IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer Screwed Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 06:58 PM
New York
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer Screwed Me

3 weeks ago I took my IS350 into Burdick Lexus located in Syracuse, NY. The car was due for the free 5000 mile service. In additions to this service I need them to initialize the TPMS. I have black Kazera rims for the lovely upstate winters. During this service they were unable to initialize one of the sensors. I should mention that I screwed up and didn’t write down the TPMS code number before I put the wheels on the car, so they had to break the tires down to get the code. Since they couldn’t get the 4th sensor to initialize they gave me a loaner and asked for me to come back on Monday. Real pain in my *** as I live 1.5 hr away from the dealer. I received a call on Monday stating that the TPMS warning light was off but as the master tech was backing the car off the lift he hit a steel post with the driver side front fender and bumper. They said they would fix it. I let them know my expectation was I wanted the car back in like new condition as there wasn’t a make on the car. They called me later that week letting me know the car was ready. I instructed for them to have it parked in an area of the service center where I can see it in the sun light. I arrived after my 1.5hr drive only to find the car sitting in a dark corner of the service center. I began to inspect the car and immediately noticed the bumper was all orange peel, the fender had scratches and dust in the clear coat, the bumper area below the license plate didn’t fit and you could see the yellow plastic sticking out and the area behind the grill was incrusted in buffing compound. Needless to say I was pissed. I asked for the service manager to call me on Monday to discuss how they would fix it right. Well, they took it all back apart , repainted it and called me to pick it up today. They finally got it right. It looks good. The service manager brought me over to the cashier telling me he was sorry about the problems we had and then proceeded to try and charge me $118 for the TPMS service. I told him he was out of his mind. For god’s sake, he wreck my new car and caused me 2 weeks of inconvenience and tons of travel back in forth to the dealer. He said the best he could do would split the difference with me as he said he had to pay his tech already. I asked him if he took money away from the master tech who crashed the car. He didn’t see the humor in this. My question is, is this how all dealers operate when they clearly cause damage to your car and create HUGE inconvenience for you????

2007 Matador Red IS 350
Factory options: Luxury Package w/ 18" wheels, Nav
Old 03-18-07, 07:22 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my 1000 mile check, they backed my ES300 with a door open and the open door hit a pillar and got bend backwards causing door damage and some frame damage. They fixed it - not quite perfect because the gap the door was never quite the same as the other doors - it was the right rear passenger door (which I never used anyways). They didn't charge me - they gave me a lexus loaner for 2 weeks and in addition gave me a complimentary 5K and 10K service at no charge. I argued that they should give me lifetime service (3 year lease) but that was the best they could do. Either way, I ended my lease early after only 2 years to get my IS350 (I ended up having to pay like 3,000 to get out of my lease because I put no money down).
Old 03-18-07, 07:34 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you go to the hospital and die the doctor and hospital still charge you for 'services rendered'. But in this case the dealer has a lot of crust to still want to charge you $118 for the TPMS service after he crashed your car. It shows lack of any feel for customer service. If no one at the dealer will correct it I'd raise it to Lexus Corporate, at least to tell them that you are displeased with the service. Shame on that dealer.
Old 03-18-07, 07:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If you go to the hospital and die the doctor and hospital still charge you for 'services rendered'. But in this case the dealer has a lot of crust to still want to charge you $118 for the TPMS service after he crashed your car. It shows lack of any feel for customer service. If no one at the dealer will correct it I'd raise it to Lexus Corporate, at least to tell them that you are displeased with the service. Shame on that dealer.
There's nothibg copr will (or should) do. The dealer made good of fixing the damage, eventually. As for the $118, corp has NO control over that. If someone got a free coffee mug after servicing, and another customer doesn't, is corp responsile for that?!? Corp has NO control over these types of issues. If you don't like the finish, start somewhere else.
Old 03-18-07, 07:55 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by New York
3 weeks ago I took my IS350 into Burdick Lexus located in Syracuse, NY. The car was due for the free 5000 mile service. In additions to this service I need them to initialize the TPMS. I have black Kazera rims for the lovely upstate winters. During this service they were unable to initialize one of the sensors. I should mention that I screwed up and didn’t write down the TPMS code number before I put the wheels on the car, so they had to break the tires down to get the code. Since they couldn’t get the 4th sensor to initialize they gave me a loaner and asked for me to come back on Monday. Real pain in my *** as I live 1.5 hr away from the dealer. I received a call on Monday stating that the TPMS warning light was off but as the master tech was backing the car off the lift he hit a steel post with the driver side front fender and bumper. They said they would fix it. I let them know my expectation was I wanted the car back in like new condition as there wasn’t a make on the car. They called me later that week letting me know the car was ready. I instructed for them to have it parked in an area of the service center where I can see it in the sun light. I arrived after my 1.5hr drive only to find the car sitting in a dark corner of the service center. I began to inspect the car and immediately noticed the bumper was all orange peel, the fender had scratches and dust in the clear coat, the bumper area below the license plate didn’t fit and you could see the yellow plastic sticking out and the area behind the grill was incrusted in buffing compound. Needless to say I was pissed. I asked for the service manager to call me on Monday to discuss how they would fix it right. Well, they took it all back apart , repainted it and called me to pick it up today. They finally got it right. It looks good. The service manager brought me over to the cashier telling me he was sorry about the problems we had and then proceeded to try and charge me $118 for the TPMS service. I told him he was out of his mind. For god’s sake, he wreck my new car and caused me 2 weeks of inconvenience and tons of travel back in forth to the dealer. He said the best he could do would split the difference with me as he said he had to pay his tech already. I asked him if he took money away from the master tech who crashed the car. He didn’t see the humor in this. My question is, is this how all dealers operate when they clearly cause damage to your car and create HUGE inconvenience for you????

2007 Matador Red IS 350
Factory options: Luxury Package w/ 18" wheels, Nav

I get your point, but hey no body is perfect!!!!! it wasn't the dealer fault that the tech hit your car. The dealer still has to pay all the repairs to your car and also has to pay the tech. I don't see why at the end why are you upset
if the car was repaired!! also what you said about the tech paying for it, is not funny,would you like somebody to to do the same thing to you if you were
in the tech place?? I don't understand why people like you think you deserve
everything just because somebody made a mistake
Old 03-18-07, 08:19 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow... you guys are harsh... i don't think he should have paid for the tmps labor. i don't care if he got his car fixed for free or not... damage is damage. he paid 40k for a BRAND new car... not a car that has been hit. now he has to live with that in the back of his mind for as long as he has his car. what about when he sells the car? Yeah... i guess he could lie and said it was accident FREE since it didn't go on his insurance... like we already don't have enough people doing that! Go ram your car in a pole... i'll fix it for free... would you still do it? go easy on him especially being that it's his first post!

I would be mad... i don't expect a brand new car or the tech to pay for it but $118 for labor and they representing Lexus can't cover that? Especially when they did a half *** job the first time they "tried" to fix it AND he lives an hour and a half away....you guys are silly. especially during this time of year with the snow living in the northeast.

i don't wanna argue... but if i was put in his situation... i would feel the same way to a certain extent. i'm not a cheap guy that tries to get everything for free either. but seriously...WTH?
Old 03-18-07, 08:28 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Batmobile
wow... you guys are harsh... i don't think he should have paid for the tmps labor. i don't care if he got his car fixed for free or not... damage is damage. he paid 40k for a BRAND new car... not a car that has been hit. now he has to live with that in the back of his mind for as long as he has his car. what about when he sells the car? Yeah... i guess he could lie and said it was accident FREE since it didn't go on his insurance... like we already don't have enough people doing that! Go ram your car in a pole... i'll fix it for free... would you still do it? go easy on him especially being that it's his first post!

I would be mad... i don't expect a brand new car or the tech to pay for it but $118 for labor and they representing Lexus can't cover that? Especially when they did a half *** job the first time they "tried" to fix it AND he lives an hour and a half away....you guys are silly. especially during this time of year with the snow living in the northeast.

i don't wanna argue... but if i was put in his situation... i would feel the same way to a certain extent. i'm not a cheap guy that tries to get everything for free either. but seriously...WTH?
+1, If I were the service manager, I would be embarased to ask for $118 after all that. They should have gave you the keys and begged for forgivness.
Old 03-18-07, 08:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile

Not that I agree with the dealer. But if you've ever bothered to read the fine print on the service contract, it specifically states the dealer is NOT responsible for any damage. You assume responsibility, like giving the keys to a friend. And you're left to settle it through your own insurance company. So actually he is fortunate they did do the repairs, and not make him settle thru insurance.
Old 03-18-07, 08:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
+1, If I were the service manager, I would be embarased to ask for $118 after all that. They should have gave you the keys and begged for forgivness.
That's exactly what I was saying in my post. If he was in for a lot of work I'd expect him to pay for the work performed before the accident. But the amount in question was so small that the dealer could easily have swallowed it, gave the keys to the owner, and sent him on his way with humble apologies. That would have been the correct way to handle this situation. And I would expect that from the dealer I bought my car from.
Old 03-18-07, 08:46 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sue them in small claims for the $118.00, time/stress that you rendered. You can sue up to $7500.00.
Old 03-18-07, 08:59 PM
danis
Rookie

Legal B.S. By law all are responsible for their own negligence. They take the car under balement and damage it, dealers fault and I don't care what the alleged contract says. Try putting a sign on your car saying you are not responsible for whoever you might hit.

Dealer was wrong and cheap to say the least. I would contact corp. and see what they say.
Today 10:28 PM[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-07, 09:03 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"dealer is NOT responsible for any damage" hahahahaha.... I you beleive that then I have some Enron stocks to sell you.
Old 03-19-07, 12:16 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I would sue them in small claims for the $118.00, time/stress that you rendered. You can sue up to $7500.00.
We should be thankful that this people exist, for this kind of people we cant use the nav before pressing the "I agree" button or why we cant put destinations
while we drive or change the mp3 files. this kind of people always think that everything is somebody else fault "so lets suit them"
Old 03-19-07, 12:46 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
I get your point, but hey no body is perfect!!!!! it wasn't the dealer fault that the tech hit your car. The dealer still has to pay all the repairs to your car and also has to pay the tech. I don't see why at the end why are you upset
if the car was repaired!! also what you said about the tech paying for it, is not funny,would you like somebody to to do the same thing to you if you were
in the tech place?? I don't understand why people like you think you deserve
everything just because somebody made a mistake

A mistake?!?!?!?! You have to be kidding me, you make it seem like it just a scratch that will buff right out. Let me see you in his shoes and be O so polite and not be upset over a tech. hitting your car. Im sorry but that has to be the lowest post I have yet to see on this forum.
Old 03-19-07, 12:51 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Not that I agree with the dealer. But if you've ever bothered to read the fine print on the service contract, it specifically states the dealer is NOT responsible for any damage. You assume responsibility, like giving the keys to a friend. And you're left to settle it through your own insurance company. So actually he is fortunate they did do the repairs, and not make him settle thru insurance.
Yea but lets say I get hit in their loaner whos paying for it again? I expect to pick up my car from the dealership in the same or better condition then when I dropped it off. Don't tell me that I'm 100% responsible for handing my keys over to a dealership with TRAINED techs. They have there insurance for a reason just as I have my insurance for a reason. This is pathetic.

Quick Reply: Dealer Screwed Me