IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unhappy IS350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 07:07 AM
BlueBerry3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iskcon
1. i dont know why people are having such problems with teh seats......im 6'2" and i have NO problems whatsoever.....the seats have the ability to move so far back and in any position...its so comfortable that I can sit there on long drives with no pain or problems
Hi iskcon,

I was wondering wether or not you took the sunroof option in your IS ?

I have it. The IS I took from the dealer for a try hadn't. I then discovered with mine that I had troubles with getting seated as I always used to. I mean with the back of the seat quite vertical.

It's no more possible for me in the IS because the sunroof takes too much place over my head, and it's quite often my hair touches the roof.

So I too have problem with this...

Last edited by BlueBerry3; 04-05-07 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 07:43 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow- a lot of people took a lot of time to respond to an obvious troll-

but as long as we are all here-

whats everyone having for lunch today?

Im thinking Pizza
Old 04-05-07, 07:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
You people who say he should have figured this out during the test drive aren't being even remotely sensible.

Tell me how was he supposed to figure out the following from a test drive:

-Tire sensors
-Traction control on snow
-Headlight beam pattern
-No published list of Nav voice commands
-Windshield wiper delay
-Auto-lock delay
-Poor translation of manual

What, he was supposed to drive around until the tire sensors went off on a day that snowed, and rained, at night, while shopping for groceries, and all while looking through every page of the user manual?

Give me an effin break.

He test drove the car, liked it enough to buy, liked it enough to go 10k miles in it, and has now decided that there are things he isn't happy with.

Don't pretend you tested EVERYTHING during your testdrive. It's impossible. Somethings take time before you're able to realize whether you like them or not.
You are so right. That's why my post only adressed the comfort of the car...something you can judge while testing.
Old 04-05-07, 08:26 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Sounds to me like some people cant understand common sense..lol. u went from a 5 series to a IS350..its two totally different class...

for some reason i feel like this guy is actually from the bmw forum but just wanted to join to post and hate on us lexus owners lol...and he really doesnt own a IS350...u think the torque is bad ? gotta be kidding me
Old 04-05-07, 09:26 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
Sounds to me like some people cant understand common sense..lol. u went from a 5 series to a IS350..its two totally different class...

for some reason i feel like this guy is actually from the bmw forum but just wanted to join to post and hate on us lexus owners lol...and he really doesnt own a IS350...u think the torque is bad ? gotta be kidding me
what are you talking about? Sounds to me like he's just fine, and that maybe your the one who doesnt have common sense. He's addressing valid points that are the concern of many who own an IS, and is just letting us know that this car has a few shortcomings. Although the IS and the 5 series are in two different classes, it is unacceptable for a 40k+ car to have problems such as these. He's bringing up valid points, so don't go critisizing him about being a BMW owner who has nothing better to do.
Old 04-05-07, 09:38 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

While I don’t have the problems you have there’s a few annoyances that I have that match.

1) Head lights. I rarely drive at night and mine are way to low (as compared to say my S2000). I recently found info here to raise them and Ill give it a shot. The problem is that as you raise projection HID, they start flashing drivers. When I got my first S2000 in 1999 they were rare and I used to actually have people pull over in front of me because they thought I was a cop as the HId flashed their mirror (rougher roads because headlights to pop up). It was ALWAYS the case that on back roads, cars would flash me all night long thinking I had brights on.

2) Voice commands: I tried once and never tired again.

Few notes:

Traction control. Best I have ever seen. Beats the hell out of my old Acura TL Type S.

6" here and no problem with seat positions.
Old 04-05-07, 10:05 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

The whole living in the country thing baffles me as..

Well I live in the sticks and personally don't have that issue. I love AFS it is super and helps alot! Maybe you should have got the beams adjusted. = /

However, I am taller for a girl. 5'9 and at times I have problems finding proper seating. One time I moved my seat and suffered with a neck cramp for a week. = / It was not comfortable, but I got it back to its standard position.. much better.
Old 04-05-07, 10:17 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is250rulez
If the seat bothers u that much? Why would u get an IS? why not GS at the first place? SOrry to say this but can u really tell by eye looking that IS is pretty small from the inside? Once again it is the mind momentum, because u were sitting in a not comfort seat, and as human, once u are not comfortable to sit in the car then you will not like anything at all. It is really your MIND PROCESSOR, man.
just my 2 cents !
Exactly! Anyone who is 6 feet tall shouldnt buy a car built on probably the corolla chassis than then complain that dont fit in it! Duh!
Old 04-05-07, 10:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

^^

Actually from what I understand the IS and GS share the same frame, and is not shared within the Toyota line up -- making it not a corolla or camry.
Old 04-05-07, 10:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Exactly! Anyone who is 6 feet tall shouldnt buy a car built on probably the corolla chassis than then complain that dont fit in it! Duh!
yeah well, I was hoping that I am going to grow shorter.

I love the car and I can't resist it. You know, one of those impulse buy.
Old 04-05-07, 10:20 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
6" here and no problem with seat positions.
Hmmmm... 6". What is it you're measuring?
Old 04-05-07, 11:40 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Why would you buy and IS 350 for the snow??? That is what an FJ crusier is for. And you cant find a the right seat postion beacause your 6'1, i am 6'3 and my seat postion is great not so great for the people behind me but steering wheel adjust(ML) and seats sits low as well..
Old 04-05-07, 11:51 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

I'm a big european car fan and a former owner of an E36 M3, Audi A4, still have the E38 740i. I love all these cars very much and still miss my E36 M3 >_<" When it comes to "fun-to-drive" factor, nothing came close to my BMW's before owning my 2006 IS350 with Sport Package and ML. My last car was a 2002 IS300 5sp, I had it for 2 years and was very disappointed with the car... At around 40K miles, I felt the manual transmission harder to get into 3rd gear than the rest, took it back to the dealer and explained to them what I experienced, they ordered me a brand new transmission, no question asked even though they could not duplicate the problem. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK? At around 51k miles, right before I decided to get a new car, my CD changer broke, but my car just exceeded 50K miles! Again I took it back to the dealer and I told them the CD changer had been acting weird before the warranty expired (which is true), they looked at my service record and replaced it FOR FREE under "Good Will"!! This is how much Lexus cares about their customer!! BMW and Audi didn't even come close to it!

Once my crank shaft sensor on my 740i broke, it took the dealer 2 days to tell me the fuel pump relay is bad, charged me almost $400 for diagnosis and the $10 part, but car still stalled on the way home from dealership, RIP OFF!! Brought the car back again and finally found the right problem, this time they wanted to charge me another $300!! I refused and had a negotiation with the manager, still ended up paying another $180 or so....

Finally made up my mind to get a new car, went to BMW dealer for many times to look at the 335i coupe, loved the car's lag-free twin-turbocharged motor and decided to purchase one, but it was going to take 3 months to order. Powered by my curiosity, I went to the Lexus dealership just to check out the IS350. I fell in love with the car's interior immediately and amazed by how much its performance in every spec has been improved over my 2002 IS300. Although I loved the 335i coupe so much but everyone in my family was against of me buying another Bimmer, they saw how much I had struggled with their reliability issue. Here it is.... MY 2ND LEXUS IS !!

I've already had the car for almost 5 months, never had any problem with it and I love every thoughtful features including the self-locking alarm, AFS, tire pressure sensor... and so on, please keep in mind that some of these features are not even available on the new 5-series, not to talk about the frikin' i-Drive everyone is complaining about. I know that I will keep this car for a long time even after the warranty expired, because I know Lexus will take good care of my car. I'm still thinking about buying another Bimmer for its fun-to-drive factor, but won't use it as my daily driver since it breaks so easily....
Old 04-05-07, 12:27 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Question

Am I the only one who is suspicious of someone who just joined CL even though he has a 2006 IS and his very first post is trashing his IS while lauding BMW? Is there something else going on here?
Old 04-05-07, 12:31 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I think the problem is yours. You need to find out all the thing that you need to know about the car that you want to buy before you purchase the car. You can't compare 5 series to the is...Try to compare the 3 series to is...It'll come out the same...Good luck on the next purchase.....

Quick Reply: Unhappy IS350 owner