IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID fogs install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 11:53 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HID fogs install instructions?

Did a search but didn't find anyone who posted up instructions on how to install HID fogs. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but just got my shipment of 3000k hid fogs from xenon depot today and would like to slap those babies on asap! btw. I've already installed HID's for my regular low beams in the past so is it much different than that? Thanks!
Old 03-31-07, 12:37 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here you go. its just how to install fog light bulbs but there is no difference with installing HID bulbs, just make sure you place the blast where no water can get too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223728
Old 03-31-07, 10:55 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks I saw that thread but that's only for the bulbs. Anything out there for HID fogs wiring?
Old 04-01-07, 08:56 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the biggest question is where you connect the power wire and the ground wire for the HID's... I am actually curious to what everyone else did also.

I personally, slit the wires in the back of the 9006 socket. The socket that he is holding in the pic below has two wires... one is ground and one is power... i forgot what colors they were but it was easy to differentiate from the two. one was white and black i think and the other was green and red. black for ground red for power. hope this helps.

Old 04-01-07, 09:27 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhm normally, you wouldn't have to SLIT anything. Most kits are simply plug and play into the harness. The last thing you want to do is start cutting into any harnesses.
Old 04-01-07, 09:54 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

aye aye....

check this out!!

Plug that adapter in there.. ... and you get two ends to strip and connect. Strictly PLUG/PLAY setup. No cutting to your OEM wires at all! Be smart and try to avoid cutting OEM wires at all times!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-01-07, 12:39 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Hey guys i'm trying to understand this ebay attachment....

the xenon depot or xtreme kits already have a 9006 plug that goes into the factory socket, which leads up into the ballast and from the ballast connects to the HID bulb... Now i was referring to the extra RED POWER and BLACK GROUND wires... now at this point if you connected this Ebay attachment to the factory socket it leaves the socket that goes to the ballast un-attended...but it covers the ground and power wires.

I Think it's a good idea but i'm just trying to figure out how this works. any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-07, 01:00 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

For me I know how to install the HID's since I've done it already for the lowbeams. For the fogs however It'd be nice if the folks that have already done it help share how they mounted the balasts where and do I have to drill the fog covers? In order to change bulbs I know you don't have to take off the bumper just pull back the fender lining but but what about when converting to HIDs? Can I still do this without taking out the bumper?

I'm thinking it'll be hard to mount this additional set of balasts in the engine compartment since it was already so tough to find a place for my first set of HID components it's so tight! Do I mount them inside the fender area? So anyway, does anyone care to share mounting points for components wires etc? Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-07, 01:25 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

This is the Xenon Depot Xtreme kit. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited by ba-b4; 04-01-07 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 12:31 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

bump. Wow nobody can help huh?
Old 04-03-07, 12:59 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

questions answered from left to right top to bottom.

1 that connector can reach the battery on the passenger's side but not the driver's side... i though... don't think it's necessary to do that i still would recommend my way which is the easier way or use the ebay connector that someone recommended.
2 yes that is the female adaptor that goes into your factory socket
3 the ground as i recommended earlier in my previous post
4 I just placed my ballast in with all the wires in the bumper...it's a tight fit so you won't have to worry about it moving around.
Old 04-03-07, 01:11 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Is it just this kit or am I missing something here?

When I installed a Supervision 9006 HID kit in my accord a few years ago, All I had to do was this:

Original 9006 Socket>Connected to Ballast>connected to Igniter>Connected to Bulb>Plugged into Socket

There was no other wiring involved. Is it because this is a fog light that there is extra wiring involved? I thought it was a simply 9006 plug and play swap?

Are HID kits just being made differently these days?

There was no need for a ground wire or power wire. Everything was simply fed through the original 9006 socket, it was true plug and play.
Old 04-03-07, 01:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

>>questions answered from left to right top to bottom.

1 that connector can reach the battery on the passenger's side but not the driver's side... i though... don't think it's necessary to do that i still would recommend my way which is the easier way or use the ebay connector that someone recommended.
2 yes that is the female adaptor that goes into your factory socket
3 the ground as i recommended earlier in my previous post
4 I just placed my ballast in with all the wires in the bumper...it's a tight fit so you won't have to worry about it moving around.<<

I dont want to splice anything though if possible. Still confused as to what that ebay connector thing is for. Where does it connect and what does it extend? Is that to extend the factory connection so you can mount all the HID components inside the engine bay instead of the drivers side bumper?

Basically you're saying that for the passenger side what came with the kit reaches the battery no problem right? Just the drivers side is not long enough? So I'm wondering if it'll be easier if I just cut off the battery connector off of the drivers side wire and just straight connect a longer piece of wire to the battery if that'll work better and so I can install the drivers side same as the passenger side?

Thanks for responding btw.

Last edited by ba-b4; 04-03-07 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 01:22 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcho82
Is it just this kit or am I missing something here?

When I installed a Supervision 9006 HID kit in my accord a few years ago, All I had to do was this:

Original 9006 Socket>Connected to Ballast>connected to Igniter>Connected to Bulb>Plugged into Socket

There was no other wiring involved. Is it because this is a fog light that there is extra wiring involved? I thought it was a simply 9006 plug and play swap?

Are HID kits just being made differently these days?

There was no need for a ground wire or power wire. Everything was simply fed through the original 9006 socket, it was true plug and play.
I think doing it this way was not recommended as it could fry your electrical system? Not really sure.
Old 04-03-07, 01:47 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

How could it fry your electrical system if its running at a lower wattage?

Also maybe the kit itself was different. On my kit I didnt have loose wires coming out. Everything was simply plug and play and harnesses. One plug went into the stock harness and that was it. All of the other connections between the ballasts, igniters, and bulbs were simply plug and play with the harnesses. Which is why I'm quite confused.

Quick Reply: HID fogs install instructions?