IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer CRACKED My Windshield!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 09:22 AM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tough crowd... We *are* talking about a windshield here, right? Windshields get pinged by rocks and crack every day. Windshields are replaced every day... Windshield replacement is hardly rocket science. There is no diminished value in a car with a new (Lexus brand?) windshield. I understand the disappointment that Sarorn felt, but am suprised at some of the responses.
Old 04-01-07, 09:36 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't get pissed... I'd look at it as more time to abuse the loaner
Old 04-01-07, 10:32 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I would be mad even dealer is going to replace it.

1. Body re-work (windshield in this case) will never be the same when compare with original quality that was done in factory.

2. Dealer fix windshields? No, never.. The contracted labor will come to fix it. Remeber the guy with unbrella-hat who works in dealer's parking lot under 100f degree day?

3. Cost more time. In your case, you should get more compensation than the free glass. The windshield should be free anyway since dealer's fault.
Old 04-01-07, 10:55 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoolitt
Tough crowd... We *are* talking about a windshield here, right? Windshields get pinged by rocks and crack every day.
Yes, and I get pissed off at the ****ing rocks that hit my windshield too!
Old 04-01-07, 11:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,994 Likes on 2,418 Posts

I had a star in the windshield that got repaired two weeks ago. Yesterday, while driving out of the driveway, I heard a sharp crack like a rock hitting the windshield. Sure enough, the star is back. Damn. I was hoping the repair would last.

I priced the windshield at the dealer yesterday. If you have rain sensing wipers, the parts bill comes up to nearly $950 for glass and the ancillary stuff to install the new glass. It's definitely worth an insurance claim.
Old 04-01-07, 01:47 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolverine
why are you pissed? it was an accident right? they are replacing it for free right? are they giving you a loner also? if so then its all good, accidents happen all the time man. good luck with the windshield.

Just because it was an accident doesn't mean he shouldn't be upset. When you go to a dealership to have work like that done, you expect that they do everything possible to prevent such accidents. So when it happens, it's a sign of carelessness, and it reflects back on the let-down of trust you gave them.
Old 04-01-07, 02:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,994 Likes on 2,418 Posts

I doubt it was carelessness. I had a problem with the trim on my tC and took it in for warranty repair. They told me flat out that the windshield would have to be replaced. I just looked at them stunned. Replaced? For a broken trim piece? Yes. They advised me that because the glass is a structural part of the car (gotta have strength for the side impact airbags...) the trim actually adds strength to the glass and can't be removed without breaking the glass.

So what happened could very easily be quite normal. Sure it's frustrating, but getting mad about something that happens every time you replace the window trim is pretty pointless.
Old 04-01-07, 03:10 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt it was carelessness. I had a problem with the trim on my tC and took it in for warranty repair. They told me flat out that the windshield would have to be replaced. I just looked at them stunned. Replaced? For a broken trim piece? Yes. They advised me that because the glass is a structural part of the car (gotta have strength for the side impact airbags...) the trim actually adds strength to the glass and can't be removed without breaking the glass.

So what happened could very easily be quite normal. Sure it's frustrating, but getting mad about something that happens every time you replace the window trim is pretty pointless.
I agree. That's exactly what the service manager told me when he spoke to me on the phone. He said he was trying not to break it, but it just did. At first the crack was about as long as a finger nail, then it got longer and longer.

I think if I knew my windshield was going to crack, I would not have allowed them to replace that molding. I know I'm getting a free windshield, but 'the car is so new anyways that I'd prefer for it to happen a year or so from now instead. It's a bummer none the less...

On a lighter note...It did give me the opportunity to make my 100th' posting on CL and I became an Official Driver
Old 04-01-07, 07:52 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

I just had mine front replaced about a week ago. Make sure they use Lexus glass..I had one company that my insurance said to use come out with what they said was OEM and it didn’t have the Lexus logo on the glass. I told them I didn’t want it and finally found some one that would replace it with Lexus glass. It looks like brand new and no leeks. I have 100% glass so I didn’t have to pay anything but I signed the invoice and it was $1575.00 for the glass and labor. Not cheap but it looks like new!