IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is my auto-leveling feature on my low beams messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 10:34 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my auto-leveling feature on my low beams messed up?

I noticed when I was driving tonight, that my low beams seam to be pointing much higher than normal. When someone would drive past me in the other lane I could clearly see the inside of their entire car, it looked like I was blinding them. I am going to have my car sent in after spring break, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue, or if anyone has any input about it. thanks.
Old 03-20-07, 01:56 AM
kschawaii
Pole Position

im sure if you look underneath your hood you will find something to adjust the height of the low beams.... if not try and look in the owners manual...
Old 03-20-07, 07:51 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

thanks, i'll try that today...
Old 03-20-07, 08:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would take it to the dealer to do this! you need a level place and a good distance to make sure they are set up correctly. i dont think the dealer will charge to do this. should take them about 15 min. stop in for a wash and have them check it out.
Old 03-20-07, 09:24 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

yea i will send it to them, problems is, im at school which is over 4 hours away from the dealership (cleveland, OH) but i am 40 minutes from Pittsburgh, maybe the dealership there will do it. I'll give em a ring...
Old 03-20-07, 09:26 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Turn on your lights, then start the car. Do the calibrate?
Old 03-20-07, 09:41 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

They calibrate fine, but I am still blinding people, it's wierd.

I parked it close to the garage, and where the top of the beam is on the garage door, is much higher than the top of the projector itself. i just got off the phone with Rohrich lexus in Pittsburgh, its goin in on April 2 for the 15K service, they will look at it then.
Old 03-20-07, 09:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
i dont think the dealer will charge to do this. should take them about 15 min. stop in for a wash and have them check it out.
Maybe, depends on how they got so far out of whack. If the headlights were messed up by the shop that did his aftermarket suspension work, why should Lexus or the dealer pay to fix it?
Old 03-20-07, 09:47 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

well they don't calibrate fine i guess, they do go wayy up then wayy down like normal, but they seem to be stopping at a higher point then usual.

question, when someone passes you coming the opposite direction in the other lane, do your low beams light up thier face and the entire interior of thier car, even on SUV's ?
Old 03-20-07, 09:48 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

no one has touched my suspension......nothing has been messed with, read my signature.. springs go on in april
Old 03-20-07, 09:49 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

and besides, i watch the shop here do everything to my car, and even help them out. i would know if they messed with anything
Old 03-20-07, 10:14 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst32
no one has touched my suspension......nothing has been messed with, read my signature.. springs go on in april
Sorry, didn't notice the future date in your mods list. If nobody has touched anything, obviously your warranty should cover it.

Originally Posted by Burst32
and besides, i watch the shop here do everything to my car, and even help them out. i would know if they messed with anything
I recall reading about a linkage for the autoleveling feature that isn't always put back right after front end work. If this had been the cause of the misaligned lights, I'd expect the shop that did the work, rather than the dealer or Lexus, to cover the cost of repair.
Old 03-20-07, 12:51 PM
newis350
Pole Position

i was told by the dealer that i should not attempt to adjust the lights. apparently, the computer can autolevel and autofocus the lighhts. i DO NOT have the OEM HID lights, but the dealer insisted that the halogen lights have the same computer control. better take the car to the dealer, especially since the car is still under warranty.
Old 03-20-07, 01:55 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Sorry, didn't notice the future date in your mods list. If nobody has touched anything, obviously your warranty should cover it.

I recall reading about a linkage for the autoleveling feature that isn't always put back right after front end work. If this had been the cause of the misaligned lights, I'd expect the shop that did the work, rather than the dealer or Lexus, to cover the cost of repair.
I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM. I had to have a tire replaced today because of a GIANT pothole that I hit last week. It put a big bubble in my sidewall, and bent my rim. Well the guy at my shop here said that there is usually a sensor either on the suspension or near the front end, and because of the huge impact of the pothole, probably knocked it out of whack. when my car goes in in 2 weeks I will have it fixed. BTW, my rim is fine for now, only a mild bend, and my new wheels go in the first week of April, I can live for now but wow am I mad.
Old 03-20-07, 01:56 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Thanks though for everyone's input/help on this issue

Quick Reply: Is my auto-leveling feature on my low beams messed up?