IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I finally got my springs, but why am I hesitant to lower my car? someone reassure me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 10:31 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally got my springs, but why am I hesitant to lower my car? someone reassure me.

I don't know why, but come the first week of April I am getting my TSW Nogaro's wrapped in Nitto 555's thrown on my car. I know because I am going to be running 19's that my car will look VERY good dropped with my Tanabe NF210's. but why am I hesitant to wait until I see how my car looks without the drop. I dont know why but messing with the suspension kinda scares me, even though I know it won't hurt my car. A lot of ya'll have done it, so i'm not worried. I don't know what I am.
Old 03-16-07, 10:40 PM
krookid
Driver

I was like that the first time I ever had a nice car, I even went as far as putting the rims on and convincing myself it didn't look like a 4x4. I drove around for about 2 weeks just lovin it not thinking a slam would help at all, I mean it was looking sexy in my eyes. Then I went to a little car show and when I was on my local forum and was checking out the pics, I was all **** this I am slammin it. Trust me it looks better wont really hurt anything other than your oem struts may go bad a little earlier but not for a long while anyways. Last spring I was like this once again when it came time to slam my IS350, I even ended up taking it to my dealership to make sure it was "done right" (really just a waste of extra cash for the security feeling I guess) but when it was done I couldn't even believe I was worried. Serious it isn't like you are about to get some huge tattoo all over your body, put em in and if you don't like them take them out.

P.S. You will like them, chicks will like them, people will drool over your intenseley tight whip, clouds will go away ,the sky will seem bluer, and your ***** may actually become larger, so just do it.

Enough convincing??? LOL
Old 03-16-07, 11:38 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one reason I'm worried is because, like you said, the shocks will go out, though none of us know how soon they'll go out on new springs until much later.
Old 03-16-07, 11:44 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

cspec did it, you should do it too
Old 03-17-07, 07:24 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

If youre not slamming your car on coilovers, than there wouldnt be a need to worry about the shocks being blown. You have springs so it would take a while before it goes bad.

CSPEC - What are you lowered on anyways? I been wanting to ask you.
Old 03-17-07, 07:25 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

hahahah yeaaa im good now
Old 03-17-07, 07:26 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

this is my first nice car....i had a gmc 3/4 ton hd truck before this that I turned into a freakin monster haha.....so now i freak out over ever little scratch on my IS. its just wierd becaus my truck could hit **** and it wouldnt matter. o well... thanks a lot
Old 03-17-07, 09:07 AM
neova
Pole Position

I have the same feeling. After turning my last IS300 into a rice rocket with coilovers, I vowed not to mess with my new IS again.

There is always a compromise when you modify something in your car, whether it be suspension or wheels or power mods. You have to keep in mind that Lexus engineers spent hours perfecting the suspension between longetivity, reliabiliy, comfort, performance, looks, etc. The final result is what make Lexus a Lexus - the tunning of the suspension reflects the Lexus philosophy where comfort is first, then performance.

Once you mess with it, you'll change that. Most folks here with just a moderate drop on springs will tell you that the ride is comparable, and it's true. For the most part you can't tell the difference, and as to wearing out your shocks sooner it will depend on your driving habit as well. The OEM shocks is designed with work with OEM springs, and should last at least the warranty period of your vehicle. With aftermarket springs there will be a high chance your shocks won't last that long.

PHotos always make your car appear to sit higher, because the camera is parallel to the car and at that angle it exaggerates the fender gap more. When you look at the car in person, you're looking down on it, and the car appears lower.

I'd say just keep your suspension stock, drive with the new wheels for a while and then decide if it looks right.