IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

to all canadiens, any problems driving RWD in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 10:28 PM
Memout
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to all canadiens, any problems driving RWD in the snow?

Hey guys, seriously looking into getting a 250, but i'm torn between the AWD and the RWD, just wondering if there are huge differences with driving in the snow.
I've never driven a RWD in the winter so I guess that's where my inexperience comes in.
I'm from Montreal so we get a good 40-50 inches of snow in per year in winter...i'm just worried about fishtailing ....

Ideas? opinons?
thanks
Old 03-23-07, 10:32 PM
krookid
Driver

Yup, lots of problems in the winter. Good winter tires and you will be fine will be a common response, but in all honesty, you won't be fine. You at most will be ok, just good enough to get through, but the deeper stuff will have you white knuckling all the time. I found turning off all the trac/vsc than you can at least get moving, but once again not very good. Look since you are getting the 250 and this isn't a question between the 250/350 get the AWD, put winters, or at min good all-seasons don't look back and never worry about it.
Old 03-23-07, 10:43 PM
Memout
Driver

Thanks Krookid.
Old 03-24-07, 01:37 AM
krookid
Driver

Not a problem at all.
Old 03-24-07, 02:35 AM
NotoriousB
Driver School Candidate

Hey memout i live in ontario and had the same delimma when buying my 250. I got some decent snows for my car and when it snows i just hit my snow button, its not a quick fix or a replacement for proper driving but they sure help a lot.
Old 03-24-07, 05:27 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that if you're not trying to decide between a 250 and a 350, the AWD is the clear choice.

if you've never driven a RWD in the snow...which you say you haven't...don't do it now. Practice on a $2,000 pickup truck, not a $35,000 Lexus!!
Old 03-24-07, 06:04 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

I previously owned and drove a RAV4 and an AWD Highlander with all seasons and I have to say that my 350 on winters is as good as they were and has better braking than both. I will say that Montreal probably gets more snow than TO, but after two winters and some beautiful Spring, Summer and Fall months I would purchase another 350 in a heart beat. I have never gotten stuck in the unplowed roads in the side streets from my home to the main roads and leave for work at 0540!

It has allot to do with the way you drive and what are your expectations!
100%, if you do not want to think twice about going out in the white stuff go AWD on winter tires. But for the price of an IS250 AWD I would seriously look at a Subaru Legacy GT or Spec "B", bang for buck and performance wise.
If you drive sensibly in the winter with performance winter rubber and want a quick car for the better days ahead, then the 350 is the one to get.

Just my 02C.
Old 03-24-07, 07:18 AM
burnabykid
Pole Position

I had the same debate going on before i bought my 250, but i ended up choosing the RWD in the end because i wanted the full sports package and manual transmission, i wanted to be able to boot around and have some fun in this car. I'm on the westcoast so our winters arent as bad as the eastcoast, but this past winter we had our share of snow and ice, after the first snowflake hit the roads theres no question i had to take of the summer tires. Ended up getting the Dunlop M3's and boy did it make a difference. Roads that had cars on all seasons spinning out, i was driving around without a problem. Had no issues driving up our local ski hills either, fully confident in the snow. The only thing is you will have to factor in the cost of winter tires to your purchase, because they are a must.
Old 03-24-07, 01:08 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Exactly! I could not get up my drive way with summer tires, you must use high performance winter rubber!
Old 03-24-07, 01:38 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First. You should use the search button. Second if you get some winter tires you will be fine. Don't even try to drive summer tires in the snow, you'll be sorry you did. AWD or RWD, get winter tires NO MATTER WHAT. Especially up in Canadia where you get a lot of snow.
Old 03-24-07, 08:40 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Put Blizzaks, 225/45 all around and had no problem at all, and the last 3 vehicle I had were all wheel drive. Put my snows on the end of November and am putting the summer rubber back on this week. I live outside Toronto. Bottom line....good snows and she goes!!!!
Old 03-24-07, 10:25 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've never had a problem with RWD cars in the snow. Our old S-classes and 740 were fine even just with all seasons. Our new Magnum RT (340 hp RWD) is fine with snow tires.

You should be fine as long as you don't do anything stupid and you put good snow tires on the car.

And for those that think AWD is the cure all for winter driving, it isn't. It may help you get going, but the stuff that will screw you is ice, and AWD really won't help at that point. Thats why I would never sacrifice performance to get the AWD version of a sedan. Smart driving and good winter rubber will make the most difference.
Old 03-25-07, 03:21 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was used to driving FWD cars in the past, the IS 350 being my first RWD car. I had alot of worries about the winter weather. After living through one winter, I have to say that I'm impressed with how well the IS 350 did. I never once was stuck in the snow even in my unplowed laneway into my garage behind my house. Of course I do have the snows on the car so it made all the difference. The IS 350 with snows does a great job of stopping and that is more than half the battle in the winter. Don't forget AWD doesn't help you stop.
Old 03-26-07, 07:50 AM
neova
Pole Position

I've said this many times in other various posts regarding driving the IS in the snow.

1) Drive wheels help with stability once your car is in motion.
2) Tires help with traction for starting/stopping.
3) Drive wheels is MORE important than tires. (more on this later)

Best Stability/Traction:
1) AWD with Snows
2) AWD with A/S
3) FWD with Snows
4) RWD with Snows
5) FWD with A/S

Avoid:
6) RWD with A/S
7) AWD with Summers
8) FWD with Summers
9) RWD with Summers

From a purely utilitarian perspective, get the AWD and put snow tires on. For light snow you'll be able to get by using just the A/S, but then again why risk an accident in your $40K car? So get snow tires regardless of which model you're going to get.

As I said above, drive wheels helps you maintain stability while your car is in motion, which is a bit more important than just getting the initial traction (starting on snow). I had owned both an AWD (97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Turbo) and RWD (current IS250) cars and the AWD had A/S while my IS250 have snows. I drove the AWD up to cottage country several times on A/S during 5" plus of snow and even went up on a 35 degree country road (slowly) and then back down (very very slow) without any problems. With my current RWD even with Snows I slip every time just starting from a light on a flat surface.

RWD cars handle very differently, not just in the snow but in dry/wet as well. I think you should take some driving lessons behind a RWD car and see for yourself before you make your decision.

My priorities include safety and fun => and had Lexus offered the IS250 AWD with a 6MT i would have bought that in a sec. I can't see myself driving an AT so I sacrificed some safety for fun =)

Last edited by neova; 03-26-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-26-07, 04:38 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neova
I've said this many times in other various posts regarding driving the IS in the snow.

1) Drive wheels help with stability once your car is in motion.
2) Tires help with traction for starting/stopping.
3) Drive wheels is MORE important than tires. (more on this later)

Best Stability/Traction:
1) AWD with Snows
2) AWD with A/S
3) FWD with Snows
4) RWD with Snows
5) FWD with A/S

Avoid:
6) RWD with A/S
7) AWD with Summers
8) FWD with Summers
9) RWD with Summers
Your list for best stability/traction should be like this,

1. AWD with snows
2. FWD or RWD with snows
3. AWD with all seasons
4. FWD with all seasons

taking from an study done by Road and Track Magazine:

"Which is better, one of our awd competitors on all season tires, or its front or rear drive conuterpart on dedicated summer or winter rubber?" Summer is a close call but winter isn't. All wheel drive has its benefits in the snow, but not the 28-30 percent offered by dedicated snow tires. And AWD won't help at all when it comes to stopping in the snow. Of course, the best choice for wintry conditions is all wheel drive and snow tires. - dennis simanaitis Road & Track Magazine March 2006.

Quick Reply: to all canadiens, any problems driving RWD in the snow?