IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Exhaust Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 08:40 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Hangers

I don't own an IS350 but have seen plenty on the street. I have noticed that on the freeway when there are lots of ruts between concrete segments the exhaust system on an IS will literally bounce up and down 2"-4". Seriously, it looks like it is missing an exhaust hanger. Not sure if it is designed this way but I have never seen that on a newer car and I can only imagine that it will cause premature stretch and wear of the exhaust hangers (which are usually just rubber donuts that attach to the body and exhaust). Just an FYI.
Old 04-11-07, 09:49 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And thats why they have urethane bushings!!
Old 04-11-07, 09:58 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

You mean from the factory or for replacement?
Old 04-11-07, 11:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah the rubber exhaust hangers do stink, but 2-4" of exhaust travel!? Wish someone would sell some after market ones as I do believe they are a bit on the loose side.

Last edited by caymandive; 04-11-07 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 11:45 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

It could be me, but I couldve sworn looking at the OEM ones, they look like the Honda ones I was gonna get.
Old 04-11-07, 01:11 PM
StarfireIS
Driver School Candidate

When my wife and I drove our new IS350 home from the dealership I was following her home and noticed the same thing. The tips moved upward and touched the rear bumper when she went over a speed bump. I told her about this and to slow down over speed bumps from now on even though she was already going slow enough IMHO.

This past weekend I installed the HKS Hi-power exhaust and it came with two hangers for the exhaust. Since the instructions for installation are vague at best I was unsure where they should go, but I think I figured out that they're intended to replaced the ones right behind the rear bumper. The HKS hangers are stiffer than anything on the car from the factory. By installing the HKS hangers behind the rear bumper it really holds the exhaust tightly. I imagine this is a good thing since the tips on the HKS Hi-power exhaust are hugh and you don't want those touching the plastic bumper especially when they get hot.
Old 04-11-07, 03:00 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Yea, I've noticed this too...and I hate it.... it's really sad that a lexus' exhaust pipes would do that.... I hope a TSB eventually comes out.... its real ugly.
Old 04-11-07, 05:26 PM
559IS350
Driver School Candidate

Yup seen plenty here on the California 405 freeway. Thought that it might be just that one car, then came the second and so fourth, and yet I still bought myself a IS350. Looks tacky and cheap though when it is bouncing on the freeway.
Old 04-11-07, 07:24 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Allright this is REAL ghetto but I thought I might try it. Ovalize a hose clamp and put around each rubber hanger, they're under the bumper so they shouldn't be seen and you could put the clamp part on top. What do you think?
Old 04-12-07, 01:25 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buford
Allright this is REAL ghetto but I thought I might try it. Ovalize a hose clamp and put around each rubber hanger, they're under the bumper so they shouldn't be seen and you could put the clamp part on top. What do you think?
Was just thinking about that 2 days ago. Also considering marine/duct tape.
Old 04-12-07, 08:31 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I would pull off an exhaust hanger and go to Pep Boys or exhaust shop and see if they have a slightly smaller or stiffer one. Maybe even try a Lexus or Toyota dealer (though paying $50 for a piece of rubber can be painful).
Old 04-12-07, 09:57 AM
edwin907
Driver

I just finished installing my HKS Hi Power exhaust.
Pretty simple, 35-40 minutes.
Not completely satisfied with it's position (sort of low and uneven), I replaced the two inner muffler hangers with the included stiffer HKS hangers, and the center ones (by the resonator) with a couple of much stiffer ones from Advance Auto ($4.98).
Then I did Buford's ghetto hose clamp around the stock rubber hanger muffler mod (thanks Buford, haven't done that in years, 5 years ago, Eurosport exhaust), to the not as easily replaceable ones directly over the mufflers, and the result (after a little tightening, many road miles, and minor readjustments to the clamps and all 3 flanges) is an almost perfectly even centering of the large HKS muffler tips.
There is just under .5" from the top of the exhaust tip to the bodywork, and it is almost impossible to make it touch the paint.
Test runs over speed bumps, up and down steep driveways, in and out of businesses, and so forth and it's fine. Idling for extended period of time in traffic gives no indication of any problem with excessive heat buildup causing problems with the paint. It might be different down here in Georgia in July, but time will tell. Generally 3/8 to 1/2" clearance is sufficient in my experience, (except on my BMW R1100RSL motorcycle from a few years ago).
If anyone has experience with melted rear bumpers, now is the time to give me a heads up!

Anyway, this exhaust looks great, sounds wonderful (I'm an old rock&roller, motorcycle racer, sound man, night club manager, firearm enthusiast, etc, so I might not be the best judge of volume), is quite a bit louder than the Lexus HKS model which is too quiet for me, and makes the car a heck of a lot more fun to drive, expecially in ECT mode.

Old 04-12-07, 11:16 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

How is that sitting unevenly?? It looks hot!!! IMO
Old 04-12-07, 11:35 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Edwin where are u located in Ga?
Old 04-12-07, 02:36 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Edwin, your exhaust looks great! Off topic, I know, but I wanna see more pics of your wheels. Show us!!!

Javier

Quick Reply: Exhaust Hangers