IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID fogs install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 02:02 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ba-b4, this really depends on the type of ballast you are using.

Some of the more efficient ballast only peak up to 10AMPS at start up, which is sufficiently fused and powered by existing 9006 power lines.

Some of the less efficient ballast, such as the Hella & Bosch, will peak up to 13-14AMPS at pull, which is why it is recommended to connect to the Battery and using a relay switched from your existing light socket.

For myself, I used the Matsu****a Ballast, which only require 10AMP Pull at start up. I connected it directly to the existing 9006 power lines without the usage of connections to the battery.

One more thing, for Low Beams, you must connect the ballast to the low beams power lines directly, else the check bulb indicator will turn on.
Old 04-03-07, 02:07 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
[I]I dont want to splice anything though if possible. Still confused as to what that ebay connector thing is for. Where does it connect and what does it extend? Is that to extend the factory connection so you can mount all the HID components inside the engine bay instead of the drivers side bumper?
I think i figured out the ebay connector. if it comes with a total of 4... two on each side than what you would do is connect the male factory socket to the female socket...than connect the two wires together so that you'll have another male socket connecting to the HID female socket... so at that point you would connect the HID ground and power to the wires you tied together... so technically it's still a slit in the wires but your using after market stuff rather than splitting the actual factory wire.... that's what i got out of it... just make sure you wrap it up so that no water touches the wires. just in case...

i wouldn't extend anything from passenger to driver... just alot more work than you would probably want to do... it's REALLY tight in that area... and trying to have one wire going to another is just going to be a pain. IMHO.
Old 04-03-07, 03:32 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
ba-b4, this really depends on the type of ballast you are using.

Some of the more efficient ballast only peak up to 10AMPS at start up, which is sufficiently fused and powered by existing 9006 power lines.

Some of the less efficient ballast, such as the Hella & Bosch, will peak up to 13-14AMPS at pull, which is why it is recommended to connect to the Battery and using a relay switched from your existing light socket.

For myself, I used the Matsu****a Ballast, which only require 10AMP Pull at start up. I connected it directly to the existing 9006 power lines without the usage of connections to the battery.

One more thing, for Low Beams, you must connect the ballast to the low beams power lines directly, else the check bulb indicator will turn on.
Yeah I heard some kits might fry your electrical because of the startup power draw. Do you know if the XenonDepot kit is safe to connect without plugging into the battery?
Old 04-03-07, 08:29 PM
istundra
Pole Position

the xenon depot xtreme kit, which is a relabeled McCulloch kit, will work fine when you connect it directly to your harness. If there is excessive draw, your OEM fuse will burn. That fuse is 15AMPS.

btw, did you know the xtreme kit/McCulloch kits are made in china?

I used matsu****a. 100% made in japan. Same brand as the OEM HID FOglamp option.
Old 04-03-07, 11:02 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

okay so no need for the connection back to the battery. I suppose risking the fuse is worth saving the hassle of routing to the battery. Thanks
Old 04-03-07, 11:45 PM
istundra
Pole Position

LOL.

You do what you want to do.

If the stock wiring won't support the HID Ballast, the fuse will blow. That's it! Just buy a pack of fuses and have some on hand.

If it does blow the fuse, then route it to the battery. Goodluck!
Old 04-04-07, 12:53 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeh someone with the xenon depot xtream fogs kit PM'ed me and they said they did it w/o running to the battery and it's okay so I guess I'll try it out. Maybe I'll double check w/ Xenon depot first on the ballasts power draw too. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-07, 01:14 AM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the same boat as ba-b4 right now, hopefully you guys can run me through this. I attach a pic of the hid kit (not sure of the brand), there are 2 wires I squared and 1 plug I circled. This is what I can tell from looking at the kit the bulb w/ wire plug into the wiring to the ballast and the wiring harness plugging into the ballast. (the arrows)

1.Now my question the red wire is that the power wire?
2.And the black is the ground?
3.And the circle plug is that suppose to go into the oem plug for ONE of the plugs?
4.Is there suppose to be only one plug?
5.Is it neccessary to run the red wire to the battery and the black wire to the ground?
6.The white plug which oem plug should I plug it into?

From looking at the kit and pic, you can see a fuse and I believe a resistor pack, right? Is that good enough to power these hid fogs?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails HID fogs install instructions?-cimg0030.jpg  
Old 04-05-07, 11:24 AM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

^^ Anyone?
Old 04-05-07, 12:00 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

SC400 your kit looks pretty similar to mine besides the colors but I think the wire to the battery might not be long enough to reach all the way from the fogs. I've some folks say they didn't even attach to the battery so I'm gonna just try that first and hopefully it doesn't blow the fuse. I'll just have to contact Xenon depot to ask how much of a startup draw their ballasts are first. If more folks can chime into this thread as to how they installed their HID fogs that'll be great!
Old 04-05-07, 12:03 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Thanks ba-b4! So is there suppose to be only one plug that plugs to the oem harness? Which side should I plug them into?
Old 04-05-07, 12:59 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humm after everyone done this someone should make a diy thread lol...i will be tackling this in the summer and i know i will have questions also
Old 04-05-07, 06:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

SC400_408. you have a imitation hella gen 3 ballast.

from what i used int he past, hella gen 3 ballast will require more then 10AMps start up and will require a relay harness... not sure about the imitation ones tho.
Old 04-05-07, 08:41 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, what's the point of having HID fog lights?

Blinding opposing traffic on top of HID head lights ?

Do some people actually NEED this upgrade ?
Old 04-05-07, 09:00 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

So I do have to run the red wire to the battery, right?

Originally Posted by istundra
SC400_408. you have a imitation hella gen 3 ballast.

from what i used int he past, hella gen 3 ballast will require more then 10AMps start up and will require a relay harness... not sure about the imitation ones tho.

Quick Reply: HID fogs install instructions?