IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking for some straight answers on Exterior Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 10:06 AM
Litespeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some straight answers on Exterior Lights!

Before I get flamed, yes I searched and spent the weekend reading pretty much every post on HIDs, DRLs, Fogs, etc... I just want to sanity check my thoughts on a couple issues and get people's takes on it.

Firstly, on the DRL issue. It seems the common consensus is that its impossible to get a "HID-Like" color from the DRL because its the lower wattage that gives the bulb a Yellow color. Any attempt to swap out the bulbs to something more white or blue either reduces the High Beam output or ends up still looking yellow, so most people have the dealers disable the DRL. I'm fine doing this, but wanted to see if anyone had success swapping out the bulb for one with a better DRL look without sacrificing the High Beam output.

Secondly, it seems that the best bet for matching the fogs to the stock HIDs is to purchase an aftermarket HID setup. Based on the posts I've read, Xenon Depot seems to have a pretty good reputation and the "plug and play" wiring is appealing. I've got 2 questions around this.

Which matches the stock HID's the closest, the 4,300k or the 6,000k?

I know our stock HIDs are rated to be 4,200 if I'm not mistaken so I'm assuming 4,300 would probably be the best bet.

Also, regarding the installation... how difficult is it to install a HID kit in the fogs?

I've read plenty of info on how to install aftermarket HIDs in the main lights, but nothing around the fogs. Is there ample room for the ballasts?

Do you recommend the normal conversion kits or the Xtreme? Price isn't an issue.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-07, 03:16 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Litespeed,

As per your questions:

1) DRL Issue - This would involve changing over your high beam bulb as you already know. I havent had experience with this type of application howevre my personal experience with super white halogen bulbs or fake xenon halogen bulbs is that they burn out quite quickly. Furthermore, they are not cheap to replace.

2) Fog HIDs - I would go with the 9006 4300k kit for the closest match to OEM. You may find the 4300k bulbs a little yellowish initially compared to your stock low beam HIDs however the Philips 4300k bulbs do colour shift and get slightly bluer with time. I think that you may find the 6000k bulbs a little too bluish/purplish in comparison to the OEM 4300k bulbs. Something you may want consider is 3000k Yellow =)

3) Installation - On the IS, installing fog light HID will not require you to modify the vehicle in any way. From what I have seen, most people have been able to mount the HID components underneath the headlights when performing a fog light upgrade.

4) Xtreme vs XenonDepot - Both are great. Its really a question of what you are looking for. If you want to match your OEM HIDs stick with the 4300k XenonDepot kit as the Xtreme 6500k will look too purplish.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 03-13-07, 04:42 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

You can change the DRL bulb to an LED bulb. That's what I did and they look little bluer than my stock HID's. I use my hight beams all the time and never had problems with the bulb burning out. Here's a picture to show you how the DRL look.
Old 03-13-07, 04:46 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Here's a little better picture: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...light=velocity
Old 03-13-07, 05:07 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

If I'm not mistaken, you changed your "city lights". The DRL is actually the high beam run at half the power. So, if you can use your high beam (and it still functions as a high beam), then you didn't change it.
Old 03-13-07, 05:09 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, you changed the parking lamps, not the high beams, Smoky. The high beams are the yellow lights when the headlamps are off.
Old 03-13-07, 05:13 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

So that means that my IS350 has 2 Hight Beams? The yellow high beam and the xenon high beam from the bi-xenon lights?
Old 03-13-07, 05:29 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

smoky...what type of bulbs did you use to change your parking lights? thanks
Old 03-13-07, 05:34 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iskcon
smoky...what type of bulbs did you use to change your parking lights? thanks
The bulbs mentioned in this thread: http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...light=velocity
Old 03-13-07, 05:44 PM
Litespeed
Driver School Candidate

I actually changed out the same blubs as you did to the LED lights. It does make a difference when your main lights are on, but the DRLs are the High Beams, as was said... That's the main issue. I went ahead and ordered the 4,300k HID Kit from Xenon Depot for my fogs... At this point, I'm going to have the dealership turn off the DRLs next time I'm in there unless someone can give me another suggestion!
Old 03-13-07, 10:31 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yea smokey , you changed out your parking lights. Not the high beam/drl.

litespeed: there is no way to do it. I am in the same boat as you and am basically getting my drl's shut off. I changed my fogs to the sylviania ultrastars or whatever they are called and am pretty happy with that. I am replacing my parking lights with leds this week.

you did your research. No flames should come from your post.
Old 03-21-07, 01:14 PM
Foodplz
Driver

I've read about the PIAA TERA 9005 LEDs. LEDs don't yellow when drawing half power and thus should work (theoretically). However they cost an arm and a leg (+85USD) and I am not willing to experiment just yet. Worst case scenario you can use them for your fog lamps?

Has anybody tried those bulbs?
Old 03-21-07, 02:46 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

nope.

I was just going to add to this thread. I replaced my puddle lamps with some led's and it looked like ***. I think I need to get the leds that refract.
Old 03-21-07, 03:54 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
nope.

I was just going to add to this thread. I replaced my puddle lamps with some led's and it looked like ***. I think I need to get the leds that refract.
yeah regular LED's will just shine down and not give off to much light...refractor LED's go in all directions and it is much brighter. I changed my puddle lamps to blue led's (5 refractor 194)
Old 03-21-07, 07:59 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

yea, I think if the puddle light actually faced down the 4 or 6 bulb led's would work great, but as you know from swapping these out, that when you put the straight pointing led in the puddle lamp it's actually facing towards the car shooting that way.

So good tot hear the refracters worked well for you? Does it light up as much area as before?

Quick Reply: Looking for some straight answers on Exterior Lights!