IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Annoying rattling

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 12:50 PM
inLine4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattling

Before I go take my car to Lexus and have them rip apart everything for nothing, I wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this problem. I only have 3800 miles on my car and ive just discovered that there is an annoying rattling sound in the back of my car. Took everything out and drove, still rattling, had my friend ride in the back, still rattling. It kinda sounds like 2 plastics rubbing against each other. Checked if everything was tighten down. Nothing is loose. Suggestions?
Old 04-14-07, 12:54 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I just experienced some rattling yesterday, too, with nothing in the car. It sounded more in the middle-front of the car, though. I didn't notice it today, so maybe it's gone. Hopefully.
Old 04-14-07, 12:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inLine4
Before I go take my car to Lexus and have them rip apart everything for nothing, I wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this problem. I only have 3800 miles on my car and ive just discovered that there is an annoying rattling sound in the back of my car. Took everything out and drove, still rattling, had my friend ride in the back, still rattling. It kinda sounds like 2 plastics rubbing against each other. Checked if everything was tighten down. Nothing is loose. Suggestions?
First, check and see if it's the rear deck (near the 3rd brake light) that's making the noise... I bet it is... there is a very poor "seal" between the rear deck and the frame of the car... It just sort of "sits" there...

Add lots of foam under the rear deck... That's why I had done... Back of the car is now whisper quiet...
Old 04-14-07, 01:51 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have on 3500 miles on mine and I noticed two new rattles and one metal vibrating sound at the passenger side. The rattle by my left ear on the driver's window is still there after three trips to the dealer. I do regret taking my car there. My driver door does not open or close like the other.

If you've done all that and still could not find the problem, don't take it to the dealer. They will not do anything more than what you've already done. I am considering writing to Lexus about how disapointed I am in their product. I also filled out a survey earlier this year about the car to Lexus's R&D dept. I am think about selling the car while it is still new.
Old 04-14-07, 01:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had some noises but mine is when its really cold out??? but i turn up the radio so you cant hear it!!!! that will take care of any noise that you are hearing. this will take less time and be much more enjoyable.

Give it a try!
Old 04-14-07, 02:06 PM
eddo1
Driver

I have a rattle develop recently form the passenger seat. When someone is sitting on it, the rattle is gone. I can reproduce the rattle by rapidly banging on the seat. I think it's some of the heating/cooling components under the seat causing the issue. Probably will have the dealer look at it next visit.
Old 04-14-07, 03:11 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Same back seat 'plastic on plastic' sound I have had recently. Noticed the last few days when the weather was warmer that it was not so obvious.
Old 04-16-07, 05:16 AM
inLine4
Pole Position

i guess im not the only one...sigh..
Old 05-05-07, 11:02 AM
trdfm
Driver School Candidate

Default Back seat rattling

I have the same platic-on-plastic or leather-on-leather sounding rattle coming from the back of the car. It only does it sometimes, but can be really loud when it does it. It is driving me beserk.
Old 05-05-07, 11:27 AM
trio
Driver

Originally Posted by eddo1
I have a rattle develop recently form the passenger seat. When someone is sitting on it, the rattle is gone. I can reproduce the rattle by rapidly banging on the seat. I think it's some of the heating/cooling components under the seat causing the issue. Probably will have the dealer look at it next visit.
i have the same issue. if i move the seat all the way to the back or front, the noise is gone. very strange. nothing appears to be loose either...
Old 05-05-07, 11:35 AM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by inLine4
i guess im not the only one...sigh..
Check this thread out link
the sound turns from a plastic on plastic to a plastic on metal then to a foam on foam.the only way this is going to get fixed is if we all take this problem to the dealer one of these dealers will find the problem and then they can compare notes.Where in texas do you live?
Old 05-05-07, 12:45 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Its pretty shocking how many squeaks/rattles/noises keep popping up. Granted the car is very quite so maybe the sounds are more noticeable but still these noises wouldnt be acceptable in a $20K car let alone one $40+k.
Old 05-05-07, 12:49 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I fixed all my rattles myself! I can now enjoy the silence.
Old 05-05-07, 12:52 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I fixed all my rattles myself! I can now enjoy the silence.
Im gonna have to do that. But for the moonroof...dealer better take care of that, hopefully I can deal with it for the next couple months till the 5k service comes up.
Old 05-05-07, 12:59 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

The moonroof was the easiest to fix. Do a search on my post "3M lubricant wet type".

Don't let the dealer monkey with your roof assembly.

Quick Reply: Annoying rattling