IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Poll removed - discussion thread only
xxx
0%
yyy
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Mother of all "Should I get IS250 or IS350?" threads (merged into one steaming pile)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 05:41 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

uselessthread
Old 12-13-09, 07:45 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusIs408
Real talk, you guys didnt buy a lexuse bescuase you guys were concerned with the fuel economy. If that were the case you would all have carbonfibered out, Viped Prius's
Fuel economy was indeed a major factor for me!

1) Rear wheel drive
2) Four door sedan
3) Best fuel economy
4) Quality, reliability

Looked at many cars, IS is head and shoulders above anything else on the planet going by our criteria for a long term family vehicle.

I laugh at MSN Autos every time they run a "Best Economy Sporty Sedans" kind of article and never even sniff the IS250.

Our car blows away anything they feature, in mpg, performance, luxury, and reliability.

Never thought that trumpeting the benefits of the best balanced car in the world from a Total Cost of Owniership vs. Luxury and Performance standpoint, would draw so much hate!!
In the Lexus forum at that!
Sheesh!! Where am I? Is this the BMW forum?
Old 12-13-09, 10:33 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

All i can say is that, i get almost 500 miles for a full tank of gas
Old 12-13-09, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

All I can say is I'm unwilling to drive slow enough to get 500 miles per tank, lol.
Old 12-13-09, 10:49 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

^^lol who says, i drive slow. fully modded as a "Daily Driver" taking every single deeps and bumps and still going strong with aggressive wheels. Can you drive the way i drive lolz
Old 12-13-09, 11:22 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no difference between the is350 and the is250 except the brakes. However, their are a lot of differences between my 2009 is350 and my 2008 is250.
Old 12-13-09, 11:47 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From 50ft away you cant tell a difference Ha!! Thats why!! As somebody mentioned Is this the BMW forum?
Old 12-13-09, 01:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna

that doesn't even make sense, especially coming from someone who got the is250 because of the fuel economy and lower cost as a trade-off for the performance and higher price tag of the is350.

hate to break this to you, but weaving through traffic does not make you a "skilled" driver by any means. as a matter of fact, your ego/bravado/perception is writing checks that you and your is250 can't afford. give up the pipe dream before your ego/bravado/perception and your is250 gets walked on by an is350.
So this really makes no sense... I never said that I bought it for gas millage... others have... so maybe u should get your facts straight... I don't think I can drive. I know I can so. So let your mouth write checks your skills can't cash. So basically ur whole reply made no sense... and to be honest I think it was un called for bec ya know what I asked why did people buy a 250 instead of a 350... didn't ask which one is better... that answer is pretty obvious 350 is faster and couple other things... so all the 250 bashing is totally unneccesary... never thought I would hear so much negativity from people in the same group.
Old 12-13-09, 02:42 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

i think this thread should be closed because it's stupid and pointless. i'm pretty sure when people bought their car, they clearly knew the difference between the 250 and the 350. and most people have similar reasons to why they chose one over the other. kinda creating like a schism on CL if ya know what i mean... we all know the differences by heart, no need to start a thread about it... just go to www.lexususa.com if you want to know the differences...

edit:
i thought this was the thread created by PEARLIS250. but it's by mo. but either way. kinda dumb to keep it open so members can flame each other when all the useful facts are already posted in the first couple of pages. lol
Old 12-13-09, 03:30 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
There is no difference between the is350 and the is250 except the brakes. However, their are a lot of differences between my 2009 is350 and my 2008 is250.
Uhhhh... The power ? The brakes ? The suspension ? And the standard oem 17's vs 18's

The only thing the same is the body pretty much and interior
Old 12-13-09, 03:32 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
i think this thread should be closed because it's stupid and pointless. i'm pretty sure when people bought their car, they clearly knew the difference between the 250 and the 350. and most people have similar reasons to why they chose one over the other. kinda creating like a schism on CL if ya know what i mean... we all know the differences by heart, no need to start a thread about it... just go to www.lexususa.com if you want to know the differences...

edit:
i thought this was the thread created by PEARLIS250. but it's by mo. but either way. kinda dumb to keep it open so members can flame each other when all the useful facts are already posted in the first couple of pages. lol
+1 well stated
Old 12-13-09, 03:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
So this really makes no sense... I never said that I bought it for gas millage... others have... so maybe u should get your facts straight... I don't think I can drive. I know I can so. So let your mouth write checks your skills can't cash. So basically ur whole reply made no sense... and to be honest I think it was un called for bec ya know what I asked why did people buy a 250 instead of a 350... didn't ask which one is better... that answer is pretty obvious 350 is faster and couple other things... so all the 250 bashing is totally unneccesary... never thought I would hear so much negativity from people in the same group.
believe it all you want. "keyboard warriors" are aplenty here, and i see no point in trying to debate with you the (painfully) obvious. i'm not being negative; i'm being realistic. there is a difference, but obviously you can't tell.

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL

edit:
it was, but apparently this was discussed in a thread a while back. either he didn't find it, or wanted to start another "stupid and pointless" discussion (i'm just quoting you, so as not to reflect my own opinion regarding this matter).
Old 12-13-09, 04:16 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

1. I believe 60-65% of ISs sold are 250s compared to 350s.
2. Lexus only offered an IS 300 last time here (IS 200 in Europe). We are FORTUNATE to have IS 250, 350 and an IS-F offered here.
3. Worldwide there is also an IS 220d (diesel) in Europe and an IS 300 in the Middle East.
4. People buy a 250 vs 350 for different reasons and people have different priorities.
5. 250 vs 350 the basics are there, both are a fantastic Lexus vehicle. Differences are small but make a huge difference in performance.

Personally I've had more fun driving the snot outta an IS 250 than a 350. The 350 is so powerful, you can keep the car in any gear and it goes. The 250 is not like that, you have to stay very involved with it.

I then prefer the IS 350 F-sport. That car is as complete of a package as you can get. It is one amazing vehicle and the parts really transform the car.

The IS-F of course is here and well kills any argument

The IS is a possible replacement for my G/F so we are TRULY studying the need for the 350 over the 250 if it will be her car. For me, I would go with the 350 as the power is far to much to ignore.

Bottom line you all are IS brothers and sisters so cut any offensive 250 vs 350 crap.
Old 12-13-09, 05:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, well said.
Old 12-13-09, 05:14 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I drove 4 hours to get the 350 over about 100 250's that were closer to me. The 100hp was just way to much for me to overlook. Plus I've heard from numerous people that the 250 is sluggish and underpowered. IMO, they should have just made it a 4cyl and made it get great MPG (30+ HWY) Like the Acura TSX. The drive train would have been even cheaper and it could of potentially competed with the TSX. Maybe even put the Hybrid motor in there and skip the creation of the HS250.

I also think they should have made a 6spd RWD version of the IS350 and an AWD version in the standard automatic. Theres NO reason not to have those options.

LAstly, I'd venture to say 85% of IS's sold are 250's, as I very RARELY see another 350 on the road. I dont need tons of HP in a car like this, but the 350 has the power to get out of its way and make a quick decision. In a car this expensive (40k+ with nav) I think that's something that should always be included. I mean lets be real here, our cars are affordable luxury cars right? Well look at full blown luxury cars (High end Mercedes, Bmw's, Bentley, Maserati, etc...) They all have POWER. Not to be race cars but because its part of the luxury ambiance.

Quick Reply: Mother of all "Should I get IS250 or IS350?" threads (merged into one steaming pile)