IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID fogs install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 12:44 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ like IStundra said it depends on the ballasts. If they're not very efficient and draws too much power on start up then it might blow the fuse. I have read that others with my kit Xenon Depot Xtreme are doing it without the relay and no problems thus far so I decided to go this route to for simplicity. If you go with the relay method it'll be a PITA to route all those wires from the fender area to the battery.

2) after I plugged everything in I just zip tied the loose wires together to some other wires in the fender and then got some double sided high strength Velcro tape and taped it to the sides of the bumper cover. The velcro is very strong and also makes the ballast removal easy if you wanna take them off or relocate them later. Where I mounted the ballasts was a pretty crappy location actually but seems like it'll do for now. If you take off the bumper for this install it'll be much easier for sure to find a place to mount the ballasts. I didn't wanna bother though.

3) Yes I put the bulbs back in the original position. You HAVE To. The difference between the stock and HID bulbs is that the connector for the stock bulb is angled so you got leverage to twist it into place whereas for the HID ones the connector isn't angled and it was just difficult in getting enough leverage to twist the bulb into place, but you'll get it after a few mins. Just make sure it really IS twisted tight into place or the bulbs will fall out of alignment in the socket and your cut off will be all screwy like you see in some of the other HID posts on this board.
Old 04-09-07, 01:31 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Matsu****a Ballast (OEM JDM HID FOGLAMP BALLAST) and Philips 85122 (OEM JDM HID FOGLAMP BULBS) for my foglamp. I connected it directly as well. For mounting, I just zip tied it in there. I didnt really care becuase the matsu****a ballast are fully potted and very very durable.
Old 04-10-07, 01:17 AM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, curious from my picture that I posted of my hid kit do you guys think I should run it to the battery or I can reverse the polarity? And I'm not sure what did istundra mean by switching the polarity? On the oem plug or hid plug?
Old 04-10-07, 03:46 AM
istundra
Pole Position

switching polarity on HID Plug.

I am sure you do not want to modify your OEM wiring.

Try plugging it directly and see if your 15AMP fuse would pop.

If so, then you will have to route it to the battery and use existing 9006 plugs as remote, not source.
Old 04-10-07, 03:47 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Also, it is good to confirm polarity before you do the switch.

Each kit will vary on the polarity.

Some ballast are not polarity protected, so 1 mistake will result in shorted ballast.

Check before you do any swap.

Simply use a light tester.
Old 04-10-07, 05:22 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Well I went out to the shop to check on the car today and went ahead and ran the red wire to the battery. Hit the fog switch and voilaaaaaa, its on! So I think i'm going to leave like that, it doesn't hurt to run the power wire. Thanks!
Old 04-10-07, 08:23 PM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

wow sounds like alot of work to just change bulbs what is the big difference in the 2 someone please fill me in
Old 04-10-07, 08:38 PM
istundra
Pole Position

HID is much brighter for 1....

and Having HID 4200K will match your HID Lowbeams. Well close enough match.

SOme people go with 3000K HID to achieve the JDM Yellow Foglamp theme.
Old 04-10-07, 08:43 PM
istundra
Pole Position

HID is much brighter for 1....

and Having HID 4200K will match your HID Lowbeams. Well close enough match.

SOme people go with 3000K HID to achieve the JDM Yellow Foglamp theme.
Old 04-10-07, 09:29 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yes HID fogs are WAY brighter than the normal fogs. My only complaint on my 3000k hid fogs is that they're so bright that they're not all that yellow when you look at them. If I got regular yellow bulbs instead they'll appear more yellow when you look at them on the car but the down side is you'll have much less of that yellow light on the road.
Old 04-10-07, 10:05 PM
istundra
Pole Position

maybe this ba-b4... some of those cheaper kits, it won't surprise me if they used old stock high kelvin colored bulbs are coated in yellow disguising the color.
Old 04-11-07, 01:30 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled out the old kit from my accord and put them into my fog lights. One of the ballasts has been fried, but the other is working great. Looks awesome. I have 6000k bulbs, and am scrambling to find another ballast that will work with my set. It doesnt use standard connections. I think I may luck out. Will post pics when I have them.

For now, I just threw the ballasts and igniters all behind the covers. Anyone know if a A LOT of water gets behind there? I would think not too much since there is a lot of stock wiring to begin with back there.
Old 04-11-07, 09:53 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a working ballast from a friend of a friend. 6000k looks sick. The only problem is that my fog lights look nicer than my headlights.

I'll post pics when I can. The passenger side was kind of a pain to get to. I broke one "clip pin" it wouldn't come out, and the clip itself wouldn't really budge well. I may have just not known how to do it right... oh well....
Old 04-11-07, 11:33 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just installed my 8l HID FOGs..i MOUNTED THE BALLAST on the wires near the washerfluid on the driver side and MOUNTED the other BALLAST on a couple wires hanging above the fog light. im sure no water can get in because a lot of wires are there. PM me if u need to me take pictures. post pictures tomorrow!
Old 04-12-07, 12:56 PM
chuckler
Driver

once you go HID, you never go back. haha

ba-b4, I'm in the same boat as you with the yellowness. on the road it appears yellow but if you look at it..its not so yellow. I believe the makers of these type of bulbs use a 5000k one and coat it with some type of yellow prism like filter. If you really want the deep intense yellow..get the 3000k XenonDepot Philips bulb, they use a yellow filter. someone on this forum has it..it looks awesome. i'd get that bulb but i'll wait till its time to replace them.

i mounted my driver side ballast in the crevice of the washer fluid tank with double sided velcro tape and i used the mounting bracket and bolted it to a hole found on the frame for passenger side ballast. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: HID fogs install instructions?