IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calif. Special Order Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07 | 01:25 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The Germans pride themselves on this. You can special order any Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or Porschse. In fact, a significant amount of sales from those companies come from special orders, and sometimes options are only available when you special order. You can also easily special order from Cadillac, Mini, Saab, and Volvo.

The difference is that European manufactures tend to offer a much wider array of engine choices, drivetrains, colours, and options than Japanese and American manufactures, so there is a lot more customiziation and it is harder to find exactly what you want. It is much easier for Lexus dealer to keep a good mix of IS with the different option/color combos than for BMW to keep a good mix of 3-Series. The IS comes in four drivetrain/bodystyle combos. The 3-Series comes in eighteen. Lexus also puts the most popular options into packages, while European makers rely less on packages and more on individual options (though they have been moving more towards packages lately, especially Mercedes-Benz).
Opps, sorry. Yes, on highend euro models.. that I believe!
But still, dealers will try to sell what ever they can get a hold of first and take our money in the speedy maner.

Again, for those who received their "special ordered" 2Is, I am glad you had a great sales rep locked in your rides. I never want to understand the detail when my buddy at dealer try to explain me how they receive cars from manufacturer and swap (or transfer) cars between dealerships, but I know there was not really a process to get them to do build-by-order.

I guess waiting for the one is the process as ordering the special one. It makes more sense when one ordered "no bumper holes" but on the pick up date, the salesman gave a lot of "oops" because it was transfered or delivered as-is.

I am sure there are peeps here know transactions behind the counter more than I do. Hey, it is good to have a speical one! It means everything when you get it.
Old 04-18-07 | 11:24 AM
Mike V

Well I special ordered my 350 the first of March so I was wondering how long until I hear that its in progress or something.. The three or four months doesn't bother me.

Mike V
Old 04-18-07 | 11:29 AM
wushuboy
Driver

probably not until the last month
Old 04-18-07 | 01:42 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Opps, sorry. Yes, on highend euro models.. that I believe!
But still, dealers will try to sell what ever they can get a hold of first and take our money in the speedy maner.
Agreed with the latter part, dealers much rather get your money in a speedy manner. Though special orders are not limited to the high-end models. Many 3-Series are special ordered (including more than half of the coupe/convertibles), and so are more than half of all Mini Coopers.

The ones that are special ordered the least tend to be the mid-range (E/5/A6) models and SUVs. The low-range models, usually bought by younger buyers who are more inclined to wait for exactly what they want. A large number of C/3/A3/A4 sales are special order.
Old 04-24-07 | 01:13 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StanISlove
I am so pissed. Because I ordered on December 9, 2006 and they still have no information. So I guess my 4 month will be more like 5 month or more. All they say is "please be patient" but I've been pretty patient for like 4 month now. I want my car!!!

I ordered with Stevens Creek in Nor Cal.

UGHHHH. : (
Sounds a little fishy to me. I special ordered mine in early Feb. I now heard today that it will be built in May.

I think you might be getting jerked around. The reason for the 4-5 month wait is that you have to "get in line" behind others who special ordered and/or only certian models/combos are built at certain times of the year.

There's no reason you haven't heard anything.
Old 04-24-07 | 04:03 PM
StanISlove
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Sounds a little fishy to me. I special ordered mine in early Feb. I now heard today that it will be built in May.

I think you might be getting jerked around. The reason for the 4-5 month wait is that you have to "get in line" behind others who special ordered and/or only certian models/combos are built at certain times of the year.

There's no reason you haven't heard anything.
I don't even know what to do...
I ordered IS250, Black on Black with Luxury and ML. It seems pretty natural combo to me for people who do not need speed but want the luxury of 350...

I wish there was something I could do.
Old 04-24-07 | 05:45 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

I ordered IS250, Black on Black with Luxury and ML. It seems pretty natural combo to me for people who do not need speed but want the luxury of 350...

I wish there was something I could do.
You're in California, aren't you? You have a lot of choices, call around. You are right, that combo shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 04-24-07 | 08:21 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Most IS 250 are the cheap Premium combos, not Lux, hence the difficulty in getting one.
Old 04-25-07 | 05:07 PM
StanISlove
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Most IS 250 are the cheap Premium combos, not Lux, hence the difficulty in getting one.
exactly my point. Plus I wanted ML and 250 does not come with that without special order.

Man this sucks.