IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 08:03 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea..Forgot to say. The feel is different to me and doesn't grip like the old ones. Well it beats washing my wheels/car every other day

Dang
Old 03-31-07, 12:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles do you think the stock pads will last? My goal is to swap, just before they're shot!
Old 03-31-07, 03:18 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danger4o5
Hey BILL,

Yea, I was going to tell you that the rotors were NOT replaced. I checked it once i got home and noticed there was a lip on the outside of the rotors, PLUS rust on the rotors like they were old. So they did not resurfaced my rotors either.

DANG
Yeah the time allotment does not pay for rotor resurfacing. Like I said, I'm surprised Lexus would do it this way.

-Bill
Old 03-31-07, 05:38 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
How many miles do you think the stock pads will last? My goal is to swap, just before they're shot!
I have no clue. But I should have waited..
Old 04-01-07, 11:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Mine were 20% worn in 22k miles. Some have complained about having their brakes done at 15k, but none of those people have admitted to driving with both feet (I suspect they do.) If you drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas, expect them to last less than 20k miles. If you don't, they may well last 50k or more. It's all about how you use brakes.

FWIW, a friend worked at Honda as a tech for some years and told me he saw cars coming in every 10k for brakes; their drivers were all female. Also, I once drove over 50 miles on I-5 following an M3 with an idiot driver riding the brakes all the way. I couldn't tell when he was stopping and when he wasn't because the brake lights were constantly on, but his brakes were wearing out at an alarming rate as evidenced by the severe brake dust on all four wheels.
Old 04-01-07, 11:21 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Mine were 20% worn in 22k miles. Some have complained about having their brakes done at 15k, but none of those people have admitted to driving with both feet (I suspect they do.)
I can understand driving with 2 feet on the track, but just don't get why people on the hwy can't keep their left foot on the ground!?

Wow, just 20 percent work after 22k! Obviously lots of hwy driving for ya!
Old 04-01-07, 11:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Lots of highway and a fundamental belief that brakes are for the timid (or to induce rotation!)
Old 04-01-07, 11:41 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Lots of highway and a fundamental belief that brakes are for the timid (or to induce rotation!)
Do you downshift often to save the brakes? Then there is the question of whether that does more wear to the tranny than braking would do to the pads?
Old 04-01-07, 12:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Do you downshift often to save the brakes? Then there is the question of whether that does more wear to the tranny than braking would do to the pads?
I'd rather brake to stop or slow down than to downshift on the tranny.
Old 04-01-07, 01:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ES3
Never. Downshifting to save the brakes is a completely false economy. Brakes are FAR cheaper to replace than gearboxes (with or without clutches) ever will be. No, I just plan ahead to lift. The way I see braking is a waste of the gas I just used to accelerate to speed, so the less I use the brakes, the more I get out of a tank of gas. It also reduces overall operating expense, except when I drive into turns hot to scrub speed naturally, then I'm burning up tires, but hey, I'll do that no matter what anyway so for me it all works out in the end.

FWIW, the shoulder blocks on my front tires are nearly bald at 23k miles, but I still have lots of tread depth in the center. I'm also on track for about 30k from my rears if they continue to wear at their current rate. I'd really like to add a half degree of negative camber in the front. It would save me a lot on tire wear.
Old 04-01-07, 01:18 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Never. Downshifting to save the brakes is a completely false economy. Brakes are FAR cheaper to replace than gearboxes (with or without clutches) ever will be.
But some downshifting should be within normal wear and tear expectations, right? Otherwise they wouldn't necessarily give us the downshift options, no?
Old 04-01-07, 03:39 PM
lexuslovah
Driver School Candidate

The tranny must downshift anyway, so what difference would it make if you decided to downshift to help slow the car?
Old 04-01-07, 06:03 PM
topecho1
Driver School Candidate

Default Pads and rotors

My pads and rotors were replaced at 33k and 3mm left on the pads. I brought a copy of the TSB with me. They gave me a loaner but called me later in the day to tell me the job would be delayed as they needed to also replace the rotors and needed to order them. Lexus of Thousand Oaks, they were great.
Old 04-01-07, 06:38 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

are tsb free like recalls?
Old 04-02-07, 04:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lexuslovah
The tranny must downshift anyway, so what difference would it make if you decided to downshift to help slow the car?
It wears out the clutches faster if you force the downshift. Transmission clutches are far more expensive to replace than brake pads. The same is true with a manual. Add to this additional ring wear from rev matching at high rpm, and you've just signed a contract for a significantly shorter service life on both engine and transmission.

Quick Reply: So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...