IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Telephone tracking post for IS250 6MT owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 05:17 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No fix yet but this is the reason for this thread, we are trying to make lexus aware that everyone has this problem and hopefully they can come up with a fix.
Old 03-30-07, 11:27 AM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20,000 miles, changed transmission/clutch/flywheel at 18K. It was grinding and couldn't launch smooth from 1st gear. The new transmission is smooth and silent. Love the car again.

joel in miami
Old 03-30-07, 11:42 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Recluse
So is there even a fix? That is to say, is a new transmission/clutch going to be any better or more durable than what's already in there?

I'm new here, and thinking about an IS250 6MT, which is why I ask.......
not all 6MT has problems. we are tying to find out how many members replaced their transmission and see what they can do to improve the tranny.
Old 03-30-07, 11:44 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
20,000 miles, changed transmission/clutch/flywheel at 18K. It was grinding and couldn't launch smooth from 1st gear. The new transmission is smooth and silent. Love the car again.

joel in miami
Joel,

thanks for the input. how many miles you have now?
Old 03-30-07, 12:16 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 03-31-07, 10:05 AM
06LexIS
Driver

UPDATE: I recieved a call from Lexus customer service yesterday, very nice gal, i must say there customer service is amazing.
I explained my concern with the 6 spd tranny and the issues I've encountered so far.
My car has has been at the dealer all week and they keep telling me that they can't hear any noise from it???
The funny thing is that I took one of there techs for a spin a few months back and he heard the noise, they recommended the swap to synthetic.

After the fluid swap and 15K later, the noise hasn't gone away, still there. Lexus customer service informed me that they will call the dealer and speak to the tech to get his feedback.
My opinion, nothing will get done but at least its documented.
I called the service fella and mentioned to him that I can drive the car while he listens for the marble noise as I take off in first gear and the rough shifting into second.
His response was that himself and the tech will take a test drive now and he will call me back with an update. I feel bad because he's one of the best service guys I've encountered in that dealer and he has gone above and beyond to help me.
I have to pick up the car today, I may try to replicate the noise for him and we shall see what comes out of it, in all honesty, I think Lexus will do nada...
Raf
Old 04-01-07, 11:39 AM
06LexIS
Driver

ok, got my car back. Dealer performed the follwing TSB's;
TSB NV-003-06 found broken dash mounting clips, also this TSB calls for insulating the defrost vent as the main source of the dash rattle and TSB NV-001-06 driver seat sqeak. Both of my Lexus fall in the VIN# category for oil leaks but none were found at this time.
As for the 6spd tranny, they can't find or hear the noises. The freaking service guy pissed me off and told me that because my car has 31K, I was trying to get a new tranny. I told him that I was trying to diagnose an issue that us 6spd IS250's are encountering on this forum, what a prck.
I will mention his comment to the Lexus customer service when they call me this week.
By the way, the 30K fee is $615.00.
Good luck to all of you in trying to diagnose the tranny problem with these idiots at the dealerships.
Old 04-02-07, 06:54 PM
Octify
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I have a 2007 6MT with the 18" staggered stock setup on it and eibach springs, and I have 6500 miles on it. When I got the car brand new I broke it in, keeping it under 4,000 for the first 2,000 miles, at 3,000 I did my first oil change etc at scottsdale lexus. I am suprised with the complaints I am hearing about this transmission. I am coming out of a 2005 Subaru WRX and that was extremely noisey drivetrain compared to the sweet sounding lexus 6MT. I do notice it clicks into gear if you have the windows open, but the clutch is light and like butter and the gearbox is smooth and it is effortless to get into the gate. I exercise the car occasionally with the traction/throttle control systems disabled via the special code and the transmission shifts fast and I can rev match without any problem. I will admit after coming out of the WRX with a heavy clutch, to this extremely light clutch it took a slight bit of adjusting, but after I felt the g-spot on the clutch which happens to be pretty near the top on these cars I have absolutely no problem driving it, and I feel I am working alot less harder compared to the wrx. As far as transaxle noises, all that I hear is very dampened quiet clutch chatter, which is completely normal for a manual tranny, it reminds me alot of the way the Audi S4 transmission and clutch sound and feel. Also, I agree with the service manager that when under hard shifting conditions you may not realize that your not depressing the clutch all the way hence your grinding gear problems. Additionally, from what I've read about this transmission it has tripple-synchroed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears which allow for high rpm down shifting (or rev matching in my case), and I'll tell you it really does make it easy and smooth. The additional components in the trans case however could mean additional noise since theres three times as many synchros; but as I have said they seem quiet and healthy sounding.
Old 05-04-07, 05:59 AM
contourrob
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I had the grinding problem going into 4th gear a few months ago. Mentioned it to my dealer (Lexus of North Hills - Near Pittsburgh, PA) and they replaced the tranny with no compaint at all. Once I got the new one, smooth as silk for a few months. Again, the tranny is grinding going into 4th at higher RPM's. I called service again this morning - he's checking into corporate to see what to do. So, I'm unfortuate enough to get 2 of these "bad" trannys. Perhaps it's most of them???
Old 05-04-07, 10:39 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

I still got the clicking noise, occasionally. still waiting for 5k oil change and have them take a look @it. I got 2300 miles right now....
Old 06-13-07, 08:52 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

I called corporate too. I have a "jar of marbles" sound when accelerating from a stop, once the car is warmed up. I am having all clutch components replaced next week. More details here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=287544

I also have a clicking sound when shifting from 1-2, but it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 09-23-08, 09:41 AM
bznswmn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
Please post if you have called LEXUS corporate Customer service and file a complain about your transmission. Please also state your transmission problem and any resolution to your issue(s).

Also to all owners who had the transmission/clutch replaced, please post here as well (year, milage, nature of problem(s), what part(s) they replaced.

DEMIK just got his tranny replaced, if it's not under warranty, it will cost ~$5K!

I know Honda DID extend the transmission warranty to 7yr/100K miles for the accords due to a lot of owners with their transmission problems. (my 99 v6 accord replaced tranny under warranty, @67K miles).

I think if we voice our concern about our IS tranny, they will definitely do something about it?

We want to make this post as detail as possible so we will have a better idea to see how our transmission and see if we can push them to extend our warranty in the tramission ?

6MT owners, let's put our effort together and hope for the best!

Thanks!

Moderator: please kindly "sticky" this post. thanks!
I just called Corporate in Torrance. I've been complaining about noise in the front of engine for the last year and a half. After going to a different dealer, they pulled the transmission and determined I need a new one and i have "hot spots" on my clutch. They claim it's not a warranty item and that I have to pay $800 approx for that repair.

Corporate will call me back in2 days with feedback. I don't know what they will say. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-23-08, 11:01 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

thanks for the info.....if you are going to pay for the clutch, check with the dealer how much they charge for the F-Sport Clutch? Maybe that will help with the noise ???
Old 05-05-09, 02:36 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i called and complained also.
this issue is going nowhere.
Old 05-05-09, 05:21 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

plenty of problems.. got my tranny replaced too.

Quick Reply: Telephone tracking post for IS250 6MT owners