IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Service manager gave me a hard time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07 | 12:12 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I don't have time to clean my wheels every other day. My car looks old & ugly if I drive for 3 days without washing it just because of the wheels. I don't race my car or drive fast. I want it pretty and shiny! I'm gonna call my service advisor!
Old 03-18-07 | 04:17 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

This TSB Bulletin everyone is talking about.

Does this apply to both the 350 and 250?

TIA.
Old 03-18-07 | 04:42 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by optsgirl
This TSB Bulletin everyone is talking about.

Does this apply to both the 350 and 250?

TIA.
Only the 350
Old 03-18-07 | 06:11 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Ok a few things:

A. Most of the people making negative comments haven't had the work done, I had it done 2 weeks ago - I haven't felt any significant changes in braking power or distance. In fact feels a bit more solid to me.

B. This whole brake issue reminds me of performance mods discussion, specifically the "feeling of a hp/torque increase" aka the "butt-o-meter". Everyone's experience is going to vary, some people think there's some difference, others minimal or no difference.

All I know is that they feel identical to me, I got a free set of front brakes and my BBS wheels are no longer black about 5 minutes after I clean them.

Great upside for me, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-19-07 | 07:53 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default brake dust

Non-issue.
Old 03-19-07 | 04:31 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Ok a few things:

A. Most of the people making negative comments haven't had the work done, I had it done 2 weeks ago - I haven't felt any significant changes in braking power or distance. In fact feels a bit more solid to me.

B. This whole brake issue reminds me of performance mods discussion, specifically the "feeling of a hp/torque increase" aka the "butt-o-meter". Everyone's experience is going to vary, some people think there's some difference, others minimal or no difference.

All I know is that they feel identical to me, I got a free set of front brakes and my BBS wheels are no longer black about 5 minutes after I clean them.

Great upside for me, your mileage may vary.
Well said. Hope this puts this issue to bed once and for all.
Old 03-19-07 | 07:16 PM
kinjiru
Driver School Candidate

Quote: aka the "butt-o-meter".

Hahahaha - Classic!! Because it's SO true! Well put.

For some people the qualitative impression (the "feel") is more important, for others the quantitative stats (braking distance measurements) will be more important. Each to their own.
Old 03-19-07 | 08:04 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

I know the TSB doesn't apply to the 250 but my wheels are pretty much dark dark gray. They're darker than gunmetal colored rims. I want to bring this up the next time I go to the service department, which is pretty soon, but I don't know what I should say. Would it be futile to even try since the TSB is strictly for 350's only? Or should I just complain like no other?
Old 03-20-07 | 06:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NGG
Well said. Hope this puts this issue to bed once and for all.
It doesn't. It would take braking distance measurements, done both before and after the pad change, to do that.
Old 03-20-07 | 08:32 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
What is it with people on this forum misspelling the word brake?
Ah them's the breaks...

If the replacement pads don't stop you as well as the original ones it could turn out very expensive when in an emergency, instead of pulling up 2 feet short of the car in front, you stop 2 feet inside the trunk of the car in front.
Old 03-20-07 | 08:53 AM
Lexus Test Driver

I just hope they truly are comparable to the originals, or we're "dumbing down" a great brake system that we paid more for.
Old 03-20-07 | 09:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Brake pads will not change your stopping distance on a single stop. EVER. If you can engage ABS, there is NO MORE TRACTION AVAILABLE and therefore, no amount of any additional braking component will allow you to stop in a shorter distance. If the friction available on the brake exceeds the friction available on the driving surface, then no amount of "superior" brake componentry will shorten your stopping distance. The feel may change, but you don't stop by feel with ABS.

There is NO WAY the replacement pads will give a longer stopping distance unless you are fade testing the pads. Even then, the are both rated the same (FF) so their performance even under fade will be at the very least similar.

As I posted in another thread, the replacement pads deliver the same braking performance under street use as the original pads do. The feel is nearly identical. There is no "loss" of anything from a driver's perspective, and I have tested them both intentionally and unintentionally from speeds up to 90 mph. They work just fine. And the dust is nearly invisible.

I posted pics of the wheels after 1600 miles of use including around town and freeway driving (Sac - Bay Area - San Diego - Bay - Sac) with lots of fun slow and go in the LA Basin. I washed the car today, but the pics are dirty car pics. Avert your eyes if you are offended by a dirty IS350.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-20-07 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Pics are posted now in Brake TSIB Thread
Old 03-20-07 | 10:02 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Brake pads will not change your stopping distance on a single stop. EVER. If you can engage ABS, there is NO MORE TRACTION AVAILABLE and therefore, no amount of any additional braking component will allow you to stop in a shorter distance. If the friction available on the brake exceeds the friction available on the driving surface, then no amount of "superior" brake componentry will shorten your stopping distance. The feel may change, but you don't stop by feel with ABS.

There is NO WAY the replacement pads will give a longer stopping distance unless you are fade testing the pads. Even then, the are both rated the same (FF) so their performance even under fade will be at the very least similar.

As I posted in another thread, the replacement pads deliver the same braking performance under street use as the original pads do. The feel is nearly identical. There is no "loss" of anything from a driver's perspective, and I have tested them both intentionally and unintentionally from speeds up to 90 mph. They work just fine. And the dust is nearly invisible.

I will post pics of the wheels after 1600 miles of use including around town and freeway driving (Sac - Bay Area - San Diego - Bay - Sac) with lots of fun slow and go in the LA Basin. I washed the car today, but the pics are dirty car pics. Avert your eyes if you are offended by a dirty IS350.
Excellent analysis. Hope this truly closes this issue once and for all.