IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 06:06 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Here we go another sue happy attempt to right a wrong; she got what she wanted... Park assist.

I'm sorry what happened the Daisy was wrong, but you can't blame Lexus for it. It was in the hands of the dealership, if anything don't slander the Lexus name because of an idiot dealer.

Another thing and I may be playing devil's advocate here is.. why didn't you ask the dealer the outcome of the sensors? I understand what you thought the park assist would look like but if you would have asked the problem could have been stopped there. The dealer said he would add park assist, I'm sure he never said to what extent. She asked for park assist for the purchase of the car she got it! I'm going to reread the ops post but I don't recall she saying that the dealer stated the park assist would look just like factory. It is just like those people who got XM radio after market and weren't happy with the results... You should have asked the dealer directly what it will look like and how comparable to the factory installed option it would be.

Sorry -- I asked these questions about XM radio and thats why I waited for a car to come in with it factory installed so I wouldn't have some ugly black wart on my TP car. Please tell me the dealer said they would look just like factory.. if not, really... they might be nice and replace the bumper. And I am annoyed for you too, but I still feel you should have asked these questions.
i agree with you 100%.
Old 04-14-07, 06:56 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dealership probably has no knowledge about this. I think it's your sale person screw you over because he/she wants to make this sale. I say all you need to do is call a manager there and things will be resolve, and make sure the manager you talk to know that you will call corporate if nothing gonna get done. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-14-07, 07:02 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wow I would have killed someone... Thats absolutely unacceptable.
Old 04-14-07, 07:07 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Here we go another sue happy attempt to right a wrong; she got what she wanted... Park assist.

I'm sorry what happened the Daisy was wrong, but you can't blame Lexus for it. It was in the hands of the dealership, if anything don't slander the Lexus name because of an idiot dealer.

Another thing and I may be playing devil's advocate here is.. why didn't you ask the dealer the outcome of the sensors? I understand what you thought the park assist would look like but if you would have asked the problem could have been stopped there. The dealer said he would add park assist, I'm sure he never said to what extent. She asked for park assist for the purchase of the car she got it! I'm going to reread the ops post but I don't recall she saying that the dealer stated the park assist would look just like factory. It is just like those people who got XM radio after market and weren't happy with the results... You should have asked the dealer directly what it will look like and how comparable to the factory installed option it would be.

Sorry -- I asked these questions about XM radio and thats why I waited for a car to come in with it factory installed so I wouldn't have some ugly black wart on my TP car. Please tell me the dealer said they would look just like factory.. if not, really... they might be nice and replace the bumper. And I am annoyed for you too, but I still feel you should have asked these questions.
should have known? WTH? THE DEALERSHIP SHOULD HAVE INFORMED HER. Especially if the modification could not easily be undone.

If i get parts from a lexus dealer, I expect quality parts. NOT TRASH

1) That is ridiculous that you blame her. She is a victim. Lexus, the corporation SHOULD hold THEIR dealership accountable for that monstrousity. If they dont, then they are as much to blame for liscensing that dealership as an authorized lexus dealership

2) What the dealer installed was not park assist. That was a back up navigator. The intentionally passed it off as OEM, to get the sale. If they couldnt do it or it was aftermarket they should have told her.

3) when you buy a car with options from the dealer, you expect OEM parts.

If I buy floormats with a toyota(some cars, these are options) I expect toyota floor mats. Not some floormats from target. Maybe thats to much to expect in your opinion. But that is crap. THIS is Lexus. And a big part of my buying a lexus was reputation.

4) you are totally insane, who goes to lexus buys a car and thinks they are going to get some cheap pos aftermarket items. IE, if I buy an IS with 17s and when I buy the car, they say they will install 18s... I expect oem 18s. Not TSW wheels.

The worst part is that they literally vandalized her car, to install those POS BACK UP sensors(not parking sensors)

5) I have to say this and I really mean it, you are being an --- for trying to blame her for this. I try my best to be civil, but that is completely and utterly ridiculous. WHO EXPECTS THAT CRAP WHEN THEY ORDER PARTS FROM THE DEALER. MAYBE IF I WERE BUYING A HYUNDAI.

IF LEXUS does not hold that dealer accountable, I WILL NEVER buy a lexus again. It will be a huge mark against them in my mind.

And maybe Lexus doesnt care about one customer, who bought 2 IS350s. But they may not care, when I say... my cousin/roomate bought an IS250 because of me. They may not care, when I say my friend Binh also bought an I350.... they may not care when I say my friend Thinh is looking at an IS as well. They may not care when I say my GF is looking for an RX next year.

BUt if you look at my small circle, thats 6 $40000 cars. or 240000. Word of mouth advertising that matters. And reputation matters. If this Rogue dealer-as you implied- is allowed to sully Lexus's reputation without consequences.... then whats stopping other dealers from pulling the same crap. LEXUS as a corp must keep their dealerships in line, otherwise, they as a corporation deserve to lose their reputation.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-14-07 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 07:08 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

if I were you, I wouldn't get the car. That really sucks
Old 04-14-07, 07:14 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that looks horrible. Good luck getting this all fixed and let us know what happens. Hopefully this is not my dealerships work!
Old 04-14-07, 07:22 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Daisy... Wouldn't you be mad if you ordered XM radio and they gave you something off the shelf of Circuit City suction cupped to your windshield?

The parking sensor is virtually the same thing.

Not OE Products. Universal. Mislead. Originally Anticipated Original Equipment.!
Old 04-14-07, 07:25 AM
johnAboy
Driver

oh wow...that's hideous even more so being a white IS

hope everything gets worked out, and let us know what develops
Old 04-14-07, 07:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
should have known? WTH? THE DEALERSHIP SHOULD HAVE INFORMED HER. Especially if the modification could not easily be undone.

If i get parts from a lexus dealer, I expect quality parts. NOT TRASH

1) That is ridiculous that you blame her. She is a victim. Lexus, the corporation SHOULD hold THEIR dealership accountable for that monstrousity. If they dont, then they are as much to blame for liscensing that dealership as an authorized lexus dealership

2) What the dealer installed was not park assist. That was a back up navigator. The intentionally passed it off as OEM, to get the sale. If they couldnt do it or it was aftermarket they should have told her.

3) when you buy a car with options from the dealer, you expect OEM parts.

If I buy floormats with a toyota(some cars, these are options) I expect toyota floor mats. Not some floormats from target. Maybe thats to much to expect in your opinion. But that is crap. THIS is Lexus. And a big part of my buying a lexus was reputation.

4) you are totally insane, who goes to lexus buys a car and thinks they are going to get some cheap pos aftermarket items. IE, if I buy an IS with 17s and when I buy the car, they say they will install 18s... I expect oem 18s. Not TSW wheels.

The worst part is that they literally vandalized her car, to install those POS BACK UP sensors(not parking sensors)

5) I have to say this and I really mean it, you are being an --- for trying to blame her for this. I try my best to be civil, but that is completely and utterly ridiculous. WHO EXPECTS THAT CRAP WHEN THEY ORDER PARTS FROM THE DEALER. MAYBE IF I WERE BUYING A HYUNDAI.

IF LEXUS does not hold that dealer accountable, I WILL NEVER buy a lexus again. It will be a huge mark against them in my mind.

And maybe Lexus doesnt care about one customer, who bought 2 IS350s. But they may not care, when I say... my cousin/roomate bought an IS250 because of me. They may not care, when I say my friend Binh also bought an I350.... they may not care when I say my friend Thinh is looking at an IS as well. They may not care when I say my GF is looking for an RX next year.

BUt if you look at my small circle, thats 6 $40000 cars. or 240000. Word of mouth advertising that matters. And reputation matters. If this Rogue dealer-as you implied- is allowed to sully Lexus's reputation without consequences.... then whats stopping other dealers from pulling the same crap. LEXUS as a corp must keep their dealerships in line, otherwise, they as a corporation deserve to lose their reputation.
Yep! I'm with you 100% on this one. When Daisy inquired about Park Assist when she bought the car the response from her salesperson should have been something like this:

"I'm sorry, Daisy, but the Park Assist is a factory installed option only. However, there are aftermarket kits available. Would you be interested in seeing what these kits look like and how they work?"

This obviously did not happen and I believe that the dealer intentionally led her to believe that she was getting factory Lexus Park Assist. Her buyers order AND repair order both say Park Assist. How is Daisy supposed to know that Park Assist is a factory installed option only? She doesn't, and it was up to the dealer to tell her.
Old 04-14-07, 07:41 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

IF the dealership thinks that the back up sensors they mangled onto your car is acceptable,

tell them to take a bumper off of one of their new cars and swap it with yours. Then See if they can sell a new car with that junk latched onto the back.
Old 04-14-07, 08:00 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

I would be in jail right now if this was my car
Old 04-14-07, 08:16 AM
Daisy1
Rookie

Let me answer this one.... (I'm Daisy1 husband, by the way)

Park Assist is a trading mark of Lexus parking system with front and rear sensors and instrument cluster display (+ NAV display if car is NAV equipped).
Other brands have other unique names to call it...like for example Parktronic for Audi.

If I'm talking with the dealer about Park Assist option (especially when buying new car) I don't need to expect to be "blessed" with off color, cheap rear sensor beeper.

I wouldn't even complain if they would install aftermarket system with exact same fuctionality and color, but instead of Instrument cluster display and Nav display I have annoying beeper, instead of 6+ color matching sensors I have 2 not matching and sticking out of my bumper.

simply.....Lexus Park Assist ≠ cheap EchoMaster

Not to mention the fact that If I would be Lexus tech, the first thing after opening the box (and seeing black sensors for white car), I would call either my manager or client to let them instruct me further. Instead of that, my wife heard ....."if you didn't want black ones, you should ask for white sensors" !!!!!! Believe me....this tech is lucky that I was in the other room. Suprisingly other technictians agreed with me that it looks ugly and said that they see something like that for a first time.

It is just like those people who got XM radio after market and weren't happy with the results... You should have asked the dealer directly what it will look like and how comparable to the factory installed option it would be.
Our XM radio is aftermarket but it is working very well. We are not really picky and I suspect that if dealer would say that parking system is aftermarket but functionality is the same, I wouldn't even say a word. But this crap they installed is functionality-wise not even close. Lexus is using 6+ sensors for a reason and whoever sell Lexus should know that.

Originally Posted by tt061880
The dealership probably has no knowledge about this. I think it's your sale person screw you over because he/she wants to make this sale. I say all you need to do is call a manager there and things will be resolve, and make sure the manager you talk to know that you will call corporate if nothing gonna get done. Good luck with everything.
Actually I can't say a bad word about my sales person. He is really good guy and believe me, I have experience with other dealerships (and they are not good). I believe we are still want to stick with this dealer because of our sales guy. For now I would say this is more "missunderstanding" than wrong-doing and based on my today's call from them, they want to do right thing so I will definitely wait for the outcome.

Originally Posted by denIS200
I've done it myself on my '01 GS300, it looks like factory :

The kit was bought on eBay for about 130 dollars shipped.

Denis.
Thank you Denis for your pics. This is waaaay better looking sensors even thay are aftermarket.

To be honest, I'm in the marketing and multimedia business...that's why I know that installing PARK ASSIST especially on new Lexus equipped with NAV, shouldn't be a problem. Even if this is factory option you still should be able to get control box, 6 sensors, cable adapters and connect it to your car. I have seen it done with BMW, Mercedes and Audi so since Lexus seem to be more advanced technologicaly, I would assume that it is even easier to do it.

well ......it is my wife's call on this one. I would expect only two outcomes.....
....either retrofit of OEM Park Assist (which should be possible)
....or removing this EchoMaster, installing new bumper and refunding Park Assist option cost.

We will see, what is going to happen next.
Old 04-14-07, 08:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Daisy1
Park Assist is a trading mark of Lexus parking system with front and rear sensors and instrument cluster display (+ NAV display if car is NAV equipped).
Actually the OEM Lexus system is called "Intuitive Parking Assist". I'm surprised no one caught this. Seeing just Park Assist on the invoice/work order should have been a huge red flag.
Old 04-14-07, 08:33 AM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Actually the OEM Lexus system is called "Intuitive Parking Assist". I'm surprised no one caught this. Seeing just Park Assist on the invoice/work order should have been a huge red flag.
Park assist is a general Lexus parking system name.
They use Instuitive prefix because they just release self parking LS, so to avoid confusion they call it "Intuitive" for all other models.

Carmakers are really strick about those names because it part of the branding process.
That's why Audi promotes "Parktronic" or BMW promotes "Park Distance Control"

Either way this is not "EchoMaster" or "park sensor"

If you look to your manual you will see Park Assist feature description.
It is in Main manual (basic PARK ASSIST with display on instrument cluster) and in NAV manual (with additional display in upper right corner of NAV screen )

Last edited by Daisy1; 04-14-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 08:38 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

thats a good point. i wish you the best of luck getting this sorted out.

Quick Reply: ► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)