IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driving Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts
Default Driving Review

I don't like starting new threads, but I felt this important enough to make one. I just finished a drive from Monterery to Los Angeles via CA Highway 1. I am extremely disappointed with the IS350's handling - or better said - the IS's electronic nannies and unfortunately heavy curb weight.

In short, the IS350 is NOT FUN on a tight road (50 - 90 mph). The paddle shifters do NOT solve the problem of putting me in the gear I NEED, only in limiting the maximum gear. Anyone else notice how the transmission downshifts when you brake hard setting up for a turn? The downshifts are NOT smooth, and then it hunts for a gear on exit (or worse, tries to downshift again when I don't want/need that much torque at the wheel), so I have a moment of slack time before I can accelerate and balance the car. Ever notice how brake assist gives you MORE brake than you wanted and planned for so your entry speed is all screwed up from what you though you would have?

So here I am, braking to enter the turn - the gearbox is downshifting at the wrong time, the brakes are jamming themselves on harder than I wanted, and I'm trying to focus on line and traction. But I can't. I'm forced to focus on what the electronics are doing to the car because it isn't reasonably predictable. I really hate the nannies, every last one of them!

I haven't tried this with the competition, but I just have this bad feeling BMW is a lot more accommodating and less intrusive if I want to drive over 75 percent. Sorry for the rant, but I really expected a lot better from the IS. I'm kicking myself for leaving the Supra at home.
Old 04-09-07, 06:45 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree. I don't pretend to be a racer or have any clue about what makes a good car or a bad car, but all I know is that I ran one canyon run in my RSX and it was absolutely delightful, tight, balanced, poised, and confidence inspiring. I ran the same canyon in the IS, something about the brakes, the steering, and the throttle input never really matched what I intended and had the car squirming about unpredictably. It was the opposite of confidence inspiring, and forces you to pay attention to the car and what it's nannies are doing on their own, as opposed to the RSX which lets you pay attention to the road and the car becomes simply an extension of your hands and feet.
Old 04-09-07, 07:25 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have read (which I am sure that you have) the BMW wins hands down in overall performance. My Audi's handled better although they where manual transmitions. I like the IS (350), but in the turns its tough. Here in Vegas we have round-a-bouts to control traffic and speeds. I personally love to run through them as quick as I can, but downshifting into the turn often finds me with a lot of understeer and coming out I loose power because the traction control kicks in.

I love the car, but for sheer perfomance it's not the one.
Old 04-09-07, 08:34 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I couldn't agree more, Lance... which is why every time I feel like taking on Angeles Crest Fwy or any other stretch where I want to do some spirited recreational driving, I do my pedal dance to turn off the nannies. It makes a huge difference in the driving experience. The one thing I wish we could 'hack' to give us more control is that transmission, though, because even the pedal dance doesn't solve this problem...

Javier
Old 04-09-07, 10:49 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Did you notice the paddle shifter shifts slower than the shifter on the console?
Old 04-09-07, 11:16 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have noticed the brakes are very very sensitive when I'm doing some spirited driving. It feels as if I got rear ended. The paddle shifters are just a marketing tool that pushes the "cool factor" up alittle, so don't expect much use out of them.
Old 04-09-07, 11:25 PM
559IS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cspec
Did you notice the paddle shifter shifts slower than the shifter on the console?
HaHa...I agree. And yea, it feels heavy on tight turns. The rear break loose too easily coming out of the corner, then traction kicks in, slows me down. Sucks
Old 04-09-07, 11:50 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i know it seems to be a consensus that the handling on this car is far from great. so how can we solve or attempt to fix this problem?
Old 04-10-07, 12:05 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jsquared
well i know it seems to be a consensus that the handling on this car is far from great. so how can we solve or attempt to fix this problem?
I wouldn't say the handling is bad - in fact, when I disable the VSC/TRAC, the car handles quite well. The issue here is with VDIM interfering at sudden and unexpected times, and the inability to exert control over the gearbox...

Javier
Old 04-10-07, 05:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

In the handling department, I think the car could use a thicker rear sway bar. Still waiting for Eibach to release it. It would really help with the feel of the car in cornering, but not sure how it would effect over/understeer. I'm guessing since the car has slight understeer that with a thicker rear sway bar it could make it more neutral or slightly over steer. Either case I would be fine with it.
Old 04-10-07, 05:57 AM
LuxLivinIS
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys for bringing up the 250 when this is a 350 thread. i've read the VDIM is only on the 350 right? so after doing the "pedal dance" on a IS250 to get rid of the VSC/TRAC will mean that the 250s tranny will be only under my control, correct? Im just trying to find out if its worth going auto for the chill factor but i don't want to be bothered by the computer when i do decide to take it to a autoX or track day for some fun runs. I know I can get a manual to take care of the problem once and for all but waiting 5 months for a special order might be to long for me. thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-07, 06:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just curious but all of that after you turned off VSC, and had the PWR option on? I understand VDIM is going to kick in reguardless but with the other two features on/off the drive should be abit better than that!

I have noticed our car does have a slight body roll especially at basically 50mph or greater but your above experience makes me frown. I guess I need to really go out there and push my car to see what its like.

But then again I didn't buy this car with the intentions of it being anything more than a cruiser that can accelerate onto and off on ramps!
Old 04-10-07, 07:04 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree

The paddle shifters are the most poorly implemented incarnation of manumatic shifters ever created. What is the point of them. They dont shift when you want them to.

The Handling, I am not a fan of the electronic Power steering assist. However, I have noticed that my 07IS with Potenza's seem to have much tighter steering than my sold 06IS with Dunlops. I am not sure if the difference is in the model year, or the tire. But the difference is pretty noticable(to me anyway)
Old 04-10-07, 07:15 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

I just had to borrow my Dad's IS300 over the weekend-

car felt outdates but for whatever reason handling felt much better by seat of the pants feel- car just felt more tossable/ connected-

interior wise, the car felt a little outdated- and the lack of power had me dissapointed- but handling wise that car just seemed more fun- Damn.
Old 04-10-07, 07:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lance,

Did you do the padal dance before the drive? Between that, and using ECT-Snow with the paddle shifters, I don't think there's much more you could do. I know that ECT-Snow will slow down throttle response, but the tranny will behave much more to your liking.

Quick Reply: Driving Review