IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is250 or acura tL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 06:20 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had this same senerio rite before i bought my is250 awd. i went with the Is because its a lexus! I traded in my Gs400. The power of the Is250 is rather lacking but its cool as all hell. GET THE IS250
Old 03-17-07, 06:41 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
in the 1st and 2nd gen CL's, 2nd gen tl's 00-03, and the acords from i believe 99-03 had very similar tranny designs. there was a design flaw in them, and it most dominant in the 2nd gen Tl and CL's, and currently acura has waranteed those trannies to 100k miles. they found the issue and for the 3rd gen TL it has been fixed with a new redesigned tranny. other then that acura has pretty much been flawless in terms of reliability.

i love the TL and driven it, both the regualr and type-S, i'm thinking of grabbing the Is250 AWD because the very low price i can get it at and the fact of that i kind of need the AWD. i drive 100 miles plus in the northeast each day, so AWD is must during the winter months. i say go with the IS if you want luxury and the lexus brand if not go for the TL. i like both cars but for power, the TL is where it is at compared to a 250. i just wish the 250 had more power, like an extra 40-50 horses and another 50 ft/lbs of torque.
You must be refering to the 6th Gen Accords (98-02) V6 Models Versus the 99-03 TL both with J series motors J30(Accord) and J32(TL). Because with the 03 Accord V6, all that was changed, and the transmission problems were fixed. I would be comparing this to the IS350 and the TL. There is no power comparision with the IS250 and the TL. Like stated, both are great cars, and basically is comes down to AWD, RWD, or FWD.
Old 03-17-07, 06:50 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i drive a 250 and when im by myself its plenty of power for me....yes it is slow compared to other cars...isnt everything slower then something else....(unless u have a veyron that is...lol...) and also i think the TL is at the end of a generation cycle and it my be redsigned soon....u may want to consider that...however i may be wrong about the cycle...just what ive heard..and since the second gen IS just came out in 06 it will be at 6-7 years before it gets a major redesign...again i may be wrong...

Originally Posted by magic626
thanks for all the inputs guys.. I'm pretty much leaning towards the is250 right now. I heard lexus engines can last for 300,000 miles with proper care..
i also have an 93 gs 300 and it has about 260000 miles on it and only the only major repair we had as an altenator.....which cause the need of a new battery...

Last edited by nehal51086; 03-17-07 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-18-07, 04:15 AM
punky34
Driver School Candidate

I drove the late TL and the IS 250... I chose the IS250...more fun to drive..feels lighter...the front wheel drive TL felt like a fat heavy elephant plus madd crazy over steer... Besides...quality on the TL is very bad. at 50,200 miles when I took it in for a transmission change for the 3rd time the engine mounts were all worn out the mechanics said. So supervisor would not replace it under warranty because it was over the 50,000 mile mark. I told him hey..i'm sure the mounts didn't deteriorate from 50,000 to 50,200 miles..the mechanic even told me that the mounts look liked it was deteriorating around 40k miles...the way they looked...logic - then is should of been covered by warranty but still Acura didnt budge. Cheap components and no staff to support their product made it easy for me to buy the IS250. Much more crisper ride - true sports sadan is rear wheel drive. I haven't seen too many front wheel drive formula one cars nor nascars..have you?

I also just gave away a 1992 Camry yesterday 220k miles. only thing that went bad was the tires and shocks.
Old 03-18-07, 08:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iobidder
You must be refering to the 6th Gen Accords (98-02) V6 Models Versus the 99-03 TL both with J series motors J30(Accord) and J32(TL). Because with the 03 Accord V6, all that was changed, and the transmission problems were fixed. I would be comparing this to the IS350 and the TL. There is no power comparision with the IS250 and the TL. Like stated, both are great cars, and basically is comes down to AWD, RWD, or FWD.
problem is they never did fix the problem. they admmited to this at the ride and drive in IL for the release of the RL...they didnt change anything. and all they did when most of the cars went in to get the service was put an oil cooling kit on gear # 2 which proved to not solve the problem. i heard from my first TL in 99 to my next as the TLS, then the 05 TL that they had fixed the problem. Acura gave me credits to trade in my car for these new models that proved they didnt fix the problem. the RL on release was having major electrical problems. i have a friend that owns an Acura store so i get to find out about all this stuff....thank GOD they own the Lexus dealer also! that is why i made the switch. Get the Lexus if its not enough power i would go look at other cars then the TL.
Old 03-18-07, 10:05 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

If I had the chose between the TL and an IS250 I would buy the TL.
Old 03-18-07, 10:39 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

I test drove both and choose the 250. I have an Accord EXV6 and the TL felt and looked way to similar. I do think the TL is a better buy for the money, but I liked the look and feel of the 250 better. 205HP isn't shabby and does me fine for the type of driving I do.
Old 03-18-07, 10:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whatever you do DO NOT EVER BUY AN ACURA. I had an 05 Tl and it was a huge mistake. Tons of build defects and Acura's rude do nothing response where their cliche phrase is "its normal" is used to try to get out of repairing anything. I took legal action against them and it was funny listening to all their lies. Thankfully, their lies are so obvious that any decision maker laughs at them and sees straight through them and will grant you relief. Moral of the story, nice looking car but flawed and supported by a warranty only on paper not one that they actually back-up. Buy the IS.
Old 03-20-07, 01:39 PM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

I just helped my g/f pick out and purchase her IS250 and the car she really wanted (when we began the exercise) was the TL. We drove a few TL's, both new and CPO and they were okay. But IMO the IS is an entirely different type of vehicle. While it's a little smaller than the TL it more than makes up for it with superior ride and handling, build quality, interior materials and exterior finishes and of course the outstanding Lexus service. Also, the IS is a step up from the TL as far as the feeling of quality in the car when you drive them, especially back-to-back and the ride and handling is really worlds apart. I especially didn't like the TL b/c of the torque steer which almost eliminates the advantage of having the extra hp. What good is the extra hp if you can't use it? or if you can only use it when the front wheels are pointed straight and its dry out?! The torque steer on that TL is almost dangerous and that was one of the biggest turn-offs for me. That and the fact that you see TL's everywhere. Oh, and I almost forgot, the arrogant take it or leave it attitude from the Acura dealer didnt help their cause. When he called to follow-up I gladly told him exactly what we had purchased instead of the TL.
Old 03-20-07, 02:19 PM
TMQ
Rookie

You should definitely look into the new 2nd gen Infiniti G35 also.
Old 03-20-07, 03:55 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iobidder
you are right, i'm a little off on my facts earlier, i was kind of beet. seems to me your prob on the forums at acurazine as well.
Old 03-21-07, 09:38 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Whatever you do DO NOT EVER BUY AN ACURA. I had an 05 Tl and it was a huge mistake. Tons of build defects and Acura's rude do nothing response where their cliche phrase is "its normal" is used to try to get out of repairing anything. I took legal action against them and it was funny listening to all their lies. Thankfully, their lies are so obvious that any decision maker laughs at them and sees straight through them and will grant you relief. Moral of the story, nice looking car but flawed and supported by a warranty only on paper not one that they actually back-up. Buy the IS.
That would be all based on your personal exprience with American Honda. All the tranny issues even with the 6th gen 4 cyl Accords no matter the mileage were fixed courtesy of Honda at no charge whatsoever. Every maker has flaws, and it also depends on what dealer you go to. I think Honda has the best customer service bar none! I own 3 Honda's and love them, so parting for the Lexus is hard, real hard.

Originally Posted by TMQ
You should definitely look into the new 2nd gen Infiniti G35 also.
Why? They depreciate like Chevy's.

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
you are right, i'm a little off on my facts earlier, i was kind of beet. seems to me your prob on the forums at acurazine as well.
No problem man, I am a member there, just not a fan of that site.
Everything Honda or Acura World for me
Old 03-21-07, 09:53 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magic626
thanks for all the inputs guys.. I'm pretty much leaning towards the is250 right now. I heard lexus engines can last for 300,000 miles with proper care..

Now 1 last question.. I can pretty much get an IS250 with the navigation or the IS350 without navigation for around the same price. Is the navigation on lexus's that desired? I heard its one of the best out there.
300k miles???? wow

i was thinking like maybe 200k
Old 03-21-07, 11:48 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the TL better. more power and better features.
Old 03-22-07, 12:14 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

I would chose the IS350 > IS250Nav > TL. But that is personal preference. Power > Gadgets > bored of TL. You have to choose what's most important to you.

If you need to make a lot of u-turns or have difficulty parking, then be careful of the TL's turning radius, it's horrible, unlike that of the IS.

I was a Honda/Acura fan for a long time, but after being in my IS350 for 5 months, I don't think I will ever go back!

Good Luck!