IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calif. Special Order Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 10:12 AM
Mike V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calif. Special Order Question.

How long did it take to get any info on your order. I ordered about 5 weeks ago and they still don't have any info in the computer...

Thanks

Mike V
Old 04-15-07, 10:47 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Mike... What and where did you order?
Old 04-15-07, 10:54 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

it took about 10 weeks to get any info, and the car arrived 2 weeks after that.
Old 04-15-07, 11:06 AM
Mike V

350 from Lexus Carlsbad the second week of March...

Mike V

Last edited by Mike V; 04-15-07 at 11:06 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-15-07, 11:13 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

You mean a special order a vehicle from Lex dealer?
It really depends on the how aggressive is your salesman. There is not really a special order vehilce. I personally don't think any manufacture takes dedicated order to build for any customer.

If you meet up an aggressive salesman, he/she will try the best to transfer a best matching one in the available list amoung all dealers' inventory (or near by dealers) to satisfy you. Of course it will be as "special order" as it can be, and more likely the price will be stiff since the car is a "special order" as the way you want it.

The peeps at dealer will try their best to change your mind for something close matching with what you want, or maybe put up words like "those options/combination are not available for this state". Watch out on that because most of time they want to sell you a existing model that is already in-stock. The best thing to do is shopping around existing models in different dealer, and just pick one out from parking lot and ask for its offer.

Good luck with your "speical order"!
Old 04-15-07, 11:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

why the ""quotes""? It is a special order or "preferenced" process.
Old 04-15-07, 11:36 AM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i placed a special order at Crown Lexus... and four months passed and still no information so i gave up
Old 04-15-07, 12:25 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the dealer where I brought my car two days ago. They had only two IS350 on the lot and one of them is sold at full MSRP. The saleman told me that IS350 are hard to get now. Makes me happy that I goit mine when I did. It took two weeks for me.
Old 04-17-07, 12:24 PM
Mike V

Thanks, to the people who actually knew there was such a thing as a special order. You others that want me to know that there are 350s on the lot..
back to the cartoons..

Mike V
Old 04-17-07, 02:18 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car was a true special order, meaning it wasn't just some picked up in transit, relocated vehicle. Took 4 months June 12th-October 10th. Orders go in on the 15th so if you special ordered right now, the factory wouldn't get it until next 15th.
Old 04-17-07, 03:39 PM
StanISlove
Driver School Candidate

I am so pissed. Because I ordered on December 9, 2006 and they still have no information. So I guess my 4 month will be more like 5 month or more. All they say is "please be patient" but I've been pretty patient for like 4 month now. I want my car!!!

I ordered with Stevens Creek in Nor Cal.

UGHHHH. : (
Old 04-17-07, 04:01 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StanISlove
I am so pissed. Because I ordered on December 9, 2006 and they still have no information. So I guess my 4 month will be more like 5 month or more. All they say is "please be patient" but I've been pretty patient for like 4 month now. I want my car!!!

I ordered with Stevens Creek in Nor Cal.

UGHHHH. : (
make sure you tell them not to drill the front plate because they LOVE doing this, even when you tell them 10 times not to.
Old 04-17-07, 05:47 PM
Mike V

Originally Posted by Julez
make sure you tell them not to drill the front plate because they LOVE doing this, even when you tell them 10 times not to.
Thanks Julez for the order info.
I had them write it on the P.O. about the front plate, but I am going to remind them again.
This car is going to Arizona in a few months and they don't require a front plate or smog checks in Mohave county.

Mike V
Old 04-17-07, 06:49 PM
wushuboy
Driver

mine was also a special order. I went in late nov and got my car early march so it's about a 4 month wait. I never received any info until late february when the dealer told me it was on the ship being transported. so then it was bout a week after that when i finally picked it up.
Old 04-17-07, 06:58 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by josephdoc
You mean a special order a vehicle from Lex dealer?
It really depends on the how aggressive is your salesman. There is not really a special order vehilce. I personally don't think any manufacture takes dedicated order to build for any customer.
The Germans pride themselves on this. You can special order any Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or Porschse. In fact, a significant amount of sales from those companies come from special orders, and sometimes options are only available when you special order. You can also easily special order from Cadillac, Mini, Saab, and Volvo.

The difference is that European manufactures tend to offer a much wider array of engine choices, drivetrains, colours, and options than Japanese and American manufactures, so there is a lot more customiziation and it is harder to find exactly what you want. It is much easier for Lexus dealer to keep a good mix of IS with the different option/color combos than for BMW to keep a good mix of 3-Series. The IS comes in four drivetrain/bodystyle combos. The 3-Series comes in eighteen. Lexus also puts the most popular options into packages, while European makers rely less on packages and more on individual options (though they have been moving more towards packages lately, especially Mercedes-Benz).

Quick Reply: Calif. Special Order Question.