IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Those with tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 05:08 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with tint

How often do you really get hassled by the cops? I am really thinking about 35% all around here in NJ. MY buddies have had their cars tinted in the past and never had a problem..well once but that is once in 5 years out of 3 of my friends....How sevre are the cops about the tint? I think my glacier frost will look real nice with a tint.
Old 03-27-07, 05:30 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have limo tint on the back doors and rear glass and 15% on the front doors and I don't get bothered at all...then again this is Phoenix and even the cop cars have tint.
Old 03-27-07, 05:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as it's legal it shouldn't make a difference. But if it is 3AM, you are weaving, and not in the best section of town, watch out. I've never been stopped in any car with legal tint.
Old 03-27-07, 07:45 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

usually they will only mess with you if the are carrying a tint meter...otherwise they can not give you a ticket unless they have a meter reading.

some departments dont supply all their officers with this meter cuz its not worth it. they have to be calibrated and maintained which will probably cost more than the tickets they bring it.

in FL its a fix it ticket so you just need to remove the front side window tint and show a cop that its removed...pay like $10. and get it retinted.
Old 03-27-07, 08:00 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

i think in NJ tints are a secondary offense meaning they wont pull you over just because you have tints....however, if you committed another offense (i.e. speeding), they can add the violation for having tints...and in NJ, tints are only illegal on the front windows otherwise it can be any darkness in the back windows and rear windshield...as long as the tints arent too dark the cops dont care a lot
Old 03-27-07, 08:15 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

I live in DE and so im NJ all the time. As long as your not doing anything else illegal..you'll be fine. They wont really bother you if you go with 35 %. If you go with limo tint, then you might have a problem. But, one thing that sucks is that the tint will bring you negative attention, especially if you decide to get aftermarket wheels. You'll be much more prone to get a speeding ticket because they'll pull you over just to pull you over since you attract alot of attention..
Old 03-27-07, 10:41 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

yea, its rare for cops to pull u over just for the tint, if you are getting pulled over, they'll add a few more things to the ticket
Old 03-28-07, 06:00 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by celica2nv
How often do you really get hassled by the cops? I am really thinking about 35% all around here in NJ. MY buddies have had their cars tinted in the past and never had a problem..well once but that is once in 5 years out of 3 of my friends....How sevre are the cops about the tint? I think my glacier frost will look real nice with a tint.
Here in MD, I'm running 35% on my GFM IS. The interior of the car will make the difference (mine's black), but in general they don't hassle me at all in DC, VA or MD (areas I travel daily). Besides other vehicles being a good deal darker, and the contrast to your paint color, it's honestly not dramatic enough to draw attention, unless a cop is really looking to get your for something.
Old 03-29-07, 07:18 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

thanks for the info...im tintin 35% as soon as possible...i just wanted to see how much you actually get hassled about it...i know the fronts are illegal but im doing it...i think it looks horrible when everything is tinted and the fronts are not.
Old 03-29-07, 07:51 PM
06-250
Rookie

I have limo all the way around and 35 on the windsheild and I never get bothered either I just usually avoid the freeway because the only picky ones are HP's, city cops don't seem to mind very much....
Old 03-29-07, 07:58 PM
is250awdnj
Driver

I live in North NJ and the cops can be a**holes about tints but just watch yourself dont get it wayy too dark, oh yeah by the way i love the glacier frost, i have a smokey mica granite =]
Old 03-30-07, 07:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just moved to a new town and just before i picked up my lexus i had a cop cutt off a bunch of cars just to pull me over for no front plate and tinted windows. its okay but the two front doors. i got out of it as i told him i was getting rid of the car the next day so i wouldnt be able to show i did anything to fix the problem. they let me go. but i have waited to do this car and it sucks!!!
Old 03-30-07, 07:51 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

^^ You Are Lucky
Old 03-30-07, 08:31 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 5% all the way around and about 8" down on the windsheild of my tungston pearl IS250 and I have never been pulled over for tint. Thankfully the police in eastern Kentucky are not too bad about tint unless they pull you over for something more serious and just want to tack on an extra fine. I've driven beside of city police, sheriff's deputies, and state police with no problems. I also do drive safely, don't excessively speed, or do anything that would give a police officer any notice to pull me over. I'm also 36 and have only had two speeding tickets in my 20 years of driving. Oh yea, my car is a new Lexus, not something a "typically aggressive" young person would be driving around in this area.

I've wondered what would happen if I drove more often in other states that do crack down on tint.
Old 03-30-07, 08:40 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Here in SoCal I guess 35% front tint is okay. I have a friend (LA Sheriff officer) and he said he could see through my tints so it's okay. KEY here is he said OK but not legal. So it depends on the officer stopping you.

Quick Reply: Those with tint