IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crap My Air Vents!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 11:43 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that is wrong. You need to pull down those four tabs. If you do not, you will bend them backwards, and technically render them useless.

IMO, I don't know why Toyota put them there, because it is useless in the first place. But it does not mean you can just pull the vents out w/o first doing this step.

Also, it's not "poke the holes" You use a flat head screwdriver to "pull" the tabs down until it clicks.

By looking at THIS picture, you will see the tabs have been bent backwards and is being held inside.

I am very careful when it comes to removing interior components. You can ask anyone I have done Nav Hacks for. Especially ones with the broken tabs due to the dealership not knowing how to remove the vents, or vents that refuse to "click" into place.

Look at this picture for reference

Old 03-20-07, 11:45 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you need to undo those tabs or else the vent is, just, straight, up, not, coming, out. I'm not really sure what "hole poking" istundra is talking about but all three or four times I've done this with pocky all that's required is undoing those tabs by using the flat screwdriver and pulling the whole unit out. Try pushing everything back in and starting with the tabs. Pocky has done this several times on several vehicles and he definitely knows what he is talking about!
Old 03-20-07, 11:55 AM
LIG134
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried doing the Nav hack by myself only to experience the same problem with the vents. Those vent clips will be a road block for those that don't know what they're doing. Fortunately I stopped to prevent any further damage and Pocky saved me!!! Pocky knows what's up. I think I was his 101 Nav hack job. BTW, Pocky thanks again.
Old 03-20-07, 12:55 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

By looking at the pics you posted, the tabs are not pushed down just like Pocky and others have said. It seems like you have pulled it hard enough that the vents actually came out. Your best bet will be trying to ease out the bent tabs so they're not clinging onto your dash. Good luck with it.

Terrance
Old 03-20-07, 01:52 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

sooo.. crap? Like I can see the clips from the top, but I can't push it down, it wont budge... Should I just send it back to the dealer to get it fixed?
Old 03-20-07, 02:07 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by jt4you
sooo.. crap? Like I can see the clips from the top, but I can't push it down, it wont budge... Should I just send it back to the dealer to get it fixed?
If you go to the dealer. They will most likely charge you labor fees to fix it.

You can either forcefully push it back in, or forcefully pull it out.

It's already too late, minus well just forcefully pull it out and break the four clips off.

It really doesn't do anything. So you don't really need it.
Old 03-20-07, 02:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree; I assume the clips are just a precautionary measure, in case you accelerate so hard the vent comes flying backwards or something. I would say push it back in and try it the regular, unclipping way, and if they're broken then just pull them out and break them (since, well, they're already broken anyway.)
Old 03-20-07, 02:32 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I agree; I assume the clips are just a precautionary measure, in case you accelerate so hard the vent comes flying backwards or something. I would say push it back in and try it the regular, unclipping way, and if they're broken then just pull them out and break them (since, well, they're already broken anyway.)
ROFL.

Justin, you and your imagination.
Old 03-20-07, 03:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
No, that is wrong. You need to pull down those four tabs. If you do not, you will bend them backwards, and technically render them useless.

IMO, I don't know why Toyota put them there, because it is useless in the first place. But it does not mean you can just pull the vents out w/o first doing this step.

Also, it's not "poke the holes" You use a flat head screwdriver to "pull" the tabs down until it clicks.

By looking at THIS picture, you will see the tabs have been bent backwards and is being held inside.

I am very careful when it comes to removing interior components. You can ask anyone I have done Nav Hacks for. Especially ones with the broken tabs due to the dealership not knowing how to remove the vents, or vents that refuse to "click" into place.

Look at this picture for reference

wow yes, they are useless... i've removed the vents without doing the first step... and it came out with ease.. maybe i broke something?

all i did was pry from the bottom... worked it from outside to the middle.. and it came out fine.
Old 03-20-07, 03:32 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by istundra
wow yes, they are useless... i've removed the vents without doing the first step... and it came out with ease.. maybe i broke something?

all i did was pry from the bottom... worked it from outside to the middle.. and it came out fine.
Maybe.....just maybe..... I say you go back and check.
Old 03-20-07, 03:38 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pocky
Maybe.....just maybe..... I say you go back and check.

LOL. nah. i tihnk i got lucky... nothing broke at all.
Old 03-20-07, 03:45 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

I did it the way IStundra did it, but.. I seriously cant pull it out! IStunda, what did you do exactly?
Old 03-20-07, 04:04 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jt4you
I did it the way IStundra did it, but.. I seriously cant pull it out! IStunda, what did you do exactly?
Well the dash is very rubbery and very forgiving. What i possibly did was push the top of the dash up with 1 hand and wiggle the vent out with the other hand. i got it out pretty fast. less then 5 min... main tool u need is the pry tool.
Old 03-22-07, 02:36 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks for your help everyone, I eventually pushed the vents back in, took a day break, then came back and the whole vent came out. Of course the vent fins were all f'd up, but it didnt take long to fix. The vent open and close wheel wasn't opening the vent all the way, so I opened it up (it's worked by 3 gears) and fixed it a click of a gear. The mod is great!
Old 03-22-07, 05:35 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it working...

As far as those 4 clips... Anyone who has worked on Toyota before knows these clips all too well

They are useless btw, you can break all 4 off and the vents will still be held in place VERY tightly...