE WHO IS IN CALIFORNIA OR ANYWHERE THAT HAS NICE WEATHER YEAR 'ROUND, YOU ARE SOO LUCKY.

Anyone else find little damages from winter? Lemme know....
Yea, i found alot of things here...
1) Swirl marks on the deck lid
2) Various stone chips on the front bumper.
3) A light coat of brake dust that is nearly impossible to get off my wheels, from waiting so long to wash it because of all the crappy weather.
4) And worst of all a very shallow dent about the size of a golf ball on my hood. Either some idiot at my school hit my car with a ball of some sort, or it is from ice falling off someone's roof.
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst32
My windshield, luckily, is just fine. no knicks or scratches.

Today was the first day that I ever used a clay bar, and I am mad that I didn't know abou them before. That bar took off so much gunk and contaminents, I loved it. It really did help, But I am going to start layering the touch-up paint tommorow, then go get an estimate on my hood and bumper, unfortunately. I HATE WINTER.
make sure u give it a good wax right after the clay bar......

Quick Reply: First wax of the year today, and WOW did winter mess up my car