IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MY 350 is getting slower now :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 07:42 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford
You were going into a 9 mph quartering headwind on the last run, right?
Yup. I think each time I hit the drag strip I'll update my journal just to see what else I start noticing. This might be of use to others hitting the track as well.
Old 04-09-07, 07:50 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live at 3300 ft.semi-arid. I'd love a day with less than 5000ft. DA it's usually around 5500 or more !
Old 04-09-07, 07:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

That would make sense.
Old 04-09-07, 09:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nice chart! You should be able to prove your point with it. I completely understand why you believe the better gearbox should generate a higher speed over a given distance, and seeing the gaps where gear changes happen it's obvious the CVT maintains higher acceleration over the course. Isn't the answer a simple integral away?

The only reason I maintain the speed doesn't change is because I haven't seen it happen in the real world. Your CVT gearbox would completely overwhelm any streetable tire with the force it could apply at low speed. This might be the real world reason why lower gears make better ET but not better trap speeds. The mathematical model sure looks like the CVT would win hands down.

A lot of this stuff is counterintuitive. I only know it because I've had these same discussions with people before and had it proved to me (sometimes painfully) in clear, unambiguous terms. I get into lots of "discussions" about airflow where people want me to believe things I know are not true only because they're quite counterintuitive.
Thanks. The chart actually started from an Excel spreadsheet you sent to me. I just combined it with the averages of all my dyno results to come up with a thrust plot by MPH (interpolated below 3500 RPMS). Below is the plot of all four of the "lines" that I've been interested in (stock, super-low-pro-drag-tires, CVT at peak torque, CVT at peak HP).

I wouldn't have a clue how to do a "simple integral" using an Excel spreadsheet other than to create a stair-step calculation to add up the area of all the steps for each single MPH. It wouldn't be hard to do, but I don't know how the results would be significant, since the units would be "MPH-LBS".

My thoughts about the CVT overwhelming the tires at low speeds are that the "ideal" CVT ECU would have an intelligent or controllable "max thrust". For example, if the tires couldn't handle 3600 lbs of thrust without breaking loose, then the CVT would maintain a gear ratio and RPM that would not exceed that.
Attached Thumbnails MY 350 is getting slower now :(-is350-accel-plot-7.jpg  
Old 04-09-07, 10:21 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Okay, so I did the "easy" integral on the thrust curves above to see what the area under the curves would be. I also capped the peak thrust for the CVT curves to 4000 lbs, since I doubt any streetable tire would hold more than that.

Stock gearing and tires = 208,235 MPH-LBS
Stock gearing and super-low-pro-tires = 214,179 MPH-LBS (2.9% increase)
CVT at peak torque = 224,312 MPH-LBS (7.7% increase)
CVT at peak hp = 252,412 MPH-LBS (21.2% increase)
Old 04-09-07, 10:25 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

gernby, you want to hit ennis one more time before it gets too hot? I am thinking about going out there this next weekend.
Old 04-10-07, 12:44 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I can deff notice, that when the Air is cold and Thin, the car seems to be alot faster!!!
Old 04-10-07, 06:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
gernby, you want to hit ennis one more time before it gets too hot? I am thinking about going out there this next weekend.
I'll think about it. I don't have anything new to test. It's also boat season again...
Old 04-10-07, 02:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Okay, so I did the "easy" integral on the thrust curves above to see what the area under the curves would be. I also capped the peak thrust for the CVT curves to 4000 lbs, since I doubt any streetable tire would hold more than that.

Stock gearing and tires = 208,235 MPH-LBS
Stock gearing and super-low-pro-tires = 214,179 MPH-LBS (2.9% increase)
CVT at peak torque = 224,312 MPH-LBS (7.7% increase)
CVT at peak hp = 252,412 MPH-LBS (21.2% increase)
The integral of force and velocity isn't MPH-LBS. Your chart shows rate of acceleration at a given velocity. You want to find velocity WRT distance. Scratch your head for a minute and it will come to you, I'm certain of it.

D=Vo*t+1/2at^2
V=Vo+at...etc...
Old 04-10-07, 02:51 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The integral of force and velocity isn't MPH-LBS. Your chart shows rate of acceleration at a given velocity. You want to find velocity WRT distance. Scratch your head for a minute and it will come to you, I'm certain of it.

D=Vo*t+1/2at^2
V=Vo+at...etc...
I'm not feeling it. I took tons of Calculus in college, and worked hard to forget it all (chemically assisted).
Old 04-10-07, 03:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Okay... I did the calculations again to figure out approximate trap speeds at .25 miles. Who knows how accurate they are since I had to fudge the vehicle weight to come anywhere close to realistic speeds. Basically, I'm not taking wind resistance into account, so I had to increase the vehicle weight to 5000 lbs to come up with a 105.X MPH trap speed with stock gearing. Similarly, the CVT running at peak HP came up with a 109.X MPH trap.
Old 04-10-07, 03:50 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Sorry to keep going on about this, but the CVT "model" shows a full second reduction in 1/4 mile time...
Old 04-10-07, 04:29 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
Just put together a journal of type to compare a few runs I made. Sure enough I found a predicted trend. Higher trap speeds correlate directly with higher Density Altitudes.

I used the following to calculate Density Altitude:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

This site to get weather history information:
http://www.wunderground.com/

Nice Info on all your runs. Now I don't feel like my car is a total slug. My density altitudes put me around 2000-2500 ft. 85 degrees was the coldest temp I ran in, with high humidity. My local drag strip was closed during the few cold fronts we had this year. I did notice during those cold periods, {temps in the low 40's}, my butt dyno was registering an extra 20 hp:} Felt like I had a free supercharger for a few days there.

Last edited by GOBUCS; 04-10-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 02:46 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just got my 3rd Blackstone UOA results for another sample, and something occurred to me about break-in. For you guys that pooh-pooh the idea that engines need to break in for a few thousand miles before they reach their full power potention ... why do so many UOAs during the 1st ~15K miles show such high levels of metal (iron, copper, aluminum, etc.)? I can't think of any reason other than they are products of high friction levels between the moving engine components, and as they "wear in", the friction decreases, and their levels in the UOAs drop off. I would expect power to increase at the same time.

My aluminum and iron are still above average at 13K, but my copper has finally fallen below average. Of course, I did a 3K OCI that time with Mobil 1 10W-30. For the 1st 2 oil changes I went 5K miles.

Last edited by Gernby; 04-11-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 02:53 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I just got my 3rd Blackstone UOA results for another sample, and something occurred to me about break-in. For you guys that pooh-pooh the idea that engines need to break in for a few thousand miles before they reach their full power potention ... why do so many UOAs during the 1st ~15K miles show such high levels of metal (iron, copper, aluminum, etc.)? I can't think of any reason other than they are products of high friction levels between the moving engine components, and as they "wear in", the friction decreases, and their levels in the UOAs drop off. I would expect power to increase as at the same time.

My aluminum and iron are still above average at 13K, but my copper has finally fallen below average. Of course, I did a 3K OCI that time with Mobil 1 10W-30. For the 1st 2 oil changes I went 5K miles.
So how did you break in your car Gernby? I drove mine fairly hard the first day I got it. Of course not going out and beating on it, but varying the rpms and engine load throughout the full rpm band. I assumed that by doing it this way, things would all break in more evenly. Just my .02

BTW..How many miles do you have currently? I'm at 20.5k.

Quick Reply: MY 350 is getting slower now :(