IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unhappy IS350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 06:18 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

There will always be the right car for a particular person. No car is perfect.

But what the IS has over it's competitors is inclusions, class and style (dollar for dollar)....be ready to pay alot more for the same level of luxury and performance in a BMW (if that's the way you're leaning towards).
Old 04-04-07, 06:40 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexudv
I agree with you ! I tried that and it helped a bit, but after a while that get's painful as well. Has anyone noticed that the two side pieces that hug you in the seat (Don't laught, I don't know what they're called!!) are not the same size. It looks like the driver's side is a little bit bigger than the right. The seat also seems to be a bit too high, which sometimes wont' let me see when the light turns green since the view is limited.

And for the other user that asked , No !!! you tend too not notice things when you're about to buy the car that you've been waiting to buy for a while. Come on man, you know how excited you were when you bought it !!
One side is bigger because of the airbag.
Old 04-04-07, 06:42 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexudv
I totally agree with the seating problem. I am 6.0' and I can't find a comfortable position. Every time I drive home I get a burning pain on my upper back. I thought it was just all the stress from work, but I have borrowed different cars (honda civic, toyota tundra) just to see if I get the same pain, but it only happens in the IS. I don't know what it is about the seat that causes this. Even though I disagree with the other problems I do agree with this.

I don't want to trade in this car
Originally Posted by jdIS350
First post here, but I've been lurking around for months.

Anyway, I've had my 2006 IS350 (red, luxury pkg) since August, and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the car, and doubt I will be getting another Lexus. Just for the info, the car I last had was a 1999 BMW 540i.

Anyway, my beefs:

1. After 10k miles, I still can't find a comfortable seating position. I'm 6'1", and the seat just doesn't fit me well. Feels like the steering wheel needs to come out a little further, and the seat should be a little lower. I prefer to look out the "middle" of the windshield, and when driving, I seem to be too high up, looking out the upper portion of the windshield (cuts off your view)

2. Stupid tire sensors. This point has been belabored in the past in other posts, so I won't go on at great length. Suffice it to say that I've been driving around since Dec. with the damn warning light on.

3. Horrible traction computer, especially in snow setting. Now I'm gonna compare against the BMW. The bimmer's computer was way more adaptive and intelligent. Not once in 6 years of owning the 540i did the traction let me down. Now with the IS, in the snow setting, when going through deep snow, the computer shuts down the revs so low (max 1000 rpm) that you can't get any forward momentum. I have to turn the trac off just to get going--which defeats the purpose of traction control.

4. Horrible low-beam headlight pattern. Too abrupt cutoff, actually dangerous when driving in the country--you can't see down the road. Highbeams are excellent. Again, BMW wins hands down, my old 540 had the best xenon low beams I have ever seen.

5. Poor low end torque. I guess there's no replacement for displacement. The bimmers 4.4L had less HP but way better low end grunt. I'm still not used to the higher revving, lower torque V6 in the IS--which I understand is typical of Japanese engines.

6. Voice commands--now I speak neutral-accent English, and the computer still misses alot of commands. Plus, (besides this forum) why doesn't Lexus publish a list of all the commands. Pointless to have this expensive gadget if I don't know all the functions.

7. Nav. Seen better units in Acura. Again, why the need to "hack" to be able to enter adressess while moving?

8. Stupid features--radio on, some stations display a message (track, artist, etc.) Naturally, Lexus instead displays a large message that it can't display the message while moving. (Department of redundancy department )

9. The extra delayed wipe when using the windshield washer. Basically smears my otherwise clean windshield. Can this be turned off?

10. Doors lock automatically when I press the key fob. I'm walking to my car, arms full of stuff, and hit the fob to open the door. Car decides to lock the doors again, because I'm not fast enough. I unlocked the f'in door, stay unlocked!!

11. Manual translated poorly. After selling cars for 40(?) years in N.Amer, you think Toyota would finally stop writing English that has been poorly translated from Japanese--hire someone here that speaks English.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna trade her in, and take the hit.

1. i dont know why people are having such problems with teh seats......im 6'2" and i have NO problems whatsoever.....the seats have the ability to move so far back and in any position...its so comfortable that I can sit there on long drives with no pain or problems
2. had no problems with the tire sensors…..did you even properly set the sensors correctly?
3. Umm the traction control has proven so useful to me…..even though I have a 250AWD, its traction control is amazing in the snow and helps it drive like a champ uphills or through rough weather….maybe it might different on RWD but still the traction control still should work
4. The lowbeams are so bright and have the most lumens…yeah it may need to be adjusted a little higher but gives you the most light of any HID’s
5. Not all computers are perfect…deal with voice commands not being recognized
6. Umm I can get the radio stations to display the message while driving…
7. Why even press the button on the fob…..its keyless entry so you don’t even have to take it out of your pocket….just go up the door and put your hand on the handle and the doors will unlock…and if you want all doors to unlock when you slide your hand on the handle, press and hold LOCK + UNLOCK until you hear a beep (discussed in earlier thread)...and alot of cars have an automatic lock function where if you dont open the door in a certain amount of time, the doors will lock.....its a safety feature at most
8. MANUAL NOT TRANSLATED CORRECTLY!?!..its perfect English how could you not understand it …..its common language anyone can read and understand no matter who they are

but yeah the choice is yours.....
Old 04-04-07, 06:45 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

wow. see ya.
Old 04-04-07, 07:41 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

I traded my BMW 325xi for my Lexus 250 AWD. I was tired of the expense and the inconvenience of things breaking on my Bimmer - window regulators one at a time for 3 service visits, new front brakes at the dealer for over $500 (and the rear brakes were almost ready to replace when I traded my bimmer at 37,000 miles), I had already replaced the tires.

What was better on my BMW? Heated seats and factory phone. HID lights.

What is better on my Lexus? interior, gas mileage, acceleration. and SERVICE!
Lexus was also slightly less expensive to purchase. And BMW resale was disappointing.

Will I get another BMW? very doubtful now that I have experienced Lexus service.
Old 04-04-07, 07:50 PM
evilpimper
Driver School Candidate

1. After 10k miles, I still can't find a comfortable seating position. I'm 6'1", and the seat just doesn't fit me well. Feels like the steering wheel needs to come out a little further, and the seat should be a little lower. I prefer to look out the "middle" of the windshield, and when driving, I seem to be too high up, looking out the upper portion of the windshield (cuts off your view)
well after hitting 1337 miles(thats right im leet ) lol. i still cant really find a comfortable seating, its either your legs that are uncomfortable and your arms feeling good or its your arms that have to stretch out because of the lengths of your legs.
all i do is have my hands at an optimal reach where i dont complain or have em on the bottom of the wheel and just let my left leg hang up bent knee.

3. Horrible traction computer, especially in snow setting. Now I'm gonna compare against the BMW. The bimmer's computer was way more adaptive and intelligent. Not once in 6 years of owning the 540i did the traction let me down. Now with the IS, in the snow setting, when going through deep snow, the computer shuts down the revs so low (max 1000 rpm) that you can't get any forward momentum. I have to turn the trac off just to get going--which defeats the purpose of traction control.
well ive spun out on less than 200 miles having the car and i have to say the snow feature actually helped me from hitting a gate and poll on the outbridge crossway expwy ext, it sort of help me counter steer right before hitting it. no scratch thanks to the snow feature but the fact that i spun out got me upset but we all know that we should not be racing our cars in rain or snow before we buy rwd cars )

4. Horrible low-beam headlight pattern. Too abrupt cutoff, actually dangerous when driving in the country--you can't see down the road. Highbeams are excellent. Again, BMW wins hands down, my old 540 had the best xenon low beams I have ever seen.
well ive had numerouse problems with these damn lights. alignment issues like crazy. i spent 2 hrs at the dealership on Saturday and 4 hrs today trying to align them once again. for some reason these lights love to aim to the sky and the guys at the dealer ship cant align for there life. (need HELP)

5. Poor low end torque. I guess there's no replacement for displacement. The bimmers 4.4L had less HP but way better low end grunt. I'm still not used to the higher revving, lower torque V6 in the IS--which I understand is typical of Japanese engines.
i dont know about you but this car defiantly has some crazy low end and high end tourqe. i love 0 to 60 in roughly 5 seconds on my is with the paddle shifter sport mode. first gear can get you from 0 to 25 - 30 in 2 seconds flat.
my poor baby is going to need a new tranny and engine by 08 09

6. Voice commands--now I speak neutral-accent English, and the computer still misses alot of commands. Plus, (besides this forum) why doesn't Lexus publish a list of all the commands. Pointless to have this expensive gadget if I don't know all the functions.
yea they suck, i end up screaming cancel and having all my friend join in

7. Nav. Seen better units in Acura. Again, why the need to "hack" to be able to enter adressess while moving?
well the navi has to be one of the best ive seen yet i wish i could somehow carputer it with there touch screen
Old 04-04-07, 07:53 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I recon BMW trannys are problematic, drove a fill recently and found a couple with gear slipperages.
Old 04-04-07, 09:34 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

yea, sorry for your bad experience with Lexus, but I think being a big fan of BMW, you are just looking for problems on other cars to justify the perfection of BMWs. Most of your problems could of been solved by the dealers or CL or would of been noticed from your test drive(s) and research before buying the car.

You cant really compare a 5 series to the IS since they are in different class. I'm sure GS owners going over to a 3 series would feel totally different too. I personally love most of the features you had problems with, esp the wiper and the tire sensor. As for the door relocking itself, I remember other car companies having the same feature, INCLUDING BMW!!!

Good luck with your next car.
Old 04-04-07, 10:52 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

First post here, but I've been lurking around for months.

Anyway, I've had my 2006 IS350 (red, luxury pkg) since August, and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the car, and doubt I will be getting another Lexus. Just for the info, the car I last had was a 1999 BMW 540i.

Anyway, my beefs:

10. Doors lock automatically when I press the key fob. I'm walking to my car, arms full of stuff, and hit the fob to open the door. Car decides to lock the doors again, because I'm not fast enough. I unlocked the f'in door, stay unlocked!!

Anyway, I think I'm gonna trade her in, and take the hit.

1. I'm about 6 feet tall, and everything in the IS, including the seats, feel like they were custom made for me.

But then, I'm a skinny Asian with a 130 lbs. rock star frame .

Maybe Lexus designed the IS with skinny Asians in mind ?

4. Low beam headlights can be adjusted with a simple technique covered in a thread here in CL.

10. You can have this auto-lock feature disabled at your local dealership for free.
Old 04-04-07, 11:30 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by igofast
you sohuld of caught these problems when you test drove the car. don't blame lexus for your needs.

You people who say he should have figured this out during the test drive aren't being even remotely sensible.

Tell me how was he supposed to figure out the following from a test drive:

-Tire sensors
-Traction control on snow
-Headlight beam pattern
-No published list of Nav voice commands
-Windshield wiper delay
-Auto-lock delay
-Poor translation of manual

What, he was supposed to drive around until the tire sensors went off on a day that snowed, and rained, at night, while shopping for groceries, and all while looking through every page of the user manual?

Give me an effin break.

He test drove the car, liked it enough to buy, liked it enough to go 10k miles in it, and has now decided that there are things he isn't happy with.

Don't pretend you tested EVERYTHING during your testdrive. It's impossible. Somethings take time before you're able to realize whether you like them or not.
Old 04-04-07, 11:42 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

I kind of know what you are going through. I drove a Corvette for 7 years and decided I needed something more practical. I sold the Vette and bought an RX 330. I hated it! Nothing wrong with it, it was just not fun after the Corvette. At 3000 miles I sold the RX and bought the IS 350. It fits in between the two. More practical but still with more room and a "fun factor" I hated the RX, love the IS and yet they were both Lexus.

Drive what you enjoy, life is too short. Go get that new BMW!

Aloha
Old 04-04-07, 11:58 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks for visiting clublexus. the exit back to the bmw forums is ->. don't forget to take your personal belongings with you on your way out.

just kidding.

maybe you should've stuck w/ another v8-powered bavarian sedan? if it the 2is pains you that much, it might not be the car for you. some have come to love it, some haven't. to each, his own.
Old 04-05-07, 02:32 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

lol.. you create an account with 1 post just to bash on the IS.. you really should've taken a longer and thoughtful test drive before you bought the car.. i know you have your own opinion, but good luck on the BMW problems which will be way more than you have than the Lexus..
Old 04-05-07, 02:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can'y always tell everything from a test drive unless dealerships let you take test the car out of weeks or months even. Sometimes you have to live with seomthing everyday to determine whether it is right for you after all. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The automotive industtry has never created a perfect car. The company that does that will have a monopoly on car sales as everyone will buy that car since it is perfect

Anyway, good luck with whatever car you decide to get after the IS. There are so many good cars out there that I'm sure you will find something that is more to your liking.
Old 04-05-07, 04:26 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

-You know you can adjust the headlight upward.

-Snow mode is horrid with summer tires

Quick Reply: Unhappy IS350 owner