IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crap My Air Vents!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07 | 04:18 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

Default Crap My Air Vents!!

Holy crap, I was trying to do the nav hack and those damn vents screwed me over. I got the whole vent unit out but I can't get it out.. or put it back in!!

Can someone tell me how to fix this?
Old 03-19-07 | 04:31 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Make some sense.

You got the whole vent unit out, but you can't get it out...or put it back in?
Old 03-19-07 | 05:00 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Pocky.. problem is this.. in the Nav Hack stickie, it shows them how to remove the Vent Trim.. not the complete vent. This is what causes the problem.

From my knowledge, you do not even have to poke those holes in the vent.

You are suppose to use a pry tool to pry the whole vent from the Nav Screen Trim... wiggle it around and the whole Vent comes out, not the Vent Trim only.

Try removing the WHOLE vent and reassemble the vent back together.

Remember when you remove the WHOLE vent, you must unplug this harness which i believe it is some sort of thermostat.
Old 03-19-07 | 05:11 PM
pocky
mooncake master

I assume that's what the OP meant. But I wanted to bust his chops anyway.

Those plugs you see is actually for the little light indicator on the vents.
Old 03-19-07 | 06:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

the thing about the vents....it sorta strikes panic in you when they don't work right away but don't worry about it, unless they are physically broken, you'll be able to put them back together and get them in correctly....they're only "vents", just be patient and you'll figure it out. or post pics here and we can help, i've done it 3 times and every time if works a little bit differently. in the hack thread there is a pry tool pictured, you really really should get that tool...makes life a whole lot easier. good luck.
Old 03-19-07 | 06:30 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

sorry I meant to say, I got the whole vent unit SOMEWHAT out. Where are the plugs to disconnect the vent unit so I can take the WHOLE thing out? The vents look pretty simple to put back together, my main concern is just getting the WHOLE unit out. It's like halfway out for me. Thanks!
Old 03-19-07 | 06:49 PM
istundra
Pole Position

um... got pics? if you removed the vent trim... you can some how wiggle out the vent.
Old 03-19-07 | 09:07 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

I'll try to post pics ASAP, but basically, I have the trim out and some of the whole vent out too, but for some reason I can't pull the whole thing off. Am I supposed to disconnect the plugs first then pull it out? or pull the whole vent off, then disconnect the plugs?
Old 03-19-07 | 11:47 PM
istundra
Pole Position

after u wiggle the vent out.. u'll see the plug in the bag. i believe that is the thermostats for the cabin.
Old 03-20-07 | 06:24 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Those plugs are not for the thermostat but for the 2 small LEDs lighting the dials.
Old 03-20-07 | 08:52 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

i havent tried this yet! waiting for it to get warmer but i am sure i will be asking everyone for some help...send some of that nice warm weather up to Chicago please so i can start to work on my car!!!
Old 03-20-07 | 09:31 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Like istundra says. Just wiggle it out. There should be nothing keeping it in. Did you pull the four clips down from inside the vents?
Old 03-20-07 | 10:15 AM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

I tried to poke the holes out, but I only got one, but I still managed to pull the whole unit out, I think istundra said you didn't need to poke the holes out to get the whole vent unit out, anyways here are some pics, I don't know if these are going to help at all

Old 03-20-07 | 10:21 AM
pocky
mooncake master

I see your problem. You did not pull those four clips down. Now they are broken and bent backwards. That's why it won't come out, It's "caught".

You need to pull these clips down.
Old 03-20-07 | 11:11 AM
istundra
Pole Position

By looking at this picture, you did poke the holes. You do not need to do this.

All you have to do now is wiggle the whole vent out carefully. if you have a hook tool, it will be very helpful.

Once you removed the whole vent, you will need to reassemble it by clipping the Vent Trim back onto the Vent.

Just for reference, you do not need to poke the 4 holes on top. A simply pry tool will work. You just need to pry the vent away from the Nav Screen. Once you have done so, the whole vent should come out with very little work.

The fastest I have removed the vent was about 5 minutes with a Pry tool. No hole poking needed. Just pry the lower portion of the Vent away from the Nav Screen.

Quick Reply: Crap My Air Vents!!