IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Q on foam to fix rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07 | 08:04 AM
trio
Driver

Default Q on foam to fix rattles

For those who used foam to fix their dash rattles etc, what kind of foam did you use? I really don't want to bring my car to the dealer for this issue since I don't really trust them. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-18-07 | 12:10 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Who used foam to fix their dash rattles? Seems like it would be painful to remove the dash yourself.

I have this same issue and my dealership said they repadded the dash but my rattle is still in my drivers side vent like I told them! Grrr! Anyone fixed that yet?
Old 04-18-07 | 12:39 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Foam seems to be the consensus fix for everyone (dealers included) that has solved this problem:

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253467
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246977
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191048

...among other threads you can check for more info.
Javier
Old 04-18-07 | 12:52 PM
trio
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Who used foam to fix their dash rattles? Seems like it would be painful to remove the dash yourself.

I have this same issue and my dealership said they repadded the dash but my rattle is still in my drivers side vent like I told them! Grrr! Anyone fixed that yet?
I thought I had a rattle/squeak by my vent as well. It turned out to be the top part of the dash by the instrument cluster. I tightened up the two screws and so far (knock on wood), the noise there has stopped.
Old 04-18-07 | 01:11 PM
JT2MA71

My rattle is coming from the center top of the dash, right at the speaker grill. I took that grill off to see what's up but I can't feel anything loose inside that hole. Although if I press slightly on that part of the dash, the rattle goes away. Anybody had the same issue? I am thinking of using the foam trick but it looks like it will need a good sized one. Trio, where are these screws exactly?
Old 04-18-07 | 01:32 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

rattles everywhere! decided to always listen to my music loud so i don't hear them anymore.
Old 04-18-07 | 02:03 PM
trio
Driver

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
My rattle is coming from the center top of the dash, right at the speaker grill. I took that grill off to see what's up but I can't feel anything loose inside that hole. Although if I press slightly on that part of the dash, the rattle goes away. Anybody had the same issue? I am thinking of using the foam trick but it looks like it will need a good sized one. Trio, where are these screws exactly?
Look at the first post on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=274025

You will see in the pic, the two screws on the top of the instrument cluster. Whenever I hit a bump, the rubbing of the dash and the plastic part of the cluster would create a rattle/squeaking noise. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from for like 2 months. Just apply some pressure to the dash in that area. If you hear something, tighten it up a little.
Old 04-18-07 | 02:09 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I had that too - take it to your dealer, it's a known fault and there is an easy cure - takes about 15 mins for them to fix it. I've had no problems since.
Old 04-18-07 | 06:37 PM
is250rulez
Rookie

Originally Posted by trio
For those who used foam to fix their dash rattles etc, what kind of foam did you use? I really don't want to bring my car to the dealer for this issue since I don't really trust them. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think you should reconsider. So , if u know what type of foam, u will fix the rattle yourself? This is kinda dangerous too, cuz if they know you did probably your Waranty will give u an issue if finally you bring to them. Think.

I had the dashboard rattle, I brough to dealer they fixed for 2 days and they seem pretty nice to me. And now I start to fall in love with IS again. Just my 2 cents. Love y'all.
Old 04-18-07 | 07:35 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

My rattle came from the center vents and they replaced it after 4 visits to the dealer.
Old 04-18-07 | 09:34 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

You peeps might not know but the side vents rattles may be due to the plastic tray right under the glove box (beneath the knee airbacks). The tray is help up by clips. Just open up and put something inside...

I did it and it's works...
Old 04-18-07 | 10:17 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

i have a popping noise in my dash somewhere sounds like a rock hitting the windshield type of noise. It happens when the temperature changes like when the dash sits in the sun for a while. I've read on the boards some others have the same popping sound in the dash. Does anyone know if this is part of the same problem?
Old 05-04-07 | 09:07 AM
JT2MA71

Default fixed mine...

The dash rattle i was getting was from the center speaker grill area. I popped that off and stuffed a ~8"x3"x1" piece of high dense foam vertically down the speaker mount hole with the end barely sticking out so that when the grill is put back on, it pushes it down. Well so far, dash has been quiet. I did go to the dealer and asked them about it, they said they will have to take the dash out and I didn't like the idea. Hope this helps out somebody with the same issue. Ron
Old 05-30-07 | 08:24 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

wait, I have a squeaking squiggle noise like a toy makes coming from my passenger side dashboard. is everyone else just a plastic on plastic rattle?

I have 1,680 miles now and I recently started hearing this over medium to large bumps.

Plus I'm going to get the tsb done for the windshield "Crack" noise.

I have the 2007 IS 250 AWD. I picked it up March 28.
Old 05-30-07 | 02:38 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReLexin
rattles everywhere! decided to always listen to my music loud so i don't hear them anymore.

haha me too.

my only rattle is the one that always happens when people ride shotgun. they sit there and their left leg hits the center console and creates a popping sound. It pisses me off and i then kick them out of my car and make them walk home.

Quick Reply: Q on foam to fix rattles