IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 02:07 PM
j|michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and Run

So it's a beautiful Saturday afternoon...I had just finished washing and detailing my IS350, and decided to do a little shopping up in *** Hill. Parallel park in front of a Porche, and behind a Mercedes. So an hour later I get back to my car, and my entire rear-left fender is scuffed, like someone sideswiped that whole section. They left no note. Nothing.

At first I thought I was lucky and it was just paint that could be buffed off, but I took it to my bodyshop today and it is definitely dented. Over a grand to repair. Sooooo pissed. And I'm sure the paint will never be factory quality.

Anyways, just had to rant. It seems like our cars have bad luck when it comes to body damage?
Old 03-20-07, 02:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear. not that it makes it any better but will your insurance pick up the cost since it was a hit and run? i hope that your car will be okay...
Old 03-20-07, 02:26 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's terrible news. I agree; it seems like our 2IS does have some sort of magnetic attraction for body damage. It's pretty scary actually.
Old 03-20-07, 02:30 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

I got rear ended in a parking lot last fall. no note or anything. the rear bumper is all scuffed in the top right.... any idea on cost for repair??
Old 03-20-07, 02:33 PM
j|michael
Driver

Well, a lot of it has to do with how many body panels the damage crosses. Since mine was right on the fender, the damage spanned from the edge of the rear door to the side of the bumber. On top of that, the side fender is one solid piece all the way over the doors and to the front windshield. Basically that means that three areas have to be re-clearcoated on mine. If your is just the bumber, and it didn't actually dent, the cost should be pretty low.
Old 03-20-07, 02:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry to hear that ......did get the police report?

maybe the garage has some kind of CCTV recorded? maybe u should check with them and see if they have it ?
Old 03-20-07, 02:36 PM
j|michael
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
sorry to hear. not that it makes it any better but will your insurance pick up the cost since it was a hit and run? i hope that your car will be okay...
I checked on that and apparently there has to be a police report filed in order for the insurance company to consider it a 'hit and run', otherwise it just goes under collision. I'm considering filing a report even though it was two days ago.
Old 03-20-07, 02:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry your car was hit, hope the damage was not extensive.

has anyone given a thought that sometimes people strike other cars in a parking lot and are not aware of the damage or even if they hit someone? you've seen it before, someone backing out and they tap another car and then they drive away. not exactly hit and run. your property, not your fault, of course there's a "crime" being committed...but face it, not everyone is like us. not everyone pays attention or is even aware of every little thing. careless yes, negligent probably not. could have been this person smacked your car and didn't realize it.

i have good insurance and i take responsbility for my accidents but i sure hope someone doesn't try to track me down or call the police on me claiming hit and run if i didn't even know. i'm not 21 years old anymore and i have a lot on my mind, i realize these days it's possible i might miss things (so i'm extra careful now). not directed at the op, but just a thought.

anyway, not sure what good it will do to find the culprit.
Old 03-20-07, 03:09 PM
j|michael
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
sorry your car was hit, hope the damage was not extensive.

has anyone given a thought that sometimes people strike other cars in a parking lot and are not aware of the damage or even if they hit someone? you've seen it before, someone backing out and they tap another car and then they drive away. not exactly hit and run. your property, not your fault, of course there's a "crime" being committed...but face it, not everyone is like us. not everyone pays attention or is even aware of every little thing. careless yes, negligent probably not. could have been this person smacked your car and didn't realize it.

i have good insurance and i take responsbility for my accidents but i sure hope someone doesn't try to track me down or call the police on me claiming hit and run if i didn't even know. i'm not 21 years old anymore and i have a lot on my mind, i realize these days it's possible i might miss things (so i'm extra careful now). not directed at the op, but just a thought.

anyway, not sure what good it will do to find the culprit.
The intention of filing a report is actually not to 'find the culprit'. I had considered the possibility that it was simply careless driving, and not an intentional 'hit and run'. The reason for filing a report is so my insurance company acknowledges that I wasn't at fault, thus not charging me for an accident, which will affect my insurance rates for the next three years. On that note however, I suspect that the majority of incidents like this ARE realized, and simply shrugged off.
Old 03-20-07, 03:13 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc hybrid
1 reason never to parallel park, rich people could care less if they "BLEEP" up their porsches, mercedes, etc, they dont give 2 *****s !!!
sorry mang.
I think its quite the opposite. If you look at the crappy cars on the road driving like a$$ its usually beaters driven by people with out the money to fix their own car let alone someone elses. I'm not saying a person with money wouldn't do it...just making a personal observation.
Old 03-20-07, 03:15 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Burst32...I also got ran into in December when the car was parked having dinner and taking my son to the Santa Claus Parade. Only about a 1" mark, but paint down to black and the plastic bumper cracked about an inch on each side. I was quoted around $400 Canadian to repair and am doing this when the weather gets warmer.