IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Tire Low" warning message?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 02:30 AM
NotoriousB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same tjing happen to me, low tire pressure kept comming on and would not go away, checked my pressure one tire was slightly lowere then the rest (about 3 psi difference) when i filled tires the warning went away. Hasn't come back since
Old 03-24-07, 03:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Okay, so, I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning.

If they find that there's a nail in the tire, is that covered under the warranty of the tire? Basically, should I have to pay for anything tomorrow? I don't want to be bulls hitted when I get there.
If you can get the dealer to fix a nail in the tire under the standard warranty, I will bow down to your greatness. I've never seen anyone do that unless they had a tire warranty too.

I took the wheel off my car and gave it to the local Les Schwab tire center. The fixed the flat with a patch inside the tire, didn't break the pressure sensor, AND wouldn't let me pay a dime for it.
Old 03-24-07, 04:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Okay, so, I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning.

If they find that there's a nail in the tire, is that covered under the warranty of the tire? Basically, should I have to pay for anything tomorrow? I don't want to be bulls hitted when I get there.
I can't believe you are taking the car in to the dealer without checking the tire pressure first. There could be nothing more wrong than that one of your tires is low on air.
Old 03-24-07, 07:32 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I can't believe you are taking the car in to the dealer without checking the tire pressure first. There could be nothing more wrong than that one of your tires is low on air.

Well, two things about that. One, sadly, I don't know how to check my tire pressure. Any advice? I've just never done it before. Two, I'm flying home to Orange County today, and I'll be driving the IS to the airport which is quite a ways away. I'm at work for the first part of the day, so I thought if there is something that the car needs to go in for, I had better schedule an appointment immediately since I won't have time before I have to get on the plane. I'm not saying it's the most worth-while decision, but if there was a nail, or something else, then I'd want to know before I made the drive to the airport.

Can I just check air pressure at any gas station? And if so, how do I know what's considered correct air pressure?
Old 03-24-07, 07:44 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, two things about that. One, sadly, I don't know how to check my tire pressure. Any advice? I've just never done it before. Two, I'm flying home to Orange County today, and I'll be driving the IS to the airport which is quite a ways away. I'm at work for the first part of the day, so I thought if there is something that the car needs to go in for, I had better schedule an appointment immediately since I won't have time before I have to get on the plane. I'm not saying it's the most worth-while decision, but if there was a nail, or something else, then I'd want to know before I made the drive to the airport.

Can I just check air pressure at any gas station? And if so, how do I know what's considered correct air pressure?
Go fill up your gas tank at a gas station but use FULL-SERVICE, and tell them to check your air pressure... I use full-service a few times a year if it's rainy out or something and I need to check my tires air pressure... They will do it for you, free, and also clean your windows, etc...

PS - Are you an old lady? (Since you don't know how to check air pressure in a tire)
Old 03-24-07, 07:53 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Go fill up your gas tank at a gas station but use FULL-SERVICE, and tell them to check your air pressure... I use full-service a few times a year if it's rainy out or something and I need to check my tires air pressure... They will do it for you, free, and also clean your windows, etc...

PS - Are you an old lady? (Since you don't know how to check air pressure in a tire)

Ha... I know how to check the tire pressure, but I don't know the specs for the IS. All you need is a tire pressure guage, right? I don't have one, unfortunately, so I'd need to go somewhere.

I don't know of any gas stations around here that offer "full" service. It must be something specific to only certain areas, because it's the same thing in Orange County, California.

Here's the thing, though. If there is a nail, I'm not going to know just by checking the tire pressure, right? It'll show that it's low, and then I'll fill it up and be on my way, only to find out a day or two later the pressure is low again. So, wouldn't it make more sense to just have it checked out?
Old 03-24-07, 08:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Ha... I know how to check the tire pressure, but I don't know the specs for the IS. All you need is a tire pressure guage, right? I don't have one, unfortunately, so I'd need to go somewhere.

I don't know of any gas stations around here that offer "full" service. It must be something specific to only certain areas, because it's the same thing in Orange County, California.

Here's the thing, though. If there is a nail, I'm not going to know just by checking the tire pressure, right? It'll show that it's low, and then I'll fill it up and be on my way, only to find out a day or two later the pressure is low again. So, wouldn't it make more sense to just have it checked out?
Tire pressure specs for nearly every car made (including the IS) are in the driver's side door jamb... If not, then the passenger side... And finally, the owner's manual will always list it...

As far as the "nail" issue... Well, the odds of you having a nail are unknown... But I'd say it's more likely you just have a low tire, no nail...

Personally, I'd just fill up the low tire, and if it came low again in a few days, then I'd take it in... Why? I don't like to waste my time... Filling up a low tire takes a few minutes, max... Taking your car into the dealership takes hours... And for a low tire it is a waste of time IMHO unless you know you have a leak...

PS - Glad to hear you are not an old lady, hehee...
Old 03-24-07, 08:22 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most parts of california do not have FULL-SERVICE!
Old 03-24-07, 09:05 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. Every time? I'm surprised the Feds didn't mandate this sooner if everyone who blew out a tire on the road died.
Forget about the feds. If Lexus offered TPMS as an option I would get it. But in that it comes with the car anyway and we paid for it, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would disconnect this valuable safety device.
Old 03-24-07, 09:16 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you can get the dealer to fix a nail in the tire under the standard warranty, I will bow down to your greatness. I've never seen anyone do that unless they had a tire warranty too.
Well I had something similar done. When I bought my IS350 (in a different province) it had around 4000km on it. The dealer had to repair a nail in the tire with a melting patch when I pick up the car. I almost didn't sign the contract because of this. But who can resist when the car is right there for the taking. Anyway, just before I put on my winter tires in November I noticed the same tire loosing air. So I waited until this winter and brought the rim and tire that was leaking to my local Lexus dealer. Told them it might be the patch work that was leaking. Well they called me 2 weeks latter to tell me they replaced the whole tire with a new one under warranty!

I tried getting them to change the other front also. But they assured me with only a difference of 11000km on the used one it wont affect ride stability and VDIM.

Last edited by phatboyc; 03-24-07 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-24-07, 09:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phatboyc
I tried getting them to change the other front also. But they assured me with only a difference of 11000km on the used one it wont affect ride stability and VDIM.
They lie... 11000km is over 6000 miles right? That's like 35% of the tire life already, depending on how you drive... I would have demanded a new matching tire on the front...
Old 03-24-07, 10:26 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Well, I'm here at Lexus right now. I'm using one of their free computers.

I figured I'd just take it in just in case it is a nail, or somethign wrong with TPMS, etc. I just don't have time before I get on the plane tonight, and I don't want to come back from Orange County to my car with a flat tire at the airport.

Plus, it's not so bad. I'm sitting here drinking chai lattes served by some hot chick, watching DVD's on a flat panel screen and eating fresh baked cookies and biscotti that the girl baked ten minutes ago, all while posting on Club Lexus via their internet access. Plus, if nothing's wrong, it's all free. I even get my car washed. If I had gone to Discount Tire or something to have them check or fix a nail problem, I'd have a copy of People magazine and the smell of tires. lol
Old 03-24-07, 11:31 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm here at Lexus right now. I'm using one of their free computers.

I figured I'd just take it in just in case it is a nail, or somethign wrong with TPMS, etc. I just don't have time before I get on the plane tonight, and I don't want to come back from Orange County to my car with a flat tire at the airport.

Plus, it's not so bad. I'm sitting here drinking chai lattes served by some hot chick, watching DVD's on a flat panel screen and eating fresh baked cookies and biscotti that the girl baked ten minutes ago, all while posting on Club Lexus via their internet access. Plus, if nothing's wrong, it's all free. I even get my car washed. If I had gone to Discount Tire or something to have them check or fix a nail problem, I'd have a copy of People magazine and the smell of tires. lol
How do you know if the same hot chick baked the cookies??? If she did, that's awesome
Old 03-24-07, 11:51 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

How do you know if the same hot chick baked the cookies??? If she did, that's awesome

Because I saw her take them out of an oven. Last time I was in for my 10k service, she made a batch, too. Sugar cookies last time, chocolate chip this time.

Alright, so, it was in fact a nail in the rear driver's side tire. So, I'm glad I took it in afterall. It cost me $24. They pulled the nail out, patched it, checked all the tire sensors and washed the car. Plus all the drinks and cookies I had, $24 really isn't a lot of money to get it fixed right, and have the piece of mind of knowing that the rest of the tires were inspected, too.
Old 03-24-07, 12:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Because I saw her take them out of an oven. Last time I was in for my 10k service, she made a batch, too. Sugar cookies last time, chocolate chip this time.

Alright, so, it was in fact a nail in the rear driver's side tire. So, I'm glad I took it in afterall. It cost me $24. They pulled the nail out, patched it, checked all the tire sensors and washed the car. Plus all the drinks and cookies I had, $24 really isn't a lot of money to get it fixed right, and have the piece of mind of knowing that the rest of the tires were inspected, too.
Good job man! $24 is cheap for the dealer... Tire shop would have probably charged the same...

I am tempted to visit my Lexus dealer now just to scope for hot chicks baking cookies... There's nothing quite like having a hot chick bake goodies for you and then serve you... Makes you feel like a king

Heck, I hope I run over a nail now so I have an excuse to use my tire warranty

Quick Reply: "Tire Low" warning message?