IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID fogs install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 02:54 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man that is simple. Just plug it in the car and you are done. if it doesnt light up, it maybe a polarity issue. Simply undue the pins and flip them. If the polarity is incorrect, they will not light up.

Do you have a light tester? If you do, test your stock 9006 socket and You iwll know what I mean.
Old 04-08-07, 03:25 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^Yeah I figured that's all I had to do, but it didn't light up. Dkcivic told me in PM that he has the same kit and he just plugged it right in and it came up with no modifications. I guess I'll wait till he responds before I switch the polarity. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-07, 04:09 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Okay to prove this doesn't work for me Check this out. Just went out and did this right now.

connected TIGHTLY no go..

all the other lights are on but the HID bulb is not when connected this way.

Now I hooked up the relay wires and connected up the battery and ground.. Voila! Let there be light!!!

DKcivic just pm'ed me and told me he didn't have to modify the wires at all on his kit WTF am I doing wrong?!?!
Old 04-08-07, 04:11 PM
istundra
Pole Position

OKOK. simple. maybe DKcivic got lucky on the polarity.

Do you have a light tester?

I would personally check the 9006 plug from the car first and see which one is positive and which one is negative.

Once that is determined, plug the connection from the ballast into the car.

Observe if the positive wire from the car is going into the white...

and

Observe if the negative wire from the car is going into the black...

Grab a light lester and let me know.
Old 04-08-07, 04:20 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I don't have a light tester, I can understand how someone can get the polarity mixed up if the connectors weren't keyed on our kits but they are, so there's no way he nor I can get the polarity wrong because the connector doesn't allow for it to be switched. He just pm'ed me and said just make sure that connector is tight and it'll work which it is but just not working for me. I put everything back to stock and the stock halogen fog came on no prob, gotta go out now so I dont think I'll mess this again today but I'll look at the wires more carefully later. Maybe I'll PM you IStundra instead of posting all this on the board. Thanks again for your patience and help!
Old 04-08-07, 04:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

hey ba-B4, you can actually reverse the wires without cutting. Simply look inside the 9006 connection on the kit. If you use a pick tool, you can unclip the wire and reverse them. I've done this many many times. It is very possible.
Old 04-08-07, 04:38 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

what'll happen if the polarity isn't right and I plug it in. If it wont do any harm I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 04-08-07, 04:44 PM
istundra
Pole Position

well. I think if there is harm, it was already done.

You have previously connected the ballast As-IS to your OEM 9006 connection and it did not light up...

That means 2 things. 1. The polarity is incorrect. 2. The connection is loose.

How about doing this for kicks ok?

Using the relay harness wiring.. Connect the Positive to the Battery. Connect the Negative to the battery of Chasis.

Then plug in the 9006 connection on the relay harness to your car's 9006 socket.

If it doesn't light up, then it is very clear the polarity is incorrect.. then go ahead and swap the polarity.

One more thing since you are out there... Can you tell me the OEM color coding wires to the Ballast's Black and White wire.

SOmetimes by looking at the OEM color coding, you may be able to determine the polarity.
Old 04-08-07, 05:23 PM
dkcivic82
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
hey ba-B4, you can actually reverse the wires without cutting. Simply look inside the 9006 connection on the kit. If you use a pick tool, you can unclip the wire and reverse them. I've done this many many times. It is very possible.
Do exactly what he said and it should work. Now that I realize it, I unclip the wire and reverse them. try this and it should work... let us know.
Old 04-08-07, 08:12 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dkcivic82
Do exactly what he said and it should work. Now that I realize it, I unclip the wire and reverse them. try this and it should work... let us know.
DUDE so you DID reverse them! Okay I'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know how it went. We got the same kit so if you had to reverse them to get it to work then it'll probably work for me too. Thanks!
Old 04-08-07, 10:09 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Okay FINALLY!!! So I couldn't wait till tomorrow to try it out and the pics speak for themselves. THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!! Especially ISTUNDRA AND DKCIVIC for being so patient with me.

So for the record anyone who's got the XenonDepot Xtreme fogs kit NEEDS to reverse the wires in the 9006 connector for this to work without using the relay harness. If using the relay harness to connect to the battery you need to leave it alone.

Last edited by ba-b4; 04-08-07 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 10:29 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Congrats! I knew it was a polarity issue all along!
Old 04-09-07, 12:13 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^IStundra: Yep thanks again!

Just for the heck of it I wanted to see how it looked like from other drivers perspective with 4 HID's firing away so I had my woman drive the IS behind me. Looking in the rear view it was like staring into the sun!!! DAMN THAT'S BRIGHT!!! Oh well as long as I can see right? LOL
Old 04-09-07, 09:50 AM
twkid84
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey so where did u mount your ballasts
I am planning to do HID fogs too
thanks
Old 04-09-07, 10:27 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome job for the fogs.......i plan to do it as well and maybe you can answer a couple of my questions....

1) so is it bad if you connect the kit directly into the OEM 9006 socket? or should you really connect it to the battery?

2) after you plugged in the wires and the bulbs lighted up, where did you place everything (the ballasts, etc.) so it doesn't move?

3) did you put the HID bulbs right back into the original position? what im trying to say is...did you have to angle the bulbs or something to make sure the HID bulbs are aligned so the cutoff is straight and not like uneven?

thanks man

Quick Reply: HID fogs install instructions?