IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear bra....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 05:46 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngogsr
Does anyone have pics of a full hood bra/fenders/bumper?
Ive seen bra on half of a hood....not sure if i really like that line going across
A quick search and you'll find this thread.
Old 03-28-07, 05:47 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys bring up a good points. I think im going to cancel my appointment and save that money to re-paint my front end down the line. Instead I might by a bra (not clear) for long road trips. Thanks
Old 03-28-07, 06:23 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

I think the point that going without a bra is a good one.

I would not have gotten my bra if I didn't drive so much freeway for my job. If I didn't do so much driving I woud have used that money elsewhere.
Old 03-28-07, 06:36 PM
wushuboy
Driver

Although I'm not fond of the line that runs across the hood, I, for one am glad i got it. The day after I got it, I checked it out and saw all these marks where rocks had hit it. Mind you I keep my distance from cars in front of me so I'm trying to prevent it as best I can and they still hit me. If it werent for the clear bra I'd prolly have a bunch of rock chips all over my bumper. If that kind of thing doesnt worry you and you dont care about the appearance of your car then dont get one. I've talked to many people on this forum and all have recommended that I get it. Even those who had not gotten one suggested I get one and they regretted not getting one themselves because now their bumpers have too many battle scars. It's really up to you. If having that line is such a big deal then dont get it. I had that reservation too until i saw it in person and it's like nothing. Most people wont even notice it. youll only notice it if you really look for it.

Also, you said you were gonna just get a regular bra for road trips. Seems dirt and rubble could potentially get caught between the bra and your paint and if the wind or anything causes that bra to move.. well you'll get scratches for sure. There's also the hassle of putting it on.
Old 03-28-07, 08:38 PM
donm3ga
Rookie

Its just personal preference. I care about the appearance of my car. I care about it enough to NOT put a bra on there. I'd rather some minor nicks here and there than to have a bra on it. Thats just me.
Old 03-28-07, 08:57 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Very good points on both sides. I still have till saturday to decide. I do appreciate everyones input. Ill make sure to let you guys know what my decision is, and if I do decide to put it on I will post some pictures.
Old 03-28-07, 11:16 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Not sure if anybody answered this already, but does the installers warranty the the car if a large enough rock penetrated the bra and messed up the paint underneath?

Also, do these bras still look as good as they do after an extended period (ie : 1 yr or more)? The local shop only gives me three year warranty on it...I don't want it to fade and look all crappy.
Old 03-29-07, 12:38 AM
wushuboy
Driver

Im pretty sure the warranty covers defective film. If a large rock hits you then nothing is gonna stop it. It's designed to protect you against typical rock chips and such not large rocks.
Old 03-31-07, 07:08 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Well, I decided not to get a clear bra. Instead I will put that money away and save a little more so I can repaint my front end in the future.
Old 03-31-07, 09:51 PM
wushuboy
Driver

and hopefully you dont get any rocks hitting your headlights either because im sure those are pretty expensive. I've seen headlights all scuffed up from rocks and stuff and you cant repaint that :P
Old 03-31-07, 10:15 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07IS350
Well, I decided not to get a clear bra. Instead I will put that money away and save a little more so I can repaint my front end in the future.
Yes repaint your front end in the future and then get more rock chips. So in the long run you'll be repainting over and over again. Hmmm....
Old 03-31-07, 10:19 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Wushu, so u decided on a clear bra huh. I thought u said no mods for now when I met u @ Tasty House. Congrats.
Old 03-31-07, 11:30 PM
wushuboy
Driver

Hey frank, haha I already had a clear bra when i met you. I got it the friday before the meet. No major mods for me like rims and such.. just minor ones like replacing LEDs, redouts, nav hack ( gotta ask pocky for this) haha... How've you and ryan been? Im still breaking in my car.. it's taking forever.
Old 04-01-07, 01:07 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

Honestly, i think the money is well worth it to get the clear bra from Aerotect.
Nothing gives me more mental anguish than seeing the rock chips at the bumper/fender/hood.
Old 04-01-07, 11:10 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wushuboy
Hey frank, haha I already had a clear bra when i met you. I got it the friday before the meet. No major mods for me like rims and such.. just minor ones like replacing LEDs, redouts, nav hack ( gotta ask pocky for this) haha... How've you and ryan been? Im still breaking in my car.. it's taking forever.
My bad. I thought u said no mods yet. Ryan is doing fine. He started school Monday @ Cal Poly Pomona. Take your time with break-in. Don't wanna mess it up. Fred/Ray(my nickname)

Quick Reply: Clear bra....