IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECU Computer Reset Today at 5K Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

It's learning gear selection patterns. If you're light on the gas, it will default to finding the highest gear as quickly as possible. If you drive harder, it will hold in gear longer for better acceleration. You can do the same thing by hitting the ECT power switch for those times when you want it to be more aggressive.

The engine will self tune in a matter of minutes, so pulling the fuses really does nothing to change the engine tune for any length of time. It really only affects the transmission.
Old 04-09-07, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Pwyll
I'm glad to see this has been successful for some of you guys.

Question. I understand that if you disconnect the negative to the battery, the radion presets will be wiped. What about other presets such as seats, etc. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE NAVIGATION SETTINGS??

Anybody know?

Thanks
Yes. Your nav will be reset as well (at least mine was when I removed power to it.) I was mighty unhappy about that.
Old 04-09-07, 08:12 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwyll
I'm glad to see this has been successful for some of you guys.

Question. I understand that if you disconnect the negative to the battery, the radion presets will be wiped. What about other presets such as seats, etc. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE NAVIGATION SETTINGS??

Anybody know?

Thanks
I know for a fact if you remove the positive end from the battery, you won't lose radio presets. Seats are easy..just make sure the seats are where you want them so it's an easy set again. Navigation..i'll have to look into that one, but I have a feeling that since the radio presets were still there, that the Nav settings are also still there.

Lobux..you said you lost your Nav? Now I'm wondering if there is a difference to removing positive or negative from the battery to do a reset.
Old 04-09-07, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The fuse is on the positive side. I pulled the TV1 fuse to intentionally reset my nav. It killed everything. Same as if I'd pulled the battery cable. I'd test it but I don't want to lose all my nav data. I could test this just before I leave for Atlanta though since all the California data will be useless there. That won't be for another month though.

Stuff I lost by disconnecting power - seat position and key fob affinity, seat position, nav data, window position (had to re-initialise the windows.) None of this was from disconnecting the battery, it was from disconnecting various parts for other reasons. Oh, yeah, I did reset the ECM once because I disconnected it and pulled it out to see if I could identify the processors in it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-09-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 10:36 PM
cre8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lobuxracer...
Old 05-19-07, 11:29 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Im going to have to try this now! Its been about 2K miles and Ill admit I was really babying it the first 1k... now I drive her like shes mine!
Old 05-19-07, 11:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

This is a trick we have been doing for a while in the RX300 forum and involves pulling a single EFI fuse or the negative battery cables. Resets CELs temporarily, unless something really is wrong. I find that that pulling both cables has a better effect and it needs to be more than a minutes as sometimes there is some juice left in the system/capacitors.
Old 07-23-07, 08:29 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

does this trick also delete the cel codes from the ecu memory, or is it still stored inside?
Old 07-23-07, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Not necessarily. You really need an OBDII scanner to reset the DTCs reliably.
Old 07-23-07, 09:11 PM
andoy
Driver

Will resetting the ECU be beneficial for 6MT owners?
Old 08-26-07, 09:24 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Can anyone tell me if I need to disconnect the negative to install HIDs in my fogs?? Or Change out the OEM HID headlight bulbs??
Old 08-26-07, 10:09 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

No just turn off the car and you should be fine.
Old 08-26-07, 11:48 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

i disconnected my battery(negative first) and i'll be back home on wednesday,i'll let you know what exact settings has been erased.
Old 09-02-07, 06:55 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Thanks for the information, again CL is a good source when your in a bind because of the members here. Had to reset my ECU when i got a check engine/VSC error after my fujita intake got installed. Anyhow, my question is i noticed that a few things were reset such as avg gas mileage and the seatbelt alarm, but how about the settings for the car that the dealer does for you on your first service? i.e. the lighting level for your automatic headlights which i had asked to be set at level 2, are they reset back to default now too?
Old 09-03-07, 08:55 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just tried this just now. That's for the head's up on it not starting the first time around. I'm sure that would have freaked me out if I didn't know!!

Quick Reply: ECU Computer Reset Today at 5K Service