IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 10:09 AM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are you serious? How would you feel if you discovered that your brand new car had been cannibalized for parts to repair another customer's vehicle?
I wouldn't take the car in the first place unless everything was done to the car this way if you seen something you didn't like you just get another car or go to another dealership.
Old 04-15-07, 10:45 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Lexus parking assist IS a dealer fit option. I had front and back sensors fitted at my first (10k) service and they link to the multi function display. Works like a dream and the sensors are colour matched.

With regard to your damaged bumper, they can fit a new one and the colour match should be spot on - I had mine removed and resprayed after someone scratched mine and you could never tell.
Old 04-15-07, 12:03 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are you serious? How would you feel if you discovered that your brand new car had been cannibalized for parts to repair another customer's vehicle?
If the dealer thinks that the "fake Park assist" is such an acceptable option, why dont they just switch bumpers.

The dealership can advertise it as a free option.
Old 04-15-07, 03:34 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

(Daisy's husband here)

...at this point I don't know what they going to do, and honestly I don't care. They must to put 100% color / grain matching bumper on the car. It need to look exact like the rest of the car. Period.

All this mess begun with somone's stupid idea to install this POS on my wifes car. I never asked them (or allowed) to do it. Instruction was simple - PARK ASSIST option.

Factory painting is based on multistage coating and proper temp. processing. I'm not really convinced that any shop will be able to recreate this.

I'm not trying to be a ***** here, but as I said before....my wife bought a new car, not a one with painted bumper. I don't see any reason why she would even consider lesser quality to cover somebody's mistake (honest or not).

Whoever decided to put this parking beeper on my wife's car should cover all costs right now from his own pocket. Maybe next time he will think twice before install like that.
Old 04-15-07, 03:59 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Daisy1
(Daisy's husband here)

...at this point I don't know what they going to do, and honestly I don't care. They must to put 100% color / grain matching bumper on the car. It need to look exact like the rest of the car. Period.

All this mess begun with somone's stupid idea to install this POS on my wifes car. I never asked them (or allowed) to do it. Instruction was simple - PARK ASSIST option.

Factory painting is based on multistage coating and proper temp. processing. I'm not really convinced that any shop will be able to recreate this.

I'm not trying to be a ***** here, but as I said before....my wife bought a new car, not a one with painted bumper. I don't see any reason why she would even consider lesser quality to cover somebody's mistake (honest or not).

Whoever decided to put this parking beeper on my wife's car should cover all costs right now from his own pocket. Maybe next time he will think twice before install like that.
agreed 100% and i think everyone here can agree with this as well.
Old 04-15-07, 05:12 PM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
hi daisy,

welcome and sorry to hear of your nightmare. i was pretty shocked to see those pics

in any case, i am glad you are satisfied with the outcome. but please do make sure that you are ok w/ the repairs they are suggesting and the fact that you will be without the park assist that you originally wanted.

i personally wouldn't want a repaired bumper or a new bumper that has to be painted and matched, because nothing will ever match 100% to when the car was originally painted at the factory in japan. and it is possible that later your car's value is diminished by non-factory paint work that was not your fault. (this happened to my sister and she was PISSED about it)

and if you think you will have ANY regrets about not having IPA in the future, i would seriously consider trying to trade for a car that actually has it. it's a great feature and something that protects your bumpers from damage, sparing you costly repair bills. we have the IPA on our GS and i don't think we'll get another car without it!

anyway, best of luck to you; looking forward to your pics!!

Wow,

I can't believe what just happened to you. My sympathy to you and the destruction of your new car. It is extremely hard to believe that a Lexus dealership would try this. My hats off to you for dealing with this in a calm & professional manner. I would have tried to do the same, but I personally would demand they get me a new car.

A new car = new car! A fixed bumper = repaired car. They may be able to match the color, but will it be a perfect replacement? Maybe, maybe not? My dad took his Acura TL to get his major service done. A tech backed his car after the service and scratched his bumper. They replaced the bumper at no charge, but when you look closely at the lines, it can never be perfect as it did coming out of the factory. If you go and try to trade it in, 100% of the dealers out there will notice this flaw and give you considerably less for the car. If you keep this car with a new bumper, you will not have a NEW car. You will have paid for a new car, gone through this hell, and have a USED car. If you accept there deal, be sure to warn them that if it is not perfect, you will demand a new car or your money back and go buy somewhere else. Put some more pressure on them to make the car perfect.
They misled you and made you go through all this stress, etc. The least you deserve is a NEW car to drive.

The Lexus dealership has deep pockets, I think it would be wise of them to get you what you want. If you are too nice, you will be screwed.

Good Luck!
Old 04-15-07, 05:41 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Same thing almost happened to me once when I bought a new Camry. I wanted a couple port installed options (spoiler, fogs). When they got the parts in, and I took the car back, I reiterated "these are OEM parts right!", their reply was "you wanted OEM?"

The moral is... assume nothing!
Old 04-15-07, 06:02 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

omg.... i just saw this right now. did you kick the dealer's a$$??
Old 04-15-07, 06:27 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Thats some Nonsense ****! sorry about your problem. You did keep it in a calm and professional matter. As for me, I would have gone HAYWIRE!!!
Old 04-15-07, 09:25 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The Lexus parking assist IS a dealer fit option. I had front and back sensors fitted at my first (10k) service and they link to the multi function display. Works like a dream and the sensors are colour matched.

With regard to your damaged bumper, they can fit a new one and the colour match should be spot on - I had mine removed and resprayed after someone scratched mine and you could never tell.
how much was it .. and got any pictures?
Old 04-16-07, 12:55 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by danger4o5
Thats some Nonsense ****! sorry about your problem. You did keep it in a calm and professional matter. As for me, I would have gone HAYWIRE!!!
Same here, I would have done some serious van damage.

Old 04-16-07, 01:21 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I purchased my truck, I discovered blemishes on the bumper.

The sales manager said they will have it refinished.... so i insisted to use their jargon.

I stated that "I do not want a spot job on my truck!"

Very obvious he understood said it will be exactly the same.

So i then insisted that they would replace my bumper with another new car on the lot and they can paint that one becuase i wanted the car immediately.

They did meet my request so I ended up with a OEM painted bumper from another truck.
Old 04-16-07, 04:07 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Daisy:

The more I read the posted replies, the more I'm convince the car must be replace.

You paid for a new car delivered directly from the factory and that's what you should get. It is probable that you start seeing changes in the painted bumper after the first year.

Warrrionex
Old 04-16-07, 06:34 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do not let them paint the bumper, I think you should get an OEM bumper. That pearl white color is very hard to replicate, not to mention it'll fade differently in time with the rest of the car. Do not let them get away easy with this, demand a new bumper. Those stealership make sh1tload of money, I don't see what's the problem with replacing a bumper like that.
Old 04-16-07, 08:37 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Don't let them repaint! When the time comes for you to resell the car later down the road, if the next buyer knows what to look for they will notice bumper was a "repaint" and it lowers your resale value. Even a new factory bumper is painted in the body shop.

Have dealer do a "bumper swap" from another new car they have on the lot. Those come from JAPAN.

(Sometimes it helps to speak the dealer's language so you can try using the phrases "repaint" and "bumper swap".)

Good luck.

Quick Reply: ► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)