IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MY 350 is getting slower now :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 10:29 AM
XIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornellian
Check your intake manifold and/or intake as well as air filters.... Breath better live better!

I agree...and check if they put the right oil on your car the last time you changed it, if the oil is too thick you can loose performance.
Old 04-08-07, 12:57 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by XIS350
I agree...and check if they put the right oil on your car the last time you changed it, if the oil is too thick you can loose performance.
Another good reason to run 0w-20!

Koz
Old 04-08-07, 02:18 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No I wouldn't agree with that at all. The CVT would need to keep the engine at peak hp, not peak torque. Covering distance is work, not force. But again, I don't believe it would be MUCH higher. However, I have no doubt it would be the quickest possible set up.

Wait - next you're going to tell me you shift at hp peak... Please don't go there...
I'm hesitant to post this since it is a bit off topic, but peak accelleration absolutely happens at peak torque, not HP. I didn't realize this until I plotted my own rate of accelleration chart using speed, distance, and time data that I captured in my car at full throttle from 3K rpms to redline. I was amazed to see that the accelleration plot looks exactly like my torque plot. After thinking about the Physics of it for a bit (F=MA), it made sence. Mass is constant, torque is the force, so the higher the torque, the greater the accelleration.

Regarding shift points, I don't believe in shifting at peak HP at all. I believe in staying in the lowest gear I can until fuel cut.
Old 04-08-07, 02:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The only reason why I would consider resetting the ECU is to clear out anything that the ECU "remembers" that might be causing it to pull timing or run unnecessarily rich. For instance, if you got a marginal batch of gas that caused a bit of detonation while sitting in stop and go traffic, the ECU will adjust it's timing and fuel maps even more conservatively to prevent damage. Who knows how long it would take for that condition to clear on its own? I would expect the ECU to recover from that VERY slowly.
Old 04-08-07, 06:55 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm hesitant to post this since it is a bit off topic, but peak accelleration absolutely happens at peak torque, not HP. I didn't realize this until I plotted my own rate of accelleration chart using speed, distance, and time data that I captured in my car at full throttle from 3K rpms to redline. I was amazed to see that the accelleration plot looks exactly like my torque plot. After thinking about the Physics of it for a bit (F=MA), it made sence. Mass is constant, torque is the force, so the higher the torque, the greater the accelleration.

Regarding shift points, I don't believe in shifting at peak HP at all. I believe in staying in the lowest gear I can until fuel cut.
I thought you might appreciate a very famous quote in the muscle car world-

"Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races"
- Carroll Shelby

basically you are right on-
Old 04-08-07, 07:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Sure. That's undoubtedly why F1 cars accelerate so hard. Lots of torque.

You might want to read this to get why engine HP is more important than engine torque.
Old 04-08-07, 09:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sure. That's undoubtedly why F1 cars accelerate so hard. Lots of torque.

You might want to read this to get why engine HP is more important than engine torque.
F1 cars accelerate so hard because their torque is maintained to almost 20K RPMs and can take advantage of those low gears for a long time, and they are uber-lite weight.

From the article you posted ...

First of all, from a driver's perspective, torque, to use the vernacular, RULES :-). Any given car, in any given gear, will accelerate at a rate that *exactly* matches its torque curve (allowing for increased air and rolling resistance as speeds climb). Another way of saying this is that a car will accelerate hardest at its torque peak in any given gear, and will not accelerate as hard below that peak, or above it. Torque is the only thing that a driver feels, and horsepower is just sort of an esoteric measurement in that context. 300 foot pounds of torque will accelerate you just as hard at 2000 rpm as it would if you were making that torque at 4000 rpm in the same gear, yet, per the formula, the horsepower would be *double* at 4000 rpm. Therefore, horsepower isn't particularly meaningful from a driver's perspective, and the two numbers only get friendly at 5252 rpm, where horsepower and torque always come out the same.

Last edited by Gernby; 04-08-07 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 10:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Right. Which would you rather do, cover ground, or feel pushed back in the seat? I'll take covering ground every time, even if it doesn't feel as good.

IOW, the driver loves to feel the push back in the seat from torque providing acceleration, but I need the engine to do work, not feel good. Doing work is what the whole game is about. If it were not so, we'd build engines to make peak torque at the highest possible rpm, but we don't. We build for best torque over the operating range. Ideally this means the force the driver feels remains the same from the lowest usable rpm to the highest, but it isn't always so.

Click here for more.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-08-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 12:47 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you happen to gain some weight?
Old 04-09-07, 08:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I must humbly conceed that lobuxracer is correct about a CVT needing to maintain the engine RPM at peak HP instead of peak torque for maximum accelleration ...

It wasn't until I plotted an accelleration chart comparing the stock IS350 to an ideal CVT that I could see that the benefit of higher RPMs outweighed the benefit of higher torque due to the gearing advantage (higher resulting thrust).

I still believe that a well implemented CVT would make a big difference in trap speed and time due to the significant increase in area under the curve.
Attached Thumbnails MY 350 is getting slower now :(-is350-accel-plot-5.jpg  

Last edited by Gernby; 04-09-07 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 08:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

This is what it looked like if the CVT maintained peak torque.
Attached Thumbnails MY 350 is getting slower now :(-is350-accel-plot-6.jpg  
Old 04-09-07, 08:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Back in my E36 M3 days we had a similar discussion about shift points. Always shift to maximize transmission output torque. Never shift at torque peak. You will lose the overall higher torque of the current gear and it will also put you in a worse spot in the next gear. Alot of lower tq/higher hp cars get their best times by shifting at redline, but not true for every car. Basically it's best to look at a dyno graphs and take the data like Gernby did and see where the best point is. Luckily for us the Auto tranny takes care of this as best as it can without it being a CVT type, which would be optimum. Just wish current CVT technology could hold the power the IS350 produces. Then again, doesn't the new Maxima have a CVT?
Old 04-09-07, 12:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gernby
I must humbly conceed that lobuxracer is correct about a CVT needing to maintain the engine RPM at peak HP instead of peak torque for maximum accelleration ...

It wasn't until I plotted an accelleration chart comparing the stock IS350 to an ideal CVT that I could see that the benefit of higher RPMs outweighed the benefit of higher torque due to the gearing advantage (higher resulting thrust).

I still believe that a well implemented CVT would make a big difference in trap speed and time due to the significant increase in area under the curve.
Nice chart! You should be able to prove your point with it. I completely understand why you believe the better gearbox should generate a higher speed over a given distance, and seeing the gaps where gear changes happen it's obvious the CVT maintains higher acceleration over the course. Isn't the answer a simple integral away?

The only reason I maintain the speed doesn't change is because I haven't seen it happen in the real world. Your CVT gearbox would completely overwhelm any streetable tire with the force it could apply at low speed. This might be the real world reason why lower gears make better ET but not better trap speeds. The mathematical model sure looks like the CVT would win hands down.

A lot of this stuff is counterintuitive. I only know it because I've had these same discussions with people before and had it proved to me (sometimes painfully) in clear, unambiguous terms. I get into lots of "discussions" about airflow where people want me to believe things I know are not true only because they're quite counterintuitive.
Old 04-09-07, 07:05 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Trap Speed and Density Altitude

Just put together a journal of type to compare a few runs I made. Sure enough I found a predicted trend. Higher trap speeds correlate directly with higher Density Altitudes.

I used the following to calculate Density Altitude:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

This site to get weather history information:
http://www.wunderground.com/

Last edited by caymandive; 04-09-07 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 07:35 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were going into a 9 mph quartering headwind on the last run, right?

Quick Reply: MY 350 is getting slower now :(