IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

This is why I hate taking my car to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 10:13 AM
PW007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why I hate taking my car to the dealer...

On Friday I took my IS350 to the dealer for its 10K service. I checked the oil level Saturday morning and found that it was just below the lower mark on the dip stick. I drove directly to the dealer and told them about it. It took just over 3/4 of a quart to fill it to the top mark. It's crap like this why I hate taking my car to the dealership. Previously, I had an integra and did all the maintenance myself, but after buying such an expensive car I figured I would just let the dealer do it all. I just wonder how much car troubles are caused by lack to attention by the techs, but is never picked up by the average joe. I am just venting.
Old 03-27-07, 10:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That sucks some stearlerships are very shady.........the avg person would not have even checked that.
Old 03-27-07, 10:23 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expensive car or not, do your own oil changes. It gives you a chance to inspect the underside of the car and the peace of mind that it was done right.
Old 03-27-07, 10:46 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

PW007... at least they managed to put your oil cap back on. At my 15k service, I wasn't so lucky.

I just wonder how much car troubles are caused by lack to attention by the techs, but is never picked up by the average Joe.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-27-07, 11:00 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the last time I went to get my oil c hange done at the dealer, they forgot to put the heat shield/plastic cover back on.
Old 03-27-07, 12:03 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think it's the dealer, but the tech.
Old 03-27-07, 12:08 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
i don't think it's the dealer, but the tech.
The tech was hired by the dealer and some are even trained by the dealer. Also its minor things like putting the cap or heat shield back on that really doesn't need training. Overall dealerships worry the **** out of me but who else can you turn to for "reliable" service that can't be performed by the average person?
Old 03-27-07, 05:41 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

I don't think that it was a Tech that didn't properly fill your oil but it was probably the minimum wage oil change guy that doesn't give a rats *** about your car that did it.
Old 03-27-07, 05:52 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Obviously not a good situation. But it might be worth a 5 minute look-see when you pick the car up. Pop the hood, make sure everything is in it's place, and the fluid levels are right. You shouldn't have to do this, of course. But it would save a trip back to the dealer if you found something awry. In fact, I might do this next time.
Old 03-27-07, 06:17 PM
tw88
Rookie

A few years ago I left my car at a service station to get a state inspection and an oil change. Came back later, paid for it and drove 1/2 mi home. I immediately checked the dipstick and saw that the oil was dirty! They never changed it! Of course I went straight back and all the guy could say was that they "forgot". Yeah right.
Old 03-27-07, 07:27 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Damn..and i'm going in for my 5k service tomorrow..PRAY FOR ME..
Old 03-27-07, 10:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
I don't think that it was a Tech that didn't properly fill your oil but it was probably the minimum wage oil change guy that doesn't give a rats *** about your car that did it.
Is this a known fact? Last I hear at least in my state only the techs can work on a customer's car. At my dealership they don't have specific oil change people. The techs do it. They do have other lot attendants that wash the car, retrieve your car, shuttle you do work and such, but they are not allowed to work on cars.
Old 03-28-07, 06:33 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Is this a known fact? Last I hear at least in my state only the techs can work on a customer's car. At my dealership they don't have specific oil change people. The techs do it. They do have other lot attendants that wash the car, retrieve your car, shuttle you do work and such, but they are not allowed to work on cars.
I'll have to look into this, but as far as the 48 states go anybody can work on anybodys car and I think your state is no exception. It all comes down to $$$ and it only makes sense to have the lowest person on the totem pole doing the meaningless work. Almost all "larger" shops have designated people for this and every dealership that I know of has these people also.
Old 03-28-07, 06:52 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PW007
On Friday I took my IS350 to the dealer for its 10K service. I checked the oil level Saturday morning and found that it was just below the lower mark on the dip stick. I drove directly to the dealer and told them about it. It took just over 3/4 of a quart to fill it to the top mark. It's crap like this why I hate taking my car to the dealership. Previously, I had an integra and did all the maintenance myself, but after buying such an expensive car I figured I would just let the dealer do it all. I just wonder how much car troubles are caused by lack to attention by the techs, but is never picked up by the average joe. I am just venting.
Hey I feel your pain.

I have an Integra too (see sig) and I did ALL my maintenance myself on that thing. It is still puring like new.

Don't let your new IS intimidate you on regular maintenace. Its not much different then the integra you have been working on. I did my frist oil change at 800 miles because they overfilled it from the factory. I say from now on do your own maintenance if you can. All the new IS needs is oil changes, air filter changes, etc. Basic stuff if you ask me. I'm even thinking about skipping the FREE 5k oil change because I dont want the dealer touching my car.
Old 03-28-07, 08:40 AM
ngogsr
Driver

seems as if a lot of ppl here had Integras haha
i have a tubo GSR 460 whp

I also had some idiot ppl work on my IS350 had 3 loaners from them already haha . I think ive driven the loaner more than my own car only 1k miles on it.
Ive put over 2k on the loaner.

I took my car back to get some scratches buffed out and they didnt take care of it the 1st 2x i took it there. So i called teh general manager and complained. He had my car fully detailed and filled it up w/a full tank of gas.
So sometimes you just gotta talk to the big guys. Im just glad they finally took care of the situation.