Dealer Screwed Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 09:47 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
A factor?

1) SO it does carry weight on your decision?

2) SO, if you have 2 of the exact same cars, one has been in an accident and the other has never been in an accident(same options, similar condition)... you would "Probably" take the one that hasnt been in an accident, if they were the same price?

3) What would convince you to buy the one car, that has been in an accident... vs the one that has not been in a wreck, has the same options, and is in similar condition?
Honestly if it was just cosmetic and nothing structurally wrong with the car I'd take the one with better options and packages. Or the color I wanted.

Are you saying because I damaged the grill on the front of my car I should report that as an issue too? You can't get that nit-picky after all it is just a car. The dealership fixed the problem. The suspension isn't busted, the frame isn't bent.. its fixed and probably looks just as good as new. Truth be told majority of people, if it looks clean and is the color they are looking for would probably still buy the car THEY wanted. Do you think someone is going to openly publicize that? Do you think they attached that damage to the VIN? Its wrong but in essence no one would ever know.
Old 03-20-07, 09:55 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Putting aside the fact they should have eaten the $118, you aren't legally entitled to "time/stress that you rendered." It is damage to property due to negligence. You get the cost of repair and arguably any diminshed value which you would have a hard time showing if it was minor damage.

I am an attorney and deal mainly with commercial litigation and have to tell pretty much every client that you don't get paid for your time and inconvenience. Only expert witnesses and lawyers get paid for that. :-)

I think you have to chalk up the "inconvenience and stress" to the risk each one of us takes everyday by driving cars on public roads.
Old 03-20-07, 11:30 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Honestly if it was just cosmetic and nothing structurally wrong with the car I'd take the one with better options and packages. Or the color I wanted.
You are completely skirting the issues. And your comparisons are completly invalid.

1) I said, if you are looking at two cars that are the exactly the same(Same options, same price, same condition... etc), except one was in an accident and one was not... which would you buy? And I specifically stated that they had the same options were in the same condition... etc, because I knew you would try to get around that.

Why not just be honest. 2 cars, exactly the same. (Same condition, same color, same options) One has been in an accident, and one hasnt... which would you buy if they were the same price. If you say you would buy the one that has a wreck on its record, you are lying to me and yourself.

Are you saying because I damaged the grill on the front of my car I should report that as an issue too?
...because replacing an unpainted grill on the front of the car is the same as the OPs problem, where they replaced the front bumper, the reinforcement, the front fender and painted the front bumper, the hood, the fender, the door, and probably the other fender.

Thats 4 panels of paint and the front bumper. Your comparison is completely invalid and borders on ridiculous.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 03-20-07 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-20-07, 12:21 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

A factor?

1) SO it does carry weight on your decision?

2) SO, if you have 2 of the exact same cars, one has been in an accident and the other has never been in an accident(same options, similar condition)... you would "Probably" take the one that hasnt been in an accident, if they were the same price?

3) What would convince you to buy the one car, that has been in an accident... vs the one that has not been in a wreck, has the same options, and is in similar condition?
1) yes it does carry some weight in my decision but honestly if the repair is noticeable then I wouldn't even look at it because it wasn't a quality repair to begin with and the previous owner didn't care enough about it to do anything about it so what else didn't he care about.

2) That's a loaded question that can only get you the response that you are looking for to prove a point, in the REAL world this situation would never happen.

3) Gut feeling.

Last edited by l1tech; 03-20-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 01:04 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by l1tech
That's a loaded question that can only get you the response that you are looking for to prove a point, in the REAL world this situation would never happen.
Why wouldnt it happen? There are a lot of cars that are the same color and have the same options.

Toyota Sells 400000 Camrys per year, 70000 ES's, 40000, ISs . I bet its not hard to find very very similar cars for sale.

Look at the OPs car. IS350 with 18s Lux/NAV.... thats the most common config on the east coast, probably 75% of IS350s are built that with those options. Would it be hard to find one just like the OPs? Probably not that hard.

The point is, he cant be honest, and expect to sell his car for the same price as he could have before it was in an accident. There WILL be less potential buyers and many will be leery. Car max WILL deduct 2k or more on a trade in. HE HAS BEEN HURT FISCALLY, by the dealerships wrecklessness.

At the minimum he should be entitled to his diminished value.
Old 03-20-07, 01:06 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

You are completely skirting the issues. And your comparisons are completly invalid.

1) I said, if you are looking at two cars that are the exactly the same(Same options, same price, same condition... etc), except one was in an accident and one was not... which would you buy? And I specifically stated that they had the same options were in the same condition... etc, because I knew you would try to get around that.

Why not just be honest. 2 cars, exactly the same. (Same condition, same color, same options) One has been in an accident, and one hasnt... which would you buy if they were the same price. If you say you would buy the one that has a wreck on its record, you are lying to me and yourself.

...because replacing an unpainted grill on the front of the car is the same as the OPs problem, where they replaced the front bumper, the reinforcement, the front fender and painted the front bumper, the hood, the fender, the door, and probably the other fender.

Thats 4 panels of paint and the front bumper. Your comparison is completely invalid and borders on ridiculous.
Now you are speculating what they had to replace. Actually this is a moot point, not going to aruge.

IF the cars were two different colors then I certainly would buy the color of my choice reguardless of the wreck. That is just me. I wouldn't expect to pay the same amount... No, but if it was just cosmetic and not structural IE everything is in place and perfect then again.. No Biggy. But then I'll always buy new so unless the dealership is lying to me I won't have this issue.

Thanks for your input though!
Old 03-20-07, 01:15 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Now you are speculating what they had to replace. Actually this is a moot point, not going to aruge.
Here is what had to be replaced, per the OP
As seen on the parts list invoice. Front bumper cover, Front left spoiler, Left headlight assembly, Retainer front bumper, fender sub assembly, inner fender unit assembly, misc clips and pins.
I KNOW, that they HAVE to blend the paint, unless the parts come prepainted... which they do not.

So, they have to replace the bumper and fender. They have to blend into the hood, where the new fender is. They have to also blend into the door. Thats 3 panels and the bumper(4 total).

Depending on the match, they may have to also blend into the other fender. Thats 4 panels and the bumper(5 total). So the only speculation on my part is, whether 4 or 5 panels were painted. It doesnt matter, since carmax will still consider that "Many panels"
Old 03-20-07, 07:12 PM
ngogsr
Driver

you should not be liable for anything.
they have insurance to cover their damages
Old 03-20-07, 07:30 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
+1, If I were the service manager, I would be embarased to ask for $118 after all that. They should have gave you the keys and begged for forgivness.
Disagree: The charge was because he forgot to write down the number so the tech could fix the tire problem. He forgot and they had to take off and re-mount the tire. Shut up.......pay the bill and move on.

As to the repair......s..t happens but they made it right.
Old 03-20-07, 07:48 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Disagree: The charge was because he forgot to write down the number so the tech could fix the tire problem. He forgot and they had to take off and re-mount the tire. Shut up.......pay the bill and move on.

Exactly that was the point I was trying to make, like I told you nobody is perfect,it was your MISTAKE not to write down the tps numbers, the tech made a mistake too in hitting your car, so at the end the dealer paid for its mistake and you paid for yours also.
Old 03-20-07, 10:10 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gtidan

No they didnt. They can never repair a car to pre accident condition. NEVER.

I know, I sold my last IS350. The fender had to be replaced. How much do you think Carmax took that into consideration? 2K off on my trade in because "Many Panels" were painted. The OPs car had a lot more repair work done to his car than my car had

YOU guys just dont understand. The OP will be out $$$ when he tries to sell his car. He lost at least $2000, when the Lexus Tech Wrecked his car.

WHY IS THAT OKAY WITH YOU GUYS. Put 35K in a savings account at a bank. If they "Lose" $2000 of your dollars, is that okay with you?

Thats exactly what the dealership did. They LOST $2K of HIS money.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 03-20-07 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 10:41 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No they didnt. They can never repair a car to pre accident condition. NEVER.

I know, I sold my last IS350. The fender had to be replaced. How much do you think Carmax took that into consideration? 2K off on my trade in because "Many Panels" were painted. The OPs car had a lot more repair work done to his car than my car had

YOU guys just dont understand. The OP will be out $$$ when he tries to sell his car. He lost at least $2000, when the Lexus Tech Wrecked his car.

WHY IS THAT OKAY WITH YOU GUYS. Put 35K in a savings account at a bank. If they "Lose" $2000 of your dollars, is that okay with you?

Thats exactly what the dealership did. They LOST $2K of HIS money.
what are talking about!!!!! first of all you don't even know if he someday is planning on selling the car or not, also the example that you gave
about the savings account doesn't fit here, you are comparing apples to oranges.you know that the car isn't an investment, buying a new car is the worst anyone can make.
investment anyone can make
Old 03-20-07, 10:48 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

So what if he is not selling his car. He brought a car in worth ABC... and he left with a car thats worth (ABC-$2000)

How is that "Making it right" They LOST $2000 of his money. HOW DO YOU NOT understand that?

HE WAS SCREWED OUT OF $2000 or MORE of his cars value. WHY is that OKAY with you!
Old 03-20-07, 11:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

It would seem a few people here haven't been bit by diminished value at sale time. Any new paint on the car diminishes value. Even if all the body panels still have the VIN on them, when the appraiser sees the difference in paint color (and he/she will, because it is impossible to get an exact match under all lighting), the car will immediately be declared an accident victim. Then EVERYTHING is under suspicion. How bad was the accident? Is there hidden unrepaired damage? How well was the repair work done? Does it still meet factory standards for finish, corrosion resistance, strength, alignment, etc..

Having fixed a few cars for various reasons, I can tell you if you blow the engine, it won't matter if you bought the replacement engine directly from the factory and it has 2 miles on it, the buyer will want a price adjustment. Period. None of the time and care you put into making everything exactly, precisely, and indistiguishably perfect compared to a brand new unit will matter. "Oh, you had to replace the engine?" "Oh, it was in a wreck?"

You can explain why until you are blue in the face. You can show them ASE certifications, factory certifications, and go over the car showing every single nut and bolt is from the factory, and they'll still want you to reduce the price.

The only way out of this is when the car is NOT just like all the rest, and has unique options that are not from the factory AND the buyer is keen on a car with those exact options. Like single turbo Supras, or genuine Veilside bodykits (and even then, they'll think it's a knock off even if you show them the Veilside invoice!)

Yeah, I think the OP got the shaft. So what he forgot to write down the codes? It didn't cause physical harm to the car. The tech did. And anyone skilled in valuing cars knows it just by looking at the car. I'd be flaming pissed off.
Old 03-21-07, 08:37 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
...when the appraiser sees the difference in paint color (and he/she will, because it is impossible to get an exact match under all lighting), the car will immediately be declared an accident victim...
FYI...

widely used market valuation guides, such as the Kelley Blue Book and the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) book, don't have separate valuation tables for vehicles repaired following an accident.

There is no diminished value (perceived or ortherwise) ff repair work is done properly by competent repair facility, and non-structural in nature. It's just a shakedown by the car owner, pure and simple.

Quick Reply: Dealer Screwed Me