IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 08:41 AM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
should have known? WTH? THE DEALERSHIP SHOULD HAVE INFORMED HER. Especially if the modification could not easily be undone.

If i get parts from a lexus dealer, I expect quality parts. NOT TRASH

1) That is ridiculous that you blame her. She is a victim. Lexus, the corporation SHOULD hold THEIR dealership accountable for that monstrousity. If they dont, then they are as much to blame for liscensing that dealership as an authorized lexus dealership

2) What the dealer installed was not park assist. That was a back up navigator. The intentionally passed it off as OEM, to get the sale. If they couldnt do it or it was aftermarket they should have told her.

3) when you buy a car with options from the dealer, you expect OEM parts.

If I buy floormats with a toyota(some cars, these are options) I expect toyota floor mats. Not some floormats from target. Maybe thats to much to expect in your opinion. But that is crap. THIS is Lexus. And a big part of my buying a lexus was reputation.

4) you are totally insane, who goes to lexus buys a car and thinks they are going to get some cheap pos aftermarket items. IE, if I buy an IS with 17s and when I buy the car, they say they will install 18s... I expect oem 18s. Not TSW wheels.

The worst part is that they literally vandalized her car, to install those POS BACK UP sensors(not parking sensors)

5) I have to say this and I really mean it, you are being an --- for trying to blame her for this. I try my best to be civil, but that is completely and utterly ridiculous. WHO EXPECTS THAT CRAP WHEN THEY ORDER PARTS FROM THE DEALER. MAYBE IF I WERE BUYING A HYUNDAI.

IF LEXUS does not hold that dealer accountable, I WILL NEVER buy a lexus again. It will be a huge mark against them in my mind.

And maybe Lexus doesnt care about one customer, who bought 2 IS350s. But they may not care, when I say... my cousin/roomate bought an IS250 because of me. They may not care, when I say my friend Binh also bought an I350.... they may not care when I say my friend Thinh is looking at an IS as well. They may not care when I say my GF is looking for an RX next year.

BUt if you look at my small circle, thats 6 $40000 cars. or 240000. Word of mouth advertising that matters. And reputation matters. If this Rogue dealer-as you implied- is allowed to sully Lexus's reputation without consequences.... then whats stopping other dealers from pulling the same crap. LEXUS as a corp must keep their dealerships in line, otherwise, they as a corporation deserve to lose their reputation.
100% agreed. Service is practically the essence of Lexus. whats next? a fwd bi-turbo'd rotary in the next Ferrari??

Daisy1, please release the name and location of the dealership that misrepresented Lexus in such a crude way. ^again word of mouth is abs. essential. spread the word by copying and pasting your story on other forums; oh and print the replies and attach it to the complaint letter headed towards corporate.
Old 04-14-07, 08:44 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Actually the OEM Lexus system is called "Intuitive Parking Assist". I'm surprised no one caught this. Seeing just Park Assist on the invoice/work order should have been a huge red flag.

I was just about to post the same thing. Sorry even Lexus' website with options for the IS calls it "Intuitive Park Assist."

BMW, Honda, and GM products too call their parking systems Park Assist. Like I said earlier, I personally would have still asked. "This is going to be OEM, riiiiight?"

Intuitive Parking Assist $500 [3]

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

Honestly you can say what you will! I still stand by what I said.. although I understand your point. I still feel as if she should have asked. I would have asked! I would not EXPECT anything from the dealer other than OEM and I would have made sure that the dealer was aware of that. Lexus does pride itself on service that is why they have choice dealerships that excell more than others! There is always going to be that one dealership that tries to rip you off.. thus the reason that we as a consumer shouldn't be allowed to be tricked. There is no harm in being informed.

This isn't the first time a dealership has done this! And like I have said before, especially to those people who had XM issues, you should have asked!

You better believe that when I purchase anything for my car or get work done on my car I ask and make sure that what I am paying for is Genuine OEM Toyta/Lexus parts. Call me OCD but.. I just want to make sure in the event ANYTHING goes wrong there is no back tracking on the dealer's part.

But, like I said! I would like to think the dealership would make this right -- Lexus Corporate can't control what dealerships do but they can hurt what cars are allocated to them.

Last edited by IS_Mine; 04-14-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:02 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
But, like I said! I would like to think the dealership would make this right -- Lexus Corporate can't control what dealerships do but they can hurt what cars are allocated to them.

What they installed isnt even "Park Assist" Even if its not OEM lexus, they installed some goofy back up sensor that belongs on a Dodge Magnum truck or something.

Regardless. Lexus can put their dealerships in check, by punishing the allocations, and probably worse. If they dont... then Lexus deserves to have their reputation sullied by these "Rogue" Dealers.

Lexus is a premium brand. We pay a premium price. She, you and I should all have high expectations. Lexus was built on Customer service.

If they dont hold dealerships accountable for the services they provide on behalf of Lexus.... Then they will lose their reputation, and rightfully so.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-14-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:04 AM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by tt061880
The dealership probably has no knowledge about this. I think it's your sale person screw you over because he/she wants to make this sale. I say all you need to do is call a manager there and things will be resolve, and make sure the manager you talk to know that you will call corporate if nothing gonna get done. Good luck with everything.
Actually in this case it may be te other way around. I believe it seems like our sales person is trying to resolve this problem and the management is fooling around.
Old 04-14-07, 09:08 AM
Daisy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yep! I'm with you 100% on this one. When Daisy inquired about Park Assist when she bought the car the response from her salesperson should have been something like this:

"I'm sorry, Daisy, but the Park Assist is a factory installed option only. However, there are aftermarket kits available. Would you be interested in seeing what these kits look like and how they work?"

This obviously did not happen and I believe that the dealer intentionally led her to believe that she was getting factory Lexus Park Assist. Her buyers order AND repair order both say Park Assist. How is Daisy supposed to know that Park Assist is a factory installed option only? She doesn't, and it was up to the dealer to tell her.
^ tha's exactly what I feel they should've done is tell me that the it is a different product. My sales person even pointed to another park assist vehicle and said that this is what they are going to do.threfore i didn't question the product. When I saw the car yesterday i almost fainted and my husband didn't know what to say it seemed like our sales rep. was speechless too.
Old 04-14-07, 09:10 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly you can say what you will! I still stand by what I said.. although I understand your point. I still feel as if she should have asked. I would have asked! I would not EXPECT anything from the dealer other than OEM and I would have made sure that the dealer was aware of that. Lexus does pride itself on service that is why they have choice dealerships that excell more than others! There is always going to be that one dealership that tries to rip you off.. thus the reason that we as a consumer shouldn't be allowed to be tricked. There is no harm in being informed.

This isn't the first time a dealership has done this! And like I have said before, especially to those people who had XM issues, you should have asked!

You better believe that when I purchase anything for my car or get work done on my car I ask and make sure that what I am paying for is Genuine OEM Toyta/Lexus parts. Call me OCD but.. I just want to make sure in the event ANYTHING goes wrong there is no back tracking on the dealer's part.

I agree with you up to a point. But it comes down to what should be expected by a REASONABLE individual. When the buyer is negotiating a new car purchase and the dealer says 'we can install Park Assist' there is an expectation that the buyer will get new OEM Lexus parts with OEM functionality. Yes, Daisy could have probed the issue to close the loop on what she would be getting, but because she didn't does not alter the fact she was misled (intentionally it would seem) by the dealer. You can't excuse what she got by her lack of questioning. For example, if she had wanted the ground effects kit she should not have to ask whether these parts would be OEM rather than some cheap knockoff. There is an expectation that any reasonable person would expect OEM parts. It's the same thing when you take your car in for service. Do you ask if all parts will be OEM? Or if the oil will be new from a factory container and not some used oil they sourced at some used oil place? Probably not, because there are expectations in the transaction. Kudos for you for asking a lot of questions, but it shouldn't have been necessary in this case. Daisy and her husband got snookered. Let's hope Lexus will step up to the plate and fix it. They should.
Old 04-14-07, 09:17 AM
ngogsr
Driver

dang Lexus service is going down the drain.........
Old 04-14-07, 09:25 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Daisy1,

As your husband mentioned previously, your XM radio is aftermarket as well? Are you implying the Vaistech Satellite Kit?

Regardless of which, I would plead for OEM XM Satellite Radio, not Aftermarket.

The OEM XM Satellite Radio utilizes the Shark Fin Antenna which you have on the roof of your car, where Aftermarket typically utilizes some magnetic form antenna which is mounted on the trunk or rear dash.

Reliability? OEM XM Satellite Radio will have by far better reception.

If i were in your position, I would demand all OEM parts because that's what I would anticipate at the time of purchase, otherwise it was mentioned at the time of purchase.

Very sad ordeal I would say.

Goodluck and keep us updated.

BTW, have you tried BBB?
Old 04-14-07, 09:27 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow they tried to pull a fast one on you! that's kinda like someone ordering their is with "nav" and the dealer giving them a non-nav model and throwing in a garmin dashmount navigation unit and calling that "nav." technically they did get nav right? please keep us informed of the outcome of this. i'm very interested to see what happens next...
Old 04-14-07, 09:30 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
wow they tried to pull a fast one on you! that's kinda like someone ordering their is with "nav" and the dealer giving them a non-nav model and throwing in a garmin dashmount navigation unit and calling that "nav." technically they did get nav right? please keep us informed of the outcome of this. i'm very interested to see what happens next...
Another Great Example!

Or for the 06 Owners... If you opted for the High Intensity Discharge, they install McCulloch HID Kit.

LOL
Old 04-14-07, 09:36 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF...I thought you are getting the LEXUS PARK ASSIST! In my case the PARK ASSIST is also aftermarket but the finish is so prefer color code paint sensors (Three of them) and the beeping sound integrated with the original R gear beep sound, I am so happy with it!

And I could tell you that even a Yaris here in macao has much better Park assist than yours!
Old 04-14-07, 09:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

OK! Let me make something clear.

Dealerships are run by owners and managers. Not Salesmen.

Salesmen are only there to make the deal with you on what you want and how much you want to spend. That's It.

The Finance guys take care of your payment plan and APR.

The manager makes the final decision on your bottom price is. Not the Sales reps.

The owners are the ring leaders who should be in charge of the conduct that goes on in their dealerships.

Sometimes they don't know some of the shady things some managers pull off.

But for the most part, they are in the loop or setting the code of conducts themselves.

There are good and bad salesreps too.

In this case, I believe it is the brass that is effing with you.

Poor salesreps don't have a say in anything and don't even earn good money.

If I were you daisy, since you were so specific from the start, I'd have screamed my brains out until they either got me a new car (w/ the options u wanted) or replace it with a better one from their lot for no extra cost. Or 1% higher bottom line cost for a fuly equipped one lol ;D
Old 04-14-07, 09:43 AM
Daisy1
Rookie

I was just about to post the same thing. Sorry even Lexus' website with options for the IS calls it "Intuitive Park Assist."

BMW, Honda, and GM products too call their parking systems Park Assist. Like I said earlier, I personally would have still asked. "This is going to be OEM, riiiiight?"

It is Daisy1 husband again.....

...if you want to ba that precise...when I walk in to Lexus dealership I don't expect to get nothing else but OEM Lexus product. By the law I need to be informed if that particular part is aftermarket and I need to agree to that. As I said before I would probably agree especially if functionality is the same, but it is not. Not even close.

Dealer simply can not decide what I want if

Regarding name of the option....as I said before. "Intuitive" is just a prefix used to separate Full featured Park Assist offered in LS class from IS basic one. I'm in marketing / media / advertising business and this is common practice to register and/or use close variations of the product name. If you open your manual you will see that even Lexus is calling it few different names depends on configuration:

....and regardless of the name...we bought parking system option (from the link you pointed out) for new Lexus vehicle based on its functionality, which is stated in the manual and on Lexus web site. It was never mentioned that we will get something else.

Honestly you can say what you will! I still stand by what I said.. although I understand your point. I still feel as if she should have asked. I would have asked!
BMW call it DPC (Distance Park Controll) and sorry if I did not understood but walking to Lexus dealership you expect to get aftermarket cheap parking beeper instead of OEM parking system? Just because parking system could be widely interpretted???? Not sure about your "logic" here, but if I folow it, I guess I should expect BMW dealership to give me this club instear of iDrive navigation...

I was "played" by Audi dealer before (ended up winning big settlement) and believe me I went through all legal issues and I know how to respond to that if this is intentional act.

Originally Posted by istundra
Daisy1,

As your husband mentioned previously, your XM radio is aftermarket as well? Are you implying the Vaistech Satellite Kit?

Regardless of which, I would plead for OEM XM Satellite Radio, not Aftermarket.

The OEM XM Satellite Radio utilizes the Shark Fin Antenna which you have on the roof of your car, where Aftermarket typically utilizes some magnetic form antenna which is mounted on the trunk or rear dash.

Reliability? OEM XM Satellite Radio will have by far better reception.

If i were in your position, I would demand all OEM parts because that's what I would anticipate at the time of purchase, otherwise it was mentioned at the time of purchase.

Very sad ordeal I would say.

Goodluck and keep us updated.

BTW, have you tried BBB?
It could be Vaistech but we are OK with that. I was even told that XM tuner could be aftermarket part but since functionality match 100% Lexus system, I have no complains. If they would install stick on XM radio I would'n accept but dhey did not so no problem here.

As to BBB comment...we are not going to go futher until we will hear from the dealer about how they want to fix it. Our overall experience with them is very good and they seem to be great people with good service. Everyone can make a mistake ...the only remaining question is what kind of approach they'll choose. Our sales person is very helpful andresponsive (I wish that all sales guys were like that) as well as one of the managers we talk to...... so I still have faith in them

Last edited by Daisy1; 04-14-07 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Horrible!!! And I can't believe the dealer was arguing with you about park assist NOT being an option!!! What lies!!! They also told you that the manual was a "first printing" and was wrong?!?!?

CALL CORPORATE!! You should get a new car with park assist, and 3 years free maintenance for being lied to and swindled... At the very least... I'd be furious if the dealership lied to me and ripped me off like that...

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!
Old 04-14-07, 09:48 AM
istundra
Pole Position

I am still iffy about you being OK with an aftermarket XM tuner.

Did you know that aftermarket XM tuners are prone to problems?

Such as signal fading out or freezing on you while in-use.

Does your aftermerket XM tuner utilize the sharkfin antenna? If not, more potential issues in the long run.

If i were you, I would address those issues as well.

Quick Reply: ► Park assist nightmare [pictures] (dealer installs e-bay crap, not park assist)