IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is250 or acura tL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 12:25 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TL is a great car. My dad had a Type S for years and loved it, very few problems. He did have one transmission replaced (after 4 1/2 years) but it was covered under warranty. Other than that, no problems at all. It's a great car.

I was seriously considering the new TL Type S vs. a 350 but I've been driving a honda for 7 years and I just dont want another front wheel drive car. I'm ready to change things up.
Old 03-17-07, 12:28 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rsx2is350
I dunno my girlfriend has a 05 TL with Nav and I driven loaner IS250's when my 350 is in the shop. I love the AWD 250 but I definetly think it's slower than the TL. Plus the TL comes with Bluetooth and a bunch of other goodies standard. I say go with a used TL Type-S next year.
Oh! you sell out man, u suppost to vote for lexus too... J/K like I said it's up to him to decide...If he wants the look=250, power and other goodies standard=tl.
Old 03-17-07, 12:57 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
I think both cars are great but I do not suggest to buy TL. My reason for that is from my past experiences with Honda V6 cars was that the tranny always have problem. It doesn't matter if it's Legend, Accord, or TL, they have share a very similar tranny and by far everyone I know have the problem. Yes, this is also happening to the new TL that my friend bought and so far they have not fix the problem yet. My girl had the old TL and it has been replaced once. My neightbor's accord had his replaced twice. My ex-coworker had his TL tranny replaced 2 times as well.

Other than that I think these cars are great.
my 99 v6 accord replaced the tranny 3 times, the last time was 2 weeks ago. (current mileage 67K). thank god American Honda pays for it, or else....
Old 03-17-07, 01:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny thing is i told my buddy who owns the Acura dealer out here that Acura needs to put on the window sticker "SPARE TRANNY IN THE TRUNK" and get ride of the spare tire lol...

Get the TSX instead if you want a Honda/Acura. different car and tranny and also built over seas = fewer problems.
Old 03-17-07, 01:18 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Funny thing is i told my buddy who owns the Acura dealer out here that Acura needs to put on the window sticker "SPARE TRANNY IN THE TRUNK" and get ride of the spare tire lol...

Get the TSX instead if you want a Honda/Acura. different car and tranny and also built over seas = fewer problems.
amazingly enough, some of the 07 accords ARE actully built in JAPAN!
Old 03-17-07, 02:00 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The deciding factor for me was:

Lexus IS - Made in Japan
Acura TL - Made in Ohio

You pick which one you want.

I know when I was browsing the TL forum 1.5 years ago the forum was filled with so many problems/lemons from people . That scared me off from buying the car.

This forum barely has any people complaning about issues with the new IS thats why I picked it.
Old 03-17-07, 02:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
amazingly enough, some of the 07 accords ARE actully built in JAPAN!
i can tell you that the TSX doesnt have the issues that the TL has. from what others are saying the Accord and TL share the same tranny...i actually worked at Acura a long time ago and the TL was always the problem car for them. i was at the Ride and Drive for Acura in IL about 3 years ago when they launced the new RL and they appologized to everyone for the problems with the trans in the TL models and said that they where working on the problem well every TL i owned had the same problem (they all sucked!!!! ) never owned a Accord but i can tell you the quality of the TSX being made in Japan is much better then the TL (made in USA) my wife owns a TSX and it has never gone in the shop for any of the problems i had with my many TL's i had in the past. every Tech in the Acura dealer swares by the MDX and the TSX (and the RSX but they no longer make the car for the states)
Old 03-17-07, 02:08 PM
magic626
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the inputs guys.. I'm pretty much leaning towards the is250 right now. I heard lexus engines can last for 300,000 miles with proper care..

Now 1 last question.. I can pretty much get an IS250 with the navigation or the IS350 without navigation for around the same price. Is the navigation on lexus's that desired? I heard its one of the best out there.
Old 03-17-07, 02:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
The deciding factor for me was:

Lexus IS - Made in Japan
Acura TL - Made in Ohio

You pick which one you want.

I know when I was browsing the TL forum 1.5 years ago the forum was filled with so many problems/lemons from people . That scared me off from buying the car.

This forum barely has any people complaning about issues with the new IS thats why I picked it.
couldnt agree more!
Old 03-17-07, 02:50 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really, get the IS350...

If not, get the TL...
Old 03-17-07, 03:16 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

The Acura TL Type-S > IS250! If it were down to power.
Old 03-17-07, 04:17 PM
Xelvic
Driver

I came from a 2005 Acura TL/nav. It was a great car!!! If I had to choose from a IS250 or a TL, hands down I would go for the TL.
Old 03-17-07, 04:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ihkskim
TL is being exported to Japan~ hahahaha
yea it was designed for the american market in mind, then japan consumers saw it and were like wtf i want it (for once)
Old 03-17-07, 05:48 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your last question I would answer it by saying that if power is really important to you then get the IS350 over the IS250 with nav.

I will also say that I was an Acura owner for my last two cars, both TL's. I finally got tired of dealing with the dealership and their awful attitude. The cars are good, they are reliable. However, they are not nearly the same quality as the Lexus. Coming from the 2004 Acura TL to the 2007 Lexus IS 350 there is no comparison between the two, the Lexus is that much better in quality build. The Acura had some many problems with interior noises that in the end were never fixed. It ended up being an exercise in frustration. The dealership treated me with distain. They hated when I booked an appointment to get the noises fixed. When I finally sold the car a majority of the noises that the car had were still there. Most of them developed within the first two months of ownership. After the service and care that the Lexus dealership has shown me, I would find it very hard to go back to Acura. I think Lexus has a new long term customer here. Acura has lost a customer.

Bottom line, buy the Lexus. It is also a much better handling car besides the quality differences. It is much more fun to drive.
Old 03-17-07, 05:53 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

in the 1st and 2nd gen CL's, 2nd gen tl's 00-03, and the acords from i believe 99-03 had very similar tranny designs. there was a design flaw in them, and it most dominant in the 2nd gen Tl and CL's, and currently acura has waranteed those trannies to 100k miles. they found the issue and for the 3rd gen TL it has been fixed with a new redesigned tranny. other then that acura has pretty much been flawless in terms of reliability.

i love the TL and driven it, both the regualr and type-S, i'm thinking of grabbing the Is250 AWD because the very low price i can get it at and the fact of that i kind of need the AWD. i drive 100 miles plus in the northeast each day, so AWD is must during the winter months. i say go with the IS if you want luxury and the lexus brand if not go for the TL. i like both cars but for power, the TL is where it is at compared to a 250. i just wish the 250 had more power, like an extra 40-50 horses and another 50 ft/lbs of torque.

Quick Reply: is250 or acura tL?