IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 09:35 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The utter absurdity of this is almost comical. I'd give the dealer a chance to fix it but don't hesitate to go corporate if they don't make it right. If the park assist is a factory option as others have said then your only recourse may be for them to replace the bumper cover with a new one and just live without it. I can't believe a Lexus dealer would pull this crap. A Chevy dealer I could believe.
Old 04-13-07, 09:36 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

^ the camera is great but it's hard to tell the real distance (at least in the begining) and the real park assist has sensors on the Nav.
Old 04-13-07, 09:40 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
The utter absurdity of this is almost comical. I'd give the dealer a chance to fix it but don't hesitate to go corporate if they don't make it right. If the park assist is a factory option as others have said then your only recourse may be for them to replace the bumper cover with a new one and just live without it. I can't believe a Lexus dealer would pull this crap. A Chevy dealer I could believe.

My thought's the same. My only other option is to have a new bumper put on the car, of course if they can't install the original park assist. I'm just suprised they didn't bother to tell me that was not avail. after delivery.
Old 04-13-07, 09:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your dealer was either foolishly ignorant or just plain lazy, probably both, to foist this junk on you. Shame on them. I would tear them a new one, and if that doesn't work I would scream as far up the corporate ladder as I could. This is completely unacceptable from a Lexus dealer. Since when did they start installing crap like this on Lexus's as aftermarket accessories? I would have them rip this stuff out and patch and paint your rear bumper to your satisfaction at no cost to you. And of course give you a loaner for the time you are inconvenienced.

They should have made clear to you that the original Lexus Intuitive Parking Assist was a factory option and not available as an add on, and then showed you what they would install. Obviously you would have screamed and ran out of the room.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 04-13-07, 10:08 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evitzee
They should have made clear to you that the original Lexus Intuitive Parking Assist was a factory option and not available as an add on, and then showed you what they would install. Obviously you would have screamed and ran out of the room.

^ that's exactly right.i just got back from looking at it and everytime I see the bumper it looks worse and worse to me
Old 04-13-07, 10:20 PM
SeattleIS300
Driver School Candidate

This is a joke and def not factory park assist. My IS350 has like 5 or 6 sensors on the back and 2 on the front. I can't believe they would even pawn this off.

-Joe
Old 04-13-07, 10:21 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my god, I would be in jail for assault if the dealer did that to me. I would call corporate RIGHT away. They owe you a new bumper. That is utter crap.

Park assist does come on cars without navigation. It basically beeps faster the closer you get to something. There are 6 sensors, 2 in front and 4 on the back. That is insane. DONT EVER TAKE YOUR CAR THERE AGAIN.

On the paper, they owe you the lexus Park Assist feature. They installed a "back up navigator" What dealer is this.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-13-07 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-13-07, 10:27 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

I am pretty sure that Lexus Dealers are not allowed to/ are strongly suggested not to, add aftermarket features to cars prior to sale without the request of the buyer. This is to discourage things such as "dubs" and chrome grilles--not that I haven't seen these at several dealerships. I would definately report these scammers. On another note, I like yours better than the factory ones. I bet the functionality/seemlessness of the actual system is better on the factory option though.
Old 04-13-07, 10:32 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say again, that that is the most ridiculous and horrible thing I have ever seen. I hope that the OEM sensors are big enough to cover the holes they put in your bumper.

Contact Corporate. Good luck.
Old 04-13-07, 10:38 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Oh my god, I would be in jail for assault if the dealer did that to me. I would call corporate RIGHT away. They owe you a new bumper. That is utter crap.

Park assist does come on cars without navigation. It basically beeps faster the closer you get to something. There are 6 sensors, 2 in front and 4 on the back. That is insane. DONT EVER TAKE YOUR CAR THERE AGAIN.

On the paper, they owe you the lexus Park Assist feature. They installed a "back up navigator" What dealer is this.
The thing is that i do have a nav package and and I understood that it would be displayed on the nav.this "Echomaster" only has an annoying sound.
at this poing if I cant get the park assist I want a new bumper. i believe the holes are too big to even put in the park assist. these ugly things are pretty big.
Old 04-13-07, 10:44 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

I have to say this situation completely riuned the new car buying experience. I wanted a new car without any incidents like this. I liked this Lexus and heard nothing but great things about the Lexus service.
Old 04-13-07, 10:48 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

dang that sucks!!!!
Old 04-13-07, 10:55 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

my first reaction when i saw your pics...

DAMN.

i'd see to it that heads roll. looks like they tried to pull a quick one on you. shame on them for even trying.
Old 04-13-07, 11:03 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you can add the OEM parking sensors as easily as people think. They'd have to add the button and the display on the dash. It's just like XM. If you don't get it from the factory you have to settle for the little black magnet.
Old 04-13-07, 11:08 PM
Daisy1
Rookie

^ if I was only informed of that i would've never allowed for this to happen
I assume no one in their right mind would.

Quick Reply: ► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)