IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

250 vs. 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 10:30 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joonsta

Please don't. It's shallow and almost pathetic. You will be scoffed at.

Also, I bet most of the CL members here can tell if your car's a 350 or not without looking at the emblems.

We have ways...
350's have BBK....
Old 04-19-07, 10:31 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbenji
I dont see how having NAV adds any luxury to the car...its definitely adds utility and great covenience but luxury no. I thought nav was the poop when I first got it....but now I never use it. I can definitely see why some people would opt not having NAV, to some people its not really baller status to throw money on something you will never use.

I dont use the NAV either, but I do use bluetooth and voice activation. Not only that, but i'd much rather control everything in the car with touch screen (climate, audio)

I agree that navigation doesn't add true "luxury"...but you can't deny that it adds resale value.

This, and the fact that on the thread "what factory option do you regret not buying", most people regretted not getting the NAV...making me believe that most people wanted it but didn't.
Old 04-19-07, 10:38 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy

I agree that navigation doesn't add true "luxury"...but you can't deny that it adds resale value.
yes it does add resale value but you still paid 3-4k more, therefore you lose money
Old 04-19-07, 10:42 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

^^

I don't consider it lost money; I don't think anyone who has a NAV considers it lost money simply because it is so useful. :P

But hey other luxory cars look at us too, even if we have the 350 as folks just trying to break into the luxory market too. We're no better than 250 owners, we just are MUCH faster. :P
Old 04-19-07, 10:49 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

I dont use the NAV either, but I do use bluetooth and voice activation. Not only that, but i'd much rather control everything in the car with touch screen (climate, audio)

This, and the fact that on the thread "what factory option do you regret not buying", most people regretted not getting the NAV...making me believe that most people wanted it but didn't.
most people regret not getting the 100hp option
Old 04-19-07, 10:55 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I think NAV hurts relative resale value. Let's say your residual after 3 years is 55%. I doubt the current generation Nav will command 55% of its original price in 3 years, as the technology/cost efficiency for the NAV will advance much quicker than general car technology.

I know on some cars, the ones with more option packages, the lease residual value is lower.
Old 04-19-07, 10:57 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I can be of some help, I recently traded in my 2006 Tungsten Pearl IS250 for the 2007 Black Sapphire IS 350, the reason being is because I wanted that extra power and to compete with some of the other guys on the street. In addition I ranked up 47,000 miles in a year,so it was time for a trade, I know you are probably asking where was I driving, but it happens!

The only difference to me is the engine, some say my 350 looks larger than my 350 but I think its the dark color, but truthfully you only notice the difference in the power when you first get the car. Once you drive it for a month you get used to the power and it feels no different from driving the IS250, unless you punch it, which reminds everytime that this is a 350 and not a 250!

Just because I switched to the 350 I don't think that I am better than anyone that drives the 250 because there's no significance difference between the two cars ($2,000 difference). If I drove a Mercedes SLR I think I might feel a little different. LOL
Old 04-19-07, 11:00 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Actually, I think NAV hurts relative resale value. Let's say your residual after 3 years is 55%. I doubt the current generation Nav will command 55% of its original price in 3 years, as the technology/cost efficiency for the NAV will advance much quicker than general car technology.

I know on some cars, the ones with more option packages, the lease residual value is lower.
NAV in our cars certainly will.. being that A. it is touch screen and B. you can still update the maps. C. The car comes with a back up cam and the added cool factor is worth a grand. :P
Old 04-19-07, 11:23 AM
illawgical
Driver

People have reasons for buying one or the other... doesn't make the 350 better than the 250.... unless they came out with a 6MT AWD is350 :-P J/K
Old 04-19-07, 12:33 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

if there is one thing i noticed at the meets~ people like to talk down on the 250 or when they talk about it.. it's in a derogatory way. not all the time, but it happens a lot. some of you guys are real cocky man

Last edited by ihkskim; 04-19-07 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 02:10 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
Maybe I can be of some help, I recently traded in my 2006 Tungsten Pearl IS250 for the 2007 Black Sapphire IS 350, the reason being is because I wanted that extra power and to compete with some of the other guys on the street. In addition I ranked up 47,000 miles in a year,so it was time for a trade, I know you are probably asking where was I driving, but it happens!

The only difference to me is the engine, some say my 350 looks larger than my 350 but I think its the dark color, but truthfully you only notice the difference in the power when you first get the car. Once you drive it for a month you get used to the power and it feels no different from driving the IS250, unless you punch it, which reminds everytime that this is a 350 and not a 250!

Just because I switched to the 350 I don't think that I am better than anyone that drives the 250 because there's no significance difference between the two cars ($2,000 difference). If I drove a Mercedes SLR I think I might feel a little different. LOL
$2,000 difference? Are you comparing the 350 with the 250awd? no need for awd in tx. It's more like a $4300 difference. And even more if you get the 250manual. And even more because you can get better deals buying a 250.
Old 04-19-07, 02:31 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS is not a sports car. Wake up from your dreams.

I bought my IS, knowing that it's a luxurious car with a bit of sportiness mixed in.

If I wanted a fast car that performs, I would've easily and gladly coughed up more money for a BMW 335i.

And that thing would kill any IS 350, except for the heavily modded IS'.

But the Bimmers lack cushion for my tooshie, and definitely doesn't have many luxurious amenities featured in the IS.

Now why did I choose the 250 over the 350?

I can get all the luxuries the IS 350 has, without the extra performance that is totally useless in LA traffic and against a BMW.

And again, all I'm looking for is luxury with a tad bit of sportiness. That's what the IS is, and what the BMW is not (BMW would be the opposite, sportiness > luxury) .

Would I enjoy an extra 102 HP? YES!

But can you beat the bang per buck when you can get an IS 250 for $33,300 OTD? NO.
Old 04-19-07, 03:43 PM
Rasengan
Rookie

wow, seriously, don't do that...don't change the emblem on your 250 to a 350...i mean, are you really that insecure? does pretending you have a 350 make you feel that much better about yourself? might as well take the "Lexus" off also and change it to Ferrari or a Lamborghini

in the end it's all in your head...no one you see on the road gives a crap that you have a 250 and not a 350...and really, if they do, why should you even care? there are just more things to worry about than what people think about your car
Old 04-19-07, 04:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't do it myself but up to you. Don't debadge either cuz whenever people see a debadged car they'll automatically assume the guy got the lower end model and just trying to hide whether it's true or not. If you DO decide to replace the 2 with a 3 just make sure you don't race anyone k? You'll make us 350 owners look bad! Thanks.
Old 04-19-07, 06:05 PM
rjgraham
Driver

god this is like the corvette forum........blah blah blah, I have a coupe I think the Z06 owners don't like me, they are soo much cooler......my 250 only does 0-60 in like 7 seconds.......I wish I could run 13's like an 350.....waaaaa..

It's a Lexus, you bought it for quality and reputation, drive the damn car, who cares. I would never buy a front wheel drive car with more than 200hp.......if I wanted a car with TQ stear that was overpowered for whats good for it I would have gotten a TL -- not.

Quick Reply: 250 vs. 350