IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thoughts on IS250 awd / Audi A4 2.0T quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 09:47 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on IS250 awd / Audi A4 2.0T quattro

I'm looking at purchasing a new/slightly used car and unless if I can find a decent priced IS350, it's going to be between the IS250 AWD and Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

What are your opinions on the 2? The IS has heated/ventilated seats whereas the A4 is only heated. The interior on the IS is much better (IMHO). Performance and gas mileage seem to favor the A4. Aftermarket also seems to favor the A4 (nothing for IS suspension and the A4 can be chipped). I prefer the IS250 look but the A4 isn't bad. I'm not to familiar on reliability between the two, but I think the IS is more reliable (my bro has an S4... not the most reliable)... I'm completely unsure about the new 2.0T

What do you all think?

Last edited by hellasboy; 04-05-07 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added reliability question
Old 04-05-07, 10:19 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hellasboy
I'm looking at purchasing a new/slightly used car and unless if I can find a decent priced IS350, it's going to be between the IS250 AWD and Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

What are your opinions on the 2? The IS has heated/ventilated seats whereas the A4 is only heated. The interior on the IS is much better (IMHO). Performance and gas mileage seem to favor the A4. Aftermarket also seems to favor the A4 (nothing for IS suspension and the A4 can be chipped). I prefer the IS250 look but the A4 isn't bad. I'm not to familiar on reliability between the two, but I think the IS is more reliable (my bro has an S4... not the most reliable)... I'm completely unsure about the new 2.0T

What do you all think?

I recently gave my old 2003 1.8T Quattro to my parents, but atleast it's still in the family and I get to drive it once in a while.

Audi
- Absolutely the best AWD money can buy. I had a inexpensive set of Kumho KW-11 winter tires and with those on, i was able to control the car with ease. Slides in the snow/ice were predictable and it cut through everything without the backend flying around. (probably due to 50/50 split power distribution)
- A lot of light problems. I've had to replace all sorts of bulbs such as right turn signal, rear right light, rear left light... you name it it's come on! The worse thing is that it goes off and on, so i got to take it to the dealer and hopefully it's not working when i get there.
- Great warranty, they cover everything for the first 4 years. When I mean everything, I mean everything. I complain my wipers aren't wiping properly, so the replace it.
- Styling was nice, interior could use some serious help.
- no rattling or squeaking.
- Car handles very neutral.
- I also had my car chipped with APR.
- Loud engine (since it's a 4)
- seats are hard like a rock! I had the premium edition, so it comes with leather.

IS250AWD
- AWD system is what i expected, since we have a RX330. Very similar, slides are not as predictable as the audi. I get a little nervous even when running better winter tires. Toyo Garits something something, with the walnut chips in them.
- Very smooth delivery of power, enough that i'm more happy with the less engine noise even though the IS is a tad slower.
- The Leather seat is like no other. Probalby the most comfortable seat on all the Luxury Sport compacts.
- Styling is top notch exterior and interior
- Car handles like a RWD (70/30), but a lot less feedback then the audi. I actually like this better.
- My car squeaks and rattles. It comes from everywhere. It actually annoys me a lot.

I'm happier with my Lexus then i was with my Audi. Just because I love the styling so much. I base most of my opinion on how the car looks, and that's what i bought it for. Everything else the Lexus does better then the Audi is a benefit. Everthing I think is worse, well did I tell you how much I like the styling?

Last edited by r1lee; 04-05-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 10:45 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

What year is the Audi, will it be used or new?
Old 04-06-07, 01:19 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking at '06 A4 2.9 Quattros (B7, the one with the huge grill up front), used at around 10k miles. Similar to the IS250 AWD models I've been looking at.
Old 04-06-07, 01:20 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

For the look I will go for IS for sure, when I was thinking to get a new Car I do run into BMW AUDI and other similar class car... I choose IS just because the look of it is so good... IMO
Old 04-06-07, 01:39 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

have you driven both of them? you are gonna get a very biased reply from most people here.
Old 04-06-07, 02:26 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Audi A4s are extremely boring to look at and drive imo. Definately doesnt have anyting that can rival the IS.
Old 04-06-07, 06:53 AM
mark5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove both, A4 was a little more fun to drive, IS more comfortable. if i was planning on modding it i'd go for the A4, bone stock IS
Old 04-06-07, 10:02 AM
neova
Pole Position

The question is are you looking at the auto or manual? Also have you considered the E92 328xi or 325xi's They're both comparable with the IS and A4.

If you don't mind driving the auto, then go for IS. Reliability-wise it beats the A4 and 3-er, especially if you're buying used and factory warranty running out soon. It's been said many time that german cars are more fun to drive/own, but only up till the warranty. Beyond that you're going to pay like crazy for out-of-pocket maintenance/repairs.
Old 04-06-07, 01:23 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. I test drove the IS250 today and wow, I had a smile on my face while driving the IS250. Last time that happened, I was driving my old SC400. It wasn't because of the performance (It's ok... but I test drove a C32 and that car hauled, but interior sucked) but it felt so comfortable inside. I really think that the A4 reliability factor is scaring me away from it (my bros S4 and friend's A4 were both money pits, both turbo models). If I can't find a good priced 350, I think I'm going to go with the 250 awd.

I like the exterior of the new 3-series, but it's even more expensive than the 250 for what it offers. The interior is improved but not to my liking.

mod-wise, I only plan on some type of suspension setup, wheels, and bigger brakes on whichever car I get (brakes are fine on the 350). Nothing major.

edit: i'm looking at the auto
Old 04-06-07, 01:28 PM
mark5
Rookie

i'd go with the IS then
Old 04-06-07, 01:44 PM
donm3ga
Rookie

Do not buy Euro-Trash.
Old 04-06-07, 03:57 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by donm3ga
Do not buy Euro-Trash.
Car Enthusiast > Brand Snob. I prefer the looks/handling of the Audi. The ride in the Lexus is nicer and the car feels more luxurious however the IS250 really isn't that fun to drive IMO. The steering feedback is awful and there's nothing confidence inspiring about driving my GF's IS250. However, it is still a nice car to cruise in.
Old 04-06-07, 05:17 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

get the A4..youll be happier in the end. Since your looking at AWD, handling is clearly important to you. The IS250 AWD is way to soft and mushy for most. The A4 is very classy, and a joy to drive.
Old 04-06-07, 06:30 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the IS250AWD if you have ne doubts at all about the reliablity of the Audi, because you will definitly run into some trouble with the audi eventually!!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on IS250 awd / Audi A4 2.0T quattro