IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Features You Will Never Use

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 05:45 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
For me, I think I'll never find a use for the rear sun visor. It's cool how you can press the button and it goes up and down...but what is it really used for?

What other features do you find useless?

i use the rear sunshade almost every time i drive at night. mostly when big trucks or acuras are behind me. really takes the edge off of headlights that the auto dimming mirror doesnt quite take care of.

try driving at sunset with the sun behind you, i bet you'd use it.

i dont really use the sunroof dial. its either opened or closed for me. its too hard to have it partly open and adjust all your other windows so you dont get the shaking.

i hardly use the mp3 input. too cumbersome to hold the ipod in my hand and i like to shuffle around songs, not listen to a whole playlist at a time.

i never use the paddle shifters. i came from a 5 speed with a short throw shifter, so any shift that takes longer than .4 seconds is too long for me
Old 04-04-07, 06:15 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Though I'd never opt to remove it, I'd have to say the least used feature would be the memory seating. Others rarely drive my car, and the passengers usually adjust their seats according to how many are in the car at the time.

Originally Posted by Rasengan
i've never had to use the trunk release lever from inside the trunk...yet
lol
Old 04-04-07, 08:24 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check it out

Originally Posted by taylorjste
i've never really justified the use of the interior cabin filter on the A/C controls.. i understand why it's there, i just dont know if it makes much of a difference.. do you guys leave it on all the time?
Pull t he existing filter..see how dirty it is...then you know why to use it
Old 04-04-07, 08:36 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't and never will use the cigarrete lighter. Any passenger who thinks of using it will be ejected.
Old 04-04-07, 08:49 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turkf26
cig. lighter...lol

I was so shocked when i first pushed the cover back and saw the cig. lighter, i was floored. I mean who smokes in their Lexus???
Any car without a cig lighter is a deal-buster for me. I smoke in my car; it's just a car, people! Same goes for polo shirts without a g***amned pocket!
Old 04-04-07, 08:50 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the rear sunshade when parked in the sun, as it might help with interior fading and possibly slight cooling. Even though I have 20% tint, it helps to darken the back window even further. Don't have passengers much, but I can agree that in the hot summer sun, at the right angle, passengers can get hot back there. Although since the back window is so sharply angled(and rather small), its not as bad as many other cars out there.
Old 04-04-07, 08:59 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
i dont really use the sunroof dial. its either opened or closed for me. its too hard to have it partly open and adjust all your other windows so you dont get the shaking.
Shaking? I open my sunroof two clicks, or sometimes 3, to let smoke out (yes, smoke!) and leave the windows up. With the 'vent' open on the A/C, that causes no shaking, nor excessive wind noise at any speed, and takes the smoke directly out of the car.

The windows are what I rarely use; any size opening in the driver's window causes wind-in-your-ear brain damage! My next car (if any) will be a coupe.
Old 04-04-07, 09:01 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS
The windows are what I rarely use; any size opening in the driver's window causes wind-in-your-ear brain damage! My next car (if any) will be a coupe.
I can't stand the wind buffeting in this car....
Old 04-04-07, 09:29 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Originally Posted by taylorjste
i've never really justified the use of the interior cabin filter on the A/C controls.. i understand why it's there, i just dont know if it makes much of a difference.. do you guys leave it on all the time?
The cabin filter is one of the best things if you ever pass an area with lots of skunks, get stuck be hind a bus spewing diesel...or any foul smelling occurance. It really works, hit the button and in a min or so all the smell is out of the cabin. I was surprised at how well it worked.

But I never use the trunk pass thru. It would be great if they would have made the opening big enough for a snowboard.

Last edited by davidbenji; 04-04-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-04-07, 09:49 AM
Joneser
Driver

i hardly use the sunshade as well... but the main reason the direction of my commute... i have used it once or twice since i bought it before new years...

the wind buffeting, i noticed, is easily killed if you tilt the sunroof... the worse wind noise is with just the rear windows open... but all that definitly makes me appreciate the aerodynamics of this car... I'm coming off a '97 4runner, so believe me its a beautiful thing not getting blown off Lake Shore Drive in the "Windy" City...

other things...

don't use the lighter...

don't use the MPG tank reading...

don't use the phonebook...

don't use the panic button unless i feel like scaring an unsuspecting person... oh wait... i did it another time when watching someone parallel parking behond me and i was in my fiance's place... i pushed it to prevent a possible "love" tap...

don't use the recycled air mode but has anyone noticed how you can smell everything outside... there was a guy two cars ahead of me at a lightsmoking and i could smell it eventhough my windows were up... forgive me but i haven't had a new car in 10 years... (god i love that leather smell though)

always have ECT on..

always use surround sound...

one Nav thing i would like to figure out and/ or use is the settings for the MPH on different roads... anyone know how that one works?

another is the maintenance/ service setup in the information log... i'd love to have all that stuff set up to link with the calender ... (i know i know i should read the manuel)

Last edited by Joneser; 04-04-07 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-04-07, 10:24 AM
rhsmd
Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I agree about the rear sun visor, especially after I got my tints in. However, I find it handy when some fool in one of those lifted trucks comes behinds me with headlamps glaring straight into my rear view mirror. I don't use the second cupholder in the armrest (seriously, this car has the worst cupholder placements ever) nor do I use Trac Off or the DVD function of the ML system (a pity, really, but I'm usually driving by myself; I could see myself using it with passengers during a roadtrip or something)

I actually find voice command to be quite handy when I'm on the freeway and don't want to use the extra hand and eyes to type everything out.

as an fyi, you can remove the cupholder from the armrest for a little more room.
Old 04-04-07, 10:51 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

the power outlet in the armrest console.......weaksauce........my front cig. lighter is used for my V1 and if i'm in desparate need ot charge my phone or laptop .....i gotta leave the armest console open during my drive.....
Old 04-04-07, 11:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Headlight washers. Great way to ruin a nice detail job.
Old 04-04-07, 11:50 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truoutkast
the power outlet in the armrest console.......weaksauce........my front cig. lighter is used for my V1 and if i'm in desparate need ot charge my phone or laptop .....i gotta leave the armest console open during my drive.....
get a right angled charger...they should have them for your cell phone and computer. I've found one for my Ipod, phone, and computer.
Old 04-04-07, 02:15 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Its weird but I dont use my bluetooth because I want to hear my music or news while Im on the phone. Second would have to be sunglasses holder, its just too small for any of my sunglasses.
i use my bluetooth but i wish u didnt have to come to a stop to transfer a call to the phone....bc sometimes the girls jsut dont stop talkin...lol....i dont see how it is a saftey feature....

Quick Reply: Features You Will Never Use