IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driving Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 07:54 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxLivinIS
...so after doing the "pedal dance" on a IS250 to get rid of the VSC/TRAC will mean that the 250s tranny will be only under my control, correct? ...
No. Disabling the VSC and TRAC systems has nothing to do with and will not reprogram the logic in your automatic transmission's ECU. You'll still have the "max gear selectors" (also jokingly referred to as "paddle shifters") to deal with.

Javier
Old 04-10-07, 09:18 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why haven't you tried playing with it with the nannies off?
Old 04-10-07, 10:45 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
1. I am extremely disappointed with the IS350's handling - or better said - the IS's electronic nannies and unfortunately heavy curb weight.
Though I'm not surprised in the least, I also didn't really set my expectations high with the IS in the performance department.

I'm kicking myself for leaving the Supra at home.
Insert FD for Supra, and this has always been my solution.
Old 04-10-07, 11:18 AM
LuxLivinIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
No. Disabling the VSC and TRAC systems has nothing to do with and will not reprogram the logic in your automatic transmission's ECU. You'll still have the "max gear selectors" (also jokingly referred to as "paddle shifters") to deal with.

Javier

Sorry i wrote what i ment wrong I was trying to ask since the 250 doesn't have the VDIM, disabling the VSC/TRAC will give me full control of the car during hard driving. since on the 350 even after you disable the VSC/TRAC you still have to contend with the VDIM controlling the tranny in undisired ways during hard driving
Old 04-10-07, 11:28 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not surprised. In the commercials I've seen for the IS, it really only talks about how fast it is in a straight line. (i.e. the gravity commercial).

I don't think Lexus in its own literature ever claimed the IS350 to be a superior handling car. I just went on the Lexus website and under the performance tab, it just talked about the engine and brakes. The only handling comment says a sports suspension is available.

I don't drive that spiritedly, so I've found the handling more than adequate for my needs.
Old 04-10-07, 11:32 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

A big question will be what this means for the IS-F. If the transmission, paddles, and braking system are going to have similar programming, it will get killed in the eventual M3 comparison test...
Old 04-10-07, 12:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Why haven't you tried playing with it with the nannies off?
It wasn't invoking the VSC nannies. Never once did I get the bell or the flashing VSC light. I wasn't trying for 10/10ths, I was driving about 80 percent, which for me is a comfortable pace.

The real problem is how the transmission shifts and the brake assist (which you can't turn off.) I am used to having full control over both of these, and I get virtual control at best. I am not at all impressed by the hardware abstraction layer between me and the car. I think Greg has it right - I'd need to be in Snow mode with VSC off to get anywhere close to what I want, but IMHO, I should not have to go to that extreme for an easy canyon drive.
Old 04-10-07, 01:06 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The brake assist is triggered by how fast you hit the brake pedel. If you ease into it, you will not get the extra brake force. When you tap/hit the pedel fast, it will be triggered. It takes some practice but you can smooth it out. I do all my braking before the turn and try to be in the throttle as I am entering. This will also allow you to be in the right gear. Driving smooth is the key! I find myself using the shifter to control the trans when in the twisties and the paddles when I am playing (cat and mouse) on the highway with other cars.

Koz
Old 04-10-07, 01:23 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I'll agree that brake assist is pretty damn lame. It doesn't even seem like a very good safety feature unless you're just an idiotic driver who doesn't know what anti-lock brakes are.

I mean, if some obstacle comes up that requires you to slam the brakes to slow down and get out of the way, you're going to have a difficult time steering if your car is still applying full brake force while you're trying to steer away... They really should at least offer a way to disable that.

As for the auto problems... I don't think there's a solution to that in any car other than a MT, heh.
Old 04-10-07, 01:53 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Brake assist is designed to insure you get maximum braking in an emergency braking situation, even if you unknowingly let up on the brake pedal. Because it is linked to the anti-lock and brake-force distribution systems you are guaranteed to stop ASAP regardless of road conditions and/or drivers input under a panic stop and still have control of the steering. For most people this is a blessing. To avoid too much intervention you need to apply the initial application smoothly/slowly and then press down firmly. If you practice fast stops smoothly, you will feel much better about these systems. They save lives!

Koz
Old 04-10-07, 03:04 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
Did you notice the paddle shifter shifts slower than the shifter on the console?
I have noticed this. I only use the console one. it seems a lot faster when down/up shifting. Still slow though..
Old 04-10-07, 03:10 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone with an 07 with the VDIM switch find it ineffective and how it doesn't stay off. I press the button, the light comes on, 10 seconds later the light turns off. I try holding the button for 5-10 seconds, I hear the beep as if it is really off(light coming on again). Same thing happens, 10 seconds later the light turns off again. I know the VDIM isn't really off because later the VDIM warning light will come on acting as if it just saved my life.
Old 04-10-07, 03:16 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by Koz
Brake assist is designed to insure you get maximum braking in an emergency braking situation, even if you unknowingly let up on the brake pedal. Because it is linked to the anti-lock and brake-force distribution systems you are guaranteed to stop ASAP regardless of road conditions and/or drivers input under a panic stop and still have control of the steering. For most people this is a blessing. To avoid too much intervention you need to apply the initial application smoothly/slowly and then press down firmly. If you practice fast stops smoothly, you will feel much better about these systems. They save lives!

Koz
I know what they're designed to do, but I'm saying there are situations where they can actually make things WORSE in a case where a panicked driver slams the brakes.

I'm pretty sure the system was initially created for drivers who would let off the brakes for fear that they would lock up the wheels if they slammed them. Obviously for a car with good antilock brakes, that's not much of a concern, and you just want to apply the pedal fully whenever you need emergency braking. So this "safety" feature was created to recognize emergency braking and give full brake force whenever the car determined that's what you wanted, even if you let off the pedal after slamming the brakes.

The problem is if you're going too fast to stop completely before an obstacle, you just want to slow down, then let off the brakes, then steer out of the way. If the brakes are still being applied in full force when you let off the pedal, your car is probably going to understeer pretty badly... You're going to go plowing into whatever is sitting in front of you.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 04-10-07 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 03:18 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I`m wondering how many of you guys that have posted ,have coilovers?I went from s-tech springs to coilovers and seen all of the complaints mentioned above disappear.I set the drop at 3 inches and adjusted damping all weekend at deals gap.Never had a car that responds this nice!All thats needed now is adjustable swaybars.The car went from every dash warning light flashing to almost full throttle pulls through the curves
Old 04-10-07, 03:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I`m wondering how many of you guys that have posted ,have coilovers?I went from s-tech springs to coilovers and seen all of the complaints mentioned above disappear.I set the drop at 3 inches and adjusted damping all weekend at deals gap.Never had a car that responds this nice!All thats needed now is adjustable swaybars.The car went from every dash warning light flashing to almost full throttle pulls through the curves
Coilovers have nothing to do with this topic unless your coilovers came with new software for the ECUs.

Quick Reply: Driving Review