IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECU Computer Reset Today at 5K Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 02:56 AM
Migeru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would ECU RESET Fix Slow Acceleration??

This happened a couple months back. One night, as I was about to go home, I saw that it was raining quite heavily so I started the car then I had this brilliant idea to do some skids in the rain and since it was wet I thought it wouldn't put too much strain on the car since there's less grip so I shifted to first gear (Yes, its a Manual!) and stepped on it whipping the tail out, not knowing I had forgotten to turn off traction control I kept pushing it until the car gained traction again. After this "incident" I noticed that when floored the gas pedal the response of the throttle was weaker than usual, there's a slight delay when I accelerate. I'm not sure if its mechanical or the ECU, so I tried resetting the ECU by removing the battery, as well as removing the fuses for more than a minute. It still drives slower. Also when I floored it it was quite cold as well I'm not sure if this is a factor to the problem. Has anyone had this problem?? Please Help, I want to get it back to fast acceleration. Just to add I don't think the car is on "Limp Mode" as well. Its an 06 Lexus Is 250 Manual.
Old 01-02-19, 10:53 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Migeru
This happened a couple months back. One night, as I was about to go home, I saw that it was raining quite heavily so I started the car then I had this brilliant idea to do some skids in the rain and since it was wet I thought it wouldn't put too much strain on the car since there's less grip so I shifted to first gear (Yes, its a Manual!) and stepped on it whipping the tail out, not knowing I had forgotten to turn off traction control I kept pushing it until the car gained traction again. After this "incident" I noticed that when floored the gas pedal the response of the throttle was weaker than usual, there's a slight delay when I accelerate. I'm not sure if its mechanical or the ECU, so I tried resetting the ECU by removing the battery, as well as removing the fuses for more than a minute. It still drives slower. Also when I floored it it was quite cold as well I'm not sure if this is a factor to the problem. Has anyone had this problem?? Please Help, I want to get it back to fast acceleration. Just to add I don't think the car is on "Limp Mode" as well. Its an 06 Lexus Is 250 Manual.
I would say you dumped the clutch, over reved to redline? If it's slipping now then that's probably your delay. The clutch is a wear, and tear item.
Old 01-02-19, 02:55 PM
Migeru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I would say you dumped the clutch, over reved to redline? If it's slipping now then that's probably your delay. The clutch is a wear, and tear item.

I just replaced the clutch a couple of months prior to the "incident". At first I thought it was the clutch but thats not the case after taking it to a mechanic. He said that everything seems fine but I know my car, it was faster before.
Old 01-02-19, 04:28 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Migeru
I just replaced the clutch a couple of months prior to the "incident". At first I thought it was the clutch but thats not the case after taking it to a mechanic. He said that everything seems fine but I know my car, it was faster before.
Try doing some basic maintenance. New Air filter, Clean the MAF with CRC cleaner, Clean the throttle body, new PCV valve. If you want to get deeper get a new set of spark plugs. The OEM are good for 60K miles.
Old 01-02-19, 05:14 PM
Migeru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Try doing some basic maintenance. New Air filter, Clean the MAF with CRC cleaner, Clean the throttle body, new PCV valve. If you want to get deeper get a new set of spark plugs. The OEM are good for 60K miles.
Yeah Ill give those a go! Thanks for your assistance!