IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Tire Low" warning message?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 01:36 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Tire Low" warning message?

I started up my car tonight and this message came up on the dash, with the tire pressure icon also lighting up in the bottom right corner of the guage cluster. Does it simply mean that one of the tires is low on air? I just took my car in for its 10,000 mile service a few days ago, and they said they checked the tires, as well as the air pressure, so why would this warning message come up?
Old 03-23-07, 01:43 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

was it a really cold morning?? mine came on one time when it was really cold.. after driving abit to warm up the tires, the message went away.
Old 03-23-07, 01:56 AM
i2IS
Pole Position

i had this weird problem too.. when i travelled to Canada.. i think it might be some electrical problems... its weird but my warning sign went off when i came back to USA.. i'd suggest u go to the dealer and get them to check it for you.. Good luck!
Old 03-23-07, 01:59 AM
i2IS
Pole Position

u should try to "initial tire pressure"
Old 03-23-07, 04:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by FatCatzIS
i had this weird problem too.. when i travelled to Canada.. i think it might be some electrical problems... its weird but my warning sign went off when i came back to USA.. i'd suggest u go to the dealer and get them to check it for you.. Good luck!
It's not weird. Canada is colder. Tire pressure drops about 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in air temperature. One of your tires is probably right near the minimum pressure needed to light the warning, and the colder temps were enough to push you over. When you got back to the U.S., the warmer temps increased the pressure enough to extinguish the light.

Before suspecting all sorts of crazy things, check your cold tire inflation pressure with a good gauge and make sure it matches the specs on the door (35/37).
Old 03-23-07, 04:46 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FatCatzIS
u should try to "initial tire pressure"
Without first getting an accurate tire gauge and setting cold inflation pressures to spec? Absolutely not!
Old 03-23-07, 10:22 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

The message was still there this morning, and it's still there now after driving on the freeway for a while. Should I just take it in? And will I have to pay anything?
Old 03-23-07, 12:55 PM
ckaught78
Rookie

why not just check the air pressure in each tire and if one of them is low fill it with air at your local service station.
Old 03-23-07, 01:10 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the pressure yourself, don't believe the dealer... I bet 100% that one of your tires is a few pounds lower than all the others...
Old 03-23-07, 02:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
I started up my car tonight and this message came up on the dash, with the tire pressure icon also lighting up in the bottom right corner of the guage cluster. Does it simply mean that one of the tires is low on air? I just took my car in for its 10,000 mile service a few days ago, and they said they checked the tires, as well as the air pressure, so why would this warning message come up?
Maybe you ran over a nail and have a slow leak? That happened to me.
Old 03-23-07, 04:26 PM
Phanatik
Driver

Can you get this sensor disabled by the dealer? I want to get some wheels but they aren't compatible with the TPMS so I was thinking just to disable them. I don't really need them.
Old 03-23-07, 05:14 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phanatik
Can you get this sensor disabled by the dealer? I want to get some wheels but they aren't compatible with the TPMS so I was thinking just to disable them. I don't really need them.
This is one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum. The answer is no. People have, however, faked out the system by putting the sensors in a wheelbarrow tire or a pressurized cannister in the trunk. Do a search for more details.
Old 03-23-07, 05:48 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phanatik
You won’t really need them until you’re speeding down a freeway at 75 mph some day and the TPMS light goes on because you’re loosing air due to a nail you just hit. You slow down and check it out before the under-inflated tire overheats and blows and you lose your life when the car careens out of control.
Old 03-23-07, 07:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Wow. Every time? I'm surprised the Feds didn't mandate this sooner if everyone who blew out a tire on the road died.
Old 03-23-07, 10:22 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Okay, so, I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning.

If they find that there's a nail in the tire, is that covered under the warranty of the tire? Basically, should I have to pay for anything tomorrow? I don't want to be bulls hitted when I get there.

Quick Reply: "Tire Low" warning message?