IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Groaning front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 05:55 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groaning front brakes

My 07 IS350, one month old. The front brakes groan when applied at very slow speeds...seems more prevalent when they are cold. Anyone experience this? If so what is the fix. Please don't tell me to take it to the dealer...I plan to do this anyway but would like to point them in the direction of a known fix. Thanks.
Old 03-30-07, 06:01 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

ive read other post about this issue, and mine does it was well.. from what ive read, i think it's normal.. not sure that you'll find a "fix".. although, someone posted on the TSB brake thread that the new brake pads installed under the TSB do not make the same noise..
Old 03-30-07, 06:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

you + panic button = normal. press the brake harder.
Old 03-30-07, 07:11 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I complained to the dealer about the exact same problem....even though I figured it was a normal thing (it occurs to a much lesser degree on my 02 accord)

I told them to just check it out and let me know if there was any problems. Without my consent the tech went and resurfaced the rotors....

Of course this didn't solve anything, but yeah I just press hard on the brakes the first couple of times when it is cold. After the pads warm up, this should go away.
Old 03-30-07, 07:19 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal... My IS350 does it also...
Old 03-30-07, 07:30 PM
gixxrr
Rookie

I have the same problem on my 350 but didn't think too much of it. It usually happens when I'm moving slow to a complete stop and slow acceleration from a complete stop.
Old 03-30-07, 07:31 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

It's normal, my IS 250 AWD does it as well.. its groaning only when I first start the car, after I warm it up a bit it goes away
Old 03-30-07, 07:35 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It may be a Lexus thing...

...my IS350 does it, my old ES330s did it, and my wifes RX330 does it. I kind of think its sort of funny in a way. I sometimes pull out of the garage REALLY slow and just let them creeeeeeeeek. Kinda sounds like a ship going under - like i would really know what that sounds like! Anyway, i hate noises too, but i think this is one that is what it is.
Old 03-30-07, 09:47 PM
NGG
Pole Position

To all who answered...thank you. What you all said really helps. Even if it is "normal" it would still be nice to understand its cause. Most other cars don't do it. If I ever find out I will post.
Old 03-30-07, 09:50 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Totally agree.

Originally Posted by NGG
To all who answered...thank you. What you all said really helps. Even if it is "normal" it would still be nice to understand its cause. Most other cars don't do it. If I ever find out I will post.
It would be nice to find out what it is so maybe it can be fixed. Now that i think about it, i've had other cars that have done it too, i used to have a chrysler cirrus (STOP LAUGHING!!!) and it did it too. My maxima didnt do it to my recollection. I gotta think its just the materials in certaiin brake pads.
Old 03-30-07, 09:51 PM
ano0oj
Pole Position

I told the dealer about my brakes on my 5k service...all they did was re-lubricate the brakes and they said it'll go away...none the less, 3 days later, pulling up at a stop light was painful to my ears...do the new pads under TSB work out well or no?
Old 03-30-07, 09:58 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

someone mentioned that to lessen the sound you need to hose it down constantly. could be due to the fact the brake dust is building up between the rotors and brakepads.
Old 03-30-07, 11:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
I don't think so. I can make any car do it with any pads, and I have with every car I've owned. If you don't like the noise, avoid operating the brakes so softly at low speed.
Old 03-30-07, 11:45 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't think so. I can make any car do it with any pads, and I have with every car I've owned. If you don't like the noise, avoid operating the brakes so softly at low speed.
+1

I used to have an X5 and now have an LS430, the same problem in those cars as well.

Just think of it as a way to make sure you know your brakes are working

Or better yet, be happy that you don't have a Mercedes SLR whose thousands-of-dollars brakes squeal like mad!
Old 03-30-07, 11:55 PM
559IS350
Driver School Candidate

My 07 IS350 does the same too, only after it rain or just wash the car. I`ll do several hard stop but not fully stop kind of like breaking in the pads again. And after that mine stops groaning. Hope that help.

Quick Reply: Groaning front brakes