IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driving Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 03:54 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julez
Anyone with an 07 with the VDIM switch find it ineffective and how it doesn't stay off. I press the button, the light comes on, 10 seconds later the light turns off. I try holding the button for 5-10 seconds, I hear the beep as if it is really off(light coming on again). Same thing happens, 10 seconds later the light turns off again. I know the VDIM isn't really off because later the VDIM warning light will come on acting as if it just saved my life.
I have an 07, if you press the traction button quickly, only the trac off light comes on {VCS has not been disabled yet}. You can spin the tires, but once you go over 30 mph, the Trac light will automatically go off. If you hold the Trac button for 5 seconds at a dead stop, the "VCS off " light will come on after the TRAC off light, and will stay on even when you go over 30 mph. You can turn off the traction while moving under 30 mph{Not the VCS} , but it goes out the second you go over 30.

I really hate the paddle shifters during a hard U- turn with oncoming traffic. Try making the 1-2 shift quickly while the steering wheel is spinning thru your hands. The paddles should be stationary regardless of where the steering wheel is.

Last edited by GOBUCS; 04-10-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 04:44 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
The problem is if you're going too fast to stop completely before an obstacle, you just want to slow down, then let off the brakes, then steer out of the way. If the brakes are still being applied in full force when you let off the pedal, your car is probably going to understeer pretty badly... You're going to go plowing into whatever is sitting in front of you.
Thats exactly what happened to me. I was doing a canyon driving (not even that fast) and a big curve came up. So I stepped on the brakes just enough to control the entrance speed, however, the brakes were still applied at full force even after I let go the pedal causing understeering. At least, nothing happened to me or the car, but I'm not sure if I still want to do any recreational driving on canyon roads (with the IS) after that incident.

Terrance
Old 04-10-07, 05:04 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
Brake assist is designed to insure you get maximum braking in an emergency braking situation, even if you unknowingly let up on the brake pedal. Because it is linked to the anti-lock and brake-force distribution systems you are guaranteed to stop ASAP regardless of road conditions and/or drivers input under a panic stop and still have control of the steering.
It appears that you believe that when panic braking is applied the car will automatically continue to apply maximum brake force even if the driver releases brake pressure. This is not the case, however. (Could you imagine the lawsuits?) In actuality, in a panic braking situation, the car automatically applies maximum braking force so long as the driver has the brakes applied. This automatic brake force is canceled the instant the driver releases the brake.
Old 04-11-07, 04:56 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Coilovers have nothing to do with this topic unless your coilovers came with new software for the ECUs.

Well,you are talking about VSC and Breaking.And changing you suspenion set up would effect every part of the cars VSC and breaking!With the right setup who would need VSC.I do understand that the topic is how VSC dulls the fun factor,but my point is ,with changes to the car the effect of VSC isn`t noticed.
Old 04-11-07, 05:38 AM
caudlek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
I really hate the paddle shifters during a hard U- turn with oncoming traffic. Try making the 1-2 shift quickly while the steering wheel is spinning thru your hands. The paddles should be stationary regardless of where the steering wheel is.
I disagree .... I found with the shift buttons in the IS300 you had the same problem ..... in order for that to really work you need a steering wheel that turns the wheels fully in like half a turn.

I know what you mean though .... if your turning right or left, and want to go fast off the line (from a full stop) you need to start in 2nd ..... it actually starts in first gear anyway.

The real question is has anyone tried to "out shift" the automatic transmission .... i highly doubt anyone can get up to 60mph faster shifting manually. Anyone tried to compare?

KC
Old 04-11-07, 05:40 AM
donm3ga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 350's overall performance. Some say Audi outperforms it, but my previous car was an Audi and the 350 wins hands down.
Old 04-11-07, 06:06 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i have an issue with it also... this is a great car if you dont' know how to drive at all...
in terms of feedback.. i think it's lacking... when i'm on a freeway take those wide turns at 80mph (changing freeway) .. i can't seem to trust the car... i don't consider this car a great performance car at all... i guess i really have to take it to a track and push the car to its' limits in order to know how the car responds.... i tried to spin out on purpose once , but the computer got in the way and stole all my power.. i was so annoyed... straight line.. i can't complain...

for normal driving.. i can't complain... if you let the car just take over...it almost drives for you...

Last edited by omgitsroy; 04-11-07 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 06:16 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is if you're going too fast to stop completely before an obstacle, you just want to slow down, then let off the brakes, then steer out of the way. If the brakes are still being applied in full force when you let off the pedal, your car is probably going to understeer pretty badly... You're going to go plowing into whatever is sitting in front of you.
I can't say that has ever been the case with me. If I use moderate brake pressure, thats what I get. If I release the brakes, regardless of how much brake boost has been applied, the car stays predictable and I as the driver maintain control so long as the speeds are within reason. The only exception, is that my vehicle is equipped with the pre-collision system, so it starts readying the brake system before the potential impact; even then, its not an issue. In the few cases I've had to make quick lateral movements under intense braking, it hasn't been a problem since the tires traction limits haven't been exceeded (thanks in part to its ABS).

If a person understeers while braking and attempting to turn, its more than likely because they were going too fast in the first place as you eluded to in your post. If one is going too fast, then it would make most sense to brake in a straight line, taking into account that the car is going to implement its electronic assist. If this isn't taken into consideration, then IMO its driver error.

Last edited by Lets Drive; 04-11-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 08:05 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Well,you are talking about VSC and Breaking.And changing you suspenion set up would effect every part of the cars VSC and breaking!With the right setup who would need VSC.I do understand that the topic is how VSC dulls the fun factor,but my point is ,with changes to the car the effect of VSC isn`t noticed.
The issue is that the transmission gear shifts and brake assist are far from optimum when driving near the limit, and coilovers would have no effect on those behaviors at all.
Old 04-11-07, 08:18 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I can't say that has ever been the case with me. If I use moderate brake pressure, thats what I get. If I release the brakes, regardless of how much brake boost has been applied, the car stays predictable and I as the driver maintain control so long as the speeds are within reason. The only exception, is that my vehicle is equipped with the pre-collision system, so it starts readying the brake system before the potential impact; even then, its not an issue. In the few cases I've had to make quick lateral movements under intense braking, it hasn't been a problem since the tires traction limits haven't been exceeded (thanks in part to its ABS).

If a person understeers while braking and attempting to turn, its more than likely because they were going too fast in the first place as you eluded to in your post. If one is going too fast, then it would make most sense to brake in a straight line, taking into account that the car is going to implement its electronic assist. If this isn't taken into consideration, then IMO its driver error.
It's possible to be going too fast to slow down completely before an obstacle, but not too fast to be able to avoid the obstacle... But yes, it is also possible to avoid the kind of danger I was talking about by either always having control over how much brake pressure you apply (and never slamming the brakes in a panick) so that brake assist doesn't kick in, and/or completely releasing the brake pedal before you turn. Still, the system seems unnecessary, and CAN cause problems. Hell, someone in this thread already gave an example of them running into that problem.

And it also doesn't sound to me like you've been in the kind of situation I was describing, anyways... If so, you handled it pretty well, I guess.
Old 04-11-07, 08:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lobuxracer: You sound surprised... Which surprises me...

Did you really think Toyota would let you disable all the nannies? Did you really think you could enjoy yourself on the PCH in a Lexus? Of course you didn't... You were optimistic, and maybe even trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but comon, you knew what the end result would be...

The IS-F is the only hope for a "sporty" lexus, but I doubt they will get it right... Unless they take the route that Mercedes did with AMG... In the AMG, the paddle shifters are AWESOME... They shift so damn fast... It's incredible...

And of course, BMW's M3/M5/M6 are great handling cars...

The fact that the IS350 is so smooth and comfortable while crusing down a highway is the reason you're going to have that body roll... (caymandive: you hit the nail on the head, a thicker sway bar would make things MUCH better for handling, but then the ride would be more jarring for straight freeway)

In the end, if you want something that is fun in the twisties, the IS350 is not that car...

But hey, that's why we own more than one car right?
Old 04-11-07, 09:35 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible to be going too fast to slow down completely before an obstacle, but not too fast to be able to avoid the obstacle... But yes, it is also possible to avoid the kind of danger I was talking about by either always having control over how much brake pressure you apply (and never slamming the brakes in a panick) so that brake assist doesn't kick in, and/or completely releasing the brake pedal before you turn. Still, the system seems unnecessary, and CAN cause problems. Hell, someone in this thread already gave an example of them running into that problem.

And it also doesn't sound to me like you've been in the kind of situation I was describing, anyways... If so, you handled it pretty well, I guess.
The problem to begin with, was going too fast. Without brake assist and ABS, its been shown that there are far more accidents from roadgoing vehicles, so in a sense its been deemed very necessary. The brake assist + ABS function very well for straight line braking, but if the driver is entering a situation at a speed that is too fast for the tires to maintain traction upon slowing (while taking evasive maneuvers), they see an understeer situation. That is a fault of the driver, not the brake boost or car.

BTW, I completely understand what you mean. My FD doesn't have near the electronic nannies that the IS does, but its the same logic. Regardless of how much brake pressure I apply or try to moderate, the tires have a max grip that can be exceeded while trying to make lateral movements during panic-braking. ABS attempts to prevent lock-up (better than most drivers will admit to), while providing better control over lateral movement. Brake boost is tied directly into this system in the IS, so unless its specifically overcoming the ABS by providing more brake power than allowable traction, I'd have to say it wouldn't be intefering with anything that the driver didn't initiate-- i.e. a situation for understeer.
Old 04-11-07, 10:15 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Even if the tires don't lose traction while slowing down in a straight line, you can (and will) still understeer if you're braking at full force from a high speed when you start to turn. Just because your wheels are providing enough traction to brake does not mean they are going to provide enough traction to both brake AND turn.

By the way, to Technique, and everyone else talking about the IS's handling limits... I can't really speak much from personal experience (yet) since I haven't pushed the car very hard other than on a straight line, but every review I've heard from a reputable publication has said that the ISx50 has a very capable chassis, but the problem is mainly that the nannies keep you from ever reaching it's limits. That plus, the suspension is of course a little soft and high, but that's easily fixed.

Hell didn't Team Lexus use an unmodified chassis in their Lexus IS RACECAR??? (other than suspension mods, of course) I can understand the complaints about all the software that keeps you from having fun, but I always thought the car at it's core was a very capable machine.
Old 04-11-07, 10:25 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I would call anything about the Team Lexus car as "unmodified". The chassis was fully reinforced with a cage.
Old 04-11-07, 10:30 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, ok... I figured they would do something like that, but I remember reading that it was unmodified. I was wondering how they definining a modification...

... Well the point still stands, heh.

Quick Reply: Driving Review